Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the longest amount of time you've gone without a drink?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

since i turned 19 (6 1/2 years ago )

on a few occasions i have went for a year or more without even going near a pub
    i've lost a lot of ''friends'' that way but fúck it my life is a lot better without these ''friends'' and i dont blow all my money in the pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Time for some back seat modding

Starbelgrade and lemsiper are both banned from posting in this thread

any problems PM me

i have an ichy foot
    i sent a pm but you have not helped my problem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

A couple of glasses of Baileys twice a year. That's about it. Don't miss it and I'm glad I never really got a taste for it because when I'm feeling down and times are hard (all the time lately) I think it would be nice to drown my sorrows in a glass of something but then I remember the three day hangover that follows a glass or a bottle and decide against it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

A few days before going 20 I fúcked myself up big time on a session, wasnt able to eat much for 3 days afterwards. didn't drink again until about a week after I went 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

A few days before going 20 I fúcked myself up big time on a session, wasnt able to eat much for 3 days afterwards. didn't drink again until about a week after I went 21.

That's horrible Drav, I hope you're well on the road to recovery.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i could easily go a few months without drinking alcohol

i tend to drive a lot when going out as i live a bit far out to be getting taxis and plus it means i avoid drunken antics and horrible hangovers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I went just short of 2 years.

I was 24 and needed to do a little copping on and life direction and needed to save some money to acomplish some goals.

Gave it up and since then i just drink when i want to, which generally is about twice or 3 times a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I quit for about 6 months on my 18th birthday. My mode of transport to and from the local pub at that time was one of the farm tractors, I put it on its roof that night. Happy birthday to me...
    That was 20 years ago have managed not to go very long without since.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Chuileog wrote: »
    I quit for about 6 months on my 18th birthday. My mode of transport to and from the local pub at that time was one of the farm tractors, I put it on its roof that night. Happy birthday to me...
    That was 20 years ago have managed not to go very long without since.

Thank god for roll bars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

15 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Four months when I was 21, as I was on medication at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Lemsiper wrote: »
    You must have misread my question, I didn't mention anything about posting a link to prove you can't understand basic English.

Que?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I made a decision to stop drinking in Feb 2006. So that's 4and a half years I've gone without a drink so far. And I never felt better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

just over 2 years. I like getting high insted...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

kelle wrote: »
    I made a decision to stop drinking in Feb 2006. So that's 4and a half years I've gone without a drink so far. And I never felt better.

Have a few drinks, bet you will feel better then!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

4 or 5 nights. Serious state of self-recrimination now after another 4 day binge weekend and it's affecting a relationship with someone very close to me so think i need to stop! Too heavy for AH...

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    4 or 5 nights. Serious state of self-recrimination now after another 4 day binge weekend and it's affecting a relationship with someone very close to me so think i need to stop! Too heavy for AH...

Ah tell us more. We won't tell anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Ah tell us more. We won't tell anyone.

God I'm so depressed...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,442 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

how about a nice cup of tea?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The longest I have gone without an alcoholic drink is about 3 months, often be a month or a month and a half. The longest I have gone without going out drinking booze is about 6 months though.

• Advertisement

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    God I'm so depressed...

All right, you can stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Rud

18 years

8 years. :)
    Best thing I ever did.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

All of my 20's with a year or two after.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

9 months, break of 5 months, 9 months again...

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭bluecatmorgana

euwh

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

About a year. I gave up drinking alcohol more or less a couple of years ago. Just doesn't suit the old noggin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't know. Not much of a drinker. Don't keep track. About 4 or 5 months I'd say. Probably more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Four months when I was 21, as I was on medication at the time.

Sounds like Roaccutaine to me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

2 weeks when I was in the Sahara Desert.

Oh man, I started to fantasize about a pint of Heineken then!

Advertisement