Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing Pedals aaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh

• 20-09-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭

Someone please save me! Trying to change my original pedals to new clip in ones I bought. One pedal came off ok with 15mm wrench I just got from Wiggle. Second one is a ba5tard of a thing! It's now wrecked my wrench (granted it was only €8 but still...), another cheap adjustable wrench from a toolbox I bought for about a tenner, plus the threads on the pedal are now a bit messed up! Should I put oil on it or what? Next time I know I better spend the money on a decent wrench!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

remember that the one you untightened goes the OPPOSITE way to the one you cant! - try the other way.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You turn the wrench the opposite way to the way you turned it on the first pedal. The thread is reversed (to avoid the pedal coming off from the natural pedalling action)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

First of all, make 'sure' you are trying to turn it the right way - looked at from the back, you press down on the spanner on both pedals while spanner is pointing backwards.
    If you look at the inner part of the pedal spindle - inside of the crank - there me be a recess for a socket-head spanner (big allen key). If so, get a good one and don't let it slip.
    Manipulate the bike some way so that the crank is well supported and you can hold the spanners well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Thanks for the suggestions!

Yes I'm triple sure I'm doing it the right way. I took the left pedal off first which was the reverse direction to normal for opening. The right one is jammed right on. Unfortunately no the original pedals don't have allen key option on the inside, although the new ones do!

Would WD40 or anything help? Thinking I might just bring the bloody thing back to Halfords and offload the problem on them as part of my free servicing deal! :) If the guy putting the bike together in the shop didn't use grease is that a possible cause of this problem?

It's so hard to get the right angle on this thing I have to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Yes, dose it with WD40 and leave it for an hour or two.

A tiny smear of anti-seize grease (copper grease) first day would have prevented this.

When I need to get a stubborn pedal off I use about 3 feet of pipe that just fits over the spanner to give the extra torque. Be QUADRUPLE sure you are turning the right way, and that the wrench is a good fit for the pedal (adjustables can be pretty crap for this), or you'll round off the flats and then you're really goosed... hmmm, just reading your first post suggests you may have partially rounded it all ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

pour a kettle of boiling water over the threaded section, different rates of expansion might be enough to break the bond, just make sure to get the spanner onto the pedal as fast as you can before too much heat transfers into it. Oh and wear gloves ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Failing all that...dismantle the pedal whilst still on the bike (obviously as you cant get it off!)

Youll have a better chance of getting a better grip on it with just the shaft remaining.
    Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Failing all that...dismantle the pedal whilst still on the bike (obviously as you cant get it off!)

Youll have a better chance of getting a better grip on it with just the shaft remaining.
    Marty.

Hehehehehe shaft.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

tunney wrote: »
    Hehehehehe shaft.
    You keep reading those Viz magazines and you *will* go blind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

g0g wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Yes I'm triple sure I'm doing it the right way. I took the left pedal off first which was the reverse direction to normal for opening. The right one is jammed right on. Unfortunately no the original pedals don't have allen key option on the inside, although the new ones do!

Would WD40 or anything help? Thinking I might just bring the bloody thing back to Halfords and offload the problem on them as part of my free servicing deal! :) If the guy putting the bike together in the shop didn't use grease is that a possible cause of this problem?

It's so hard to get the right angle on this thing I have to say!

i had the same issue, lbs never greased pedals and wrecked crank threads getting pedal off. wrecked my hand and mental stability trying with a small (20cm long) pedal wrench, spent 3 hours on i then nest day went to anothe lbs who gave me a loan of their massive wrench..... got it off in two mins, but needed a new crank. make sure you grease up when putting the new ones on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

funkyjebus wrote: »
    wrecked my hand and mental stability trying with a small (20cm long) pedal wrench,
    last time this came up one of the wise guru's suggested putting your chain on the big ring to prevent hand/chainring interactions. Good tip whoever suggested it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

langdang wrote: »
    last time this came up one of the wise guru's suggested putting your chain on the big ring to prevent hand/chainring interactions. Good tip whoever suggested it...

yes indeed.
    Wrench.
    unmoving crank.
    wrench slips.
    Hand moves with great force towards chainring.
    Hand comes in contact with chainring and leaves a loverrly gash on the hand.
    Many expletives used.

langdang wrote: »

I had a hand/chainring interaction that required a few stitches to put right, so defo a good idea to put the chain on the big ring and possibly wear gloves as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Thanks again! Well the bl00dy problem is sorted today!:DBrought the bike to work and headed back to Halford's at lunchtime. The guy there was very helpful and not only took off the pedal but also greased and put on the new ones for me! :) Emailed Wiggle about their dodgy wrench and they said to return it. I realise I bought a cheap one, but would have expected it to be a bit more solid than it was! Thankfully the new pedals anyway have allen key-sytle opening on the back of them.

Wish I'd read that point about the chain and cog yesterday - have a few scars on the fingers today!:(

Advertisement