Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom Watson v Alex Reid - see mod note post 119

• 20-09-2010 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭

Ok ok, i know it's Alex Reid but this fight is live on Bravo on Sat night, perfect start to an MMA nioght wit UFC hours later.

I thought that Watson would destroy Reid, still think he'll win, but how much will he be affected by having fought last week in Canada? He lost a 3 round decision to Jesse Taylor.

It amazes me, how much Bravo have been bigging up this fight, and it's already been cancelled once, that he was allowed to fight 2 weeks before it.

Surely that will affect him in the Reid fight, especially as it went the distance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Taylor did no damage. I assume Tom will be a similar condition as he would be after a training session lol.

With regard to his fighting 2 weeks after the Taylor fight, who'd stop him? The uk has no governing body unfortunately so no one to enforce medical suspensions or the like (although I know there is a mjor push on at the moment to get something up and running)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Taylor did no damage. I assume Tom will be a similar condition as he would be after a training session lol.

With regard to his fighting 2 weeks after the Taylor fight, who'd stop him? The uk has no governing body unfortunately so no one to enforce medical suspensions or the like (although I know there is a mjor push on at the moment to get something up and running)

Totally understand that the uk governing body couldn't enforce anything but surely it was Madness on Bamma/Bravo's part not to tie him to a contract that prevented him from fighting say 2 months before this fight, especially how they've been advertising it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

scudzilla wrote: »
    Totally understand that the uk governing body couldn't enforce anything but surely it was Madness on Bamma/Bravo's part not to tie him to a contract that prevented him from fighting say 2 months before this fight, especially how they've been advertising it

Not considering who they have been advertising....

* insert ufc 116 reaction *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

maybe they thought reid's only really chance is fighting a injured/fatigued Watson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

It is extremely careless that there was no contract signed that stopped Watson from fighting 8-10 weeks prior to this fight. If he got injured or sustained a cut the promotion would be hammered. Still it worked out well for them but still a very amateuresque thing to do by not legally binding Watson to not fight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Based on all the reality TVs shows he's gotten BAMMA/Bravo UK only care about Alex Reid. They want Alex to have the belt so an tired/injured Watson would be something they would be praying for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Like it or not. Alex Reid is the most well known fighter in the UK. The problem is, he is not the best in the UK in his division. He lost to Dean Amasinger, who was the worst fighter on the UK team in TUF 9. This fight will do good numbers but those who follow MMA well enough, know what is going to happen. That is Tom Watson is going to stop Alex Reid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

And what does it say about BAMMA that the challenger for their MW belt is a 6 fight streak? (and I don't mean a winning one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

DrPhilG wrote: »
    And what does it say about BAMMA that the challenger for their MW belt is a 6 foot streak of p*ss? (and I don't mean a winning one).

FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

DrPhilG wrote: »
    And what does it say about BAMMA that the challenger for their MW belt is a 6 fight streak? (and I don't mean a winning one).

nothing, they just want a big "tv" fight.

i think it just means they are trying to cash in on his celebrity big brother status...

but what if reid has been training like a dog and beats watson he has rarely been finished even with 6 in a row.... losses!!

im not sayin he'l win or anythin but he is tough to finish and is a decent striker :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

I am looking forward to watching Gunnar Nelson again. Anyone know anything about the Irish fighter Robert Devane who is on the card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about the Irish fighter Robert Devane who is on the card?

Head guy from martial arts club in dublin I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭bilbo79

Anyone know anything about the Irish fighter Robert Devane who is on the card?

he's trained by ian freeman and just happens to be fighting a can thats 0-1, freeman must be trying to pad his record, 1st opponent was an impressive 1 win-12 losses at pro level, 2nd is 1-1 and 3rd is 2-1 counting his win over devane-thats a total of 4 wins 14 losses so in all honesty you expect another handy night here, go on the irish

I am looking forward to watching Gunnar Nelson again. Anyone know anything about the Irish fighter Robert Devane who is on the card?

Not sure if the whole card is on Bravo, it appears to be only on for an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Not sure if the whole card is on Bravo, it appears to be only on for an hour

I'd say the will be 1-3 fights max-prob just load of chat and ads then the "BIG FIGHT" i think it may actually be close..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

bilbo79 wrote: »
    he's trained by ian freeman and just happens to be fighting a can thats 0-1, freeman must be trying to pad his record, 1st opponent was an impressive 1 win-12 losses at pro level, 2nd is 1-1 and 3rd is 2-1 counting his win over devane-thats a total of 4 wins 14 losses so in all honesty you expect another handy night here, go on the irish
    :rolleyes: @ internet fans.

Somebody has only had one fight and lost so he is a 'can'? According to MMAUniverse Devane is 2-1 himself so on paper that looks relatively evenly matched experience wise.

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    :rolleyes: @ internet fans.

Somebody has only had one fight and lost so he is a 'can'? According to MMAUniverse Devane is 2-1 himself so on paper that looks relatively evenly matched experience wise.

At first glance i thought that said DEVORE was fighting!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭viper.10

Devastator wrote: »
    maybe they thought reid's only really chance is fighting a injured/fatigued Watson

and to be honest i'd say it is his only chance. reid would have been better training like a beast in his own club instead of flying around from country to country learning all these new fighting techiques. all bravo care about is making a new reality show like "what alex did next" or something. if watson didn't get hurt or isn't to tired after that last fight of his i honestly cant see him losing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Kieran81

anyone see any news on the weigh ins, apparantly a certain mr katie price was a no-show....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Fighters weigh in for BAMMA 4

Friday, 24 September 2010 18:52 Written by Hywel Teague

The fighters took to the scale ahead of BAMMA 4 today and there was plenty of drama to accompany proceedings.
    Most notable was the absenteeism of Alex Reid, co-star of the main event. The London-based fighter was delayed by traffic and missed the official weigh-in. Watson has accepted the fight and the bout will still go ahead, but Reid will be penalised accordingly as stated in his contract.
    Watson weighed in at 184lb, one pound under the cutoff for middleweight. The champ looked slim and trim and had no problems making weight, but had sharp words for the missing challenger. “Maybe Alex is too much of a superstar to be here. The official weigh-in was 3pm. I don’t want to say too much because maybe there’s a reason why he’s not here, but…”
    Reid wasn’t the only fighter not to make the official weigh-in, although James Zikic had a very valid reason for not being there. After checking his weight on the official scale, a confused taxi driver took him to the wrong stadium! Zikic hurried back and weighed in at 184lb just within the one hour cut off.
    Even after multiple attempts, his opponent John Phillips simply couldn’t make weight. The Welsh scrapper made repeated trips to the sauna and used his full hour allowance to try and get to the 185lb limit, but could go no lower than 187lb. Zikic conferred with his management but accepted the fight, meaning the middleweight co-main event will still go ahead.
    BAMMA 4 takes place this weekend, September 25th 2010 at the NIA Arena in Birmingham. Tickets are available at www.ticketfactory.co.uk. For more information on the event go to www.bamma.com.
    Weigh-in results
    Tom Watson 184lb
    Alex Reid 183lb

James Zikic 184lb
    John Phillips 187lb

Gunnar Nelson 169lb
    Eugene Fadiora 170lb

Marcos Santi 170.5lb
    Simeon Thoresen 170lb

AJ Wenn 156lb
    Tim Newman 155lb

Scott Jansen 155lb
    Stuart Davies 155lb

David Round 156lb
    Harvey Harra 155lb

Sam Elsdon 170.5lb
    Charlie Leary 170lb

Shah Hussein 174lb
    Tom Breese 171lb

Robert Devane 185lb
    Colin Lewis 187.5lb

==

img_7134.jpg

img_7092.jpg

• Advertisement

Here's the fightcard with pictures :pac:
    http://www.bamma.net/index.php/tickets/fightcard.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Sorry i see there is an entire thread on this already :o

Apparently the main event (Alex Reid (Mr Jordan) and Tom Watson) will be on Bravo tonight from 10, they won't be showing much of the card, mostly some background stuff on Reid.

Gunnar Nelson (Iceland, but very familiar with Irish) is fighting and so Is Robert Devane who owns a gym in Ireland, not sure exactly who he's training with leading up to this fight.

From what I read just there on cagewarriors.com/forums most of the show will be repeated on friday week on bravo.

Good luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Apparently the main event (Alex Reid (Mr Jordan) and Tom Watson) will be on Bravo tonight from 10, they won't be showing much of the card, mostly some background stuff on Reid.

Gunnar Nelson (Iceland, but very familiar with Irish) is fighting and so Is Robert Devane who owns a gym in Ireland, not sure exactly who he's training with leading up to this fight.

From what I read just there on cagewarriors.com/forums most of the show will be repeated on friday week on bravo.

Good luck to them

Yeah so that's Ireland's devane on the card.

Devane is an Irish fighter I have absolutely no intention on supporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

unknown13 wrote: »

Why what did he do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

unknown13 wrote: »

Why?.

People can talk about Individual fighters but please, no fighter bashing-but the club he represents took legal action on here because they where discussed and are not to be discussed for these reasons, thanks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

The charter says we cant discuss the club or the coaches. But as a fighter can we discuss him?

The charter says we cant discuss the club or the coaches. But as a fighter can we discuss him?

Yes but only him.

• Advertisement

Yes but just not in that club's capacity, just as another fighter..

talk about fighter, not club/coaches etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Cool. Dunno anything about his opponent tonight.
    Rob I think is coached by Ian Freeman and hasnt really fought any tough tough fighters. His 1st fight he pretty much fought against a punch bag. Think hes had 2 other fights. 1 he won 1 he lost. The fighter he beat had a huge losing record and think the other fighter was 1-0.

BAMMA are pretty much saying before the fight begins who they want to win.
    Take a guess who it is?

I smell possibly a dodgy decision happening tonight.

He was training in Zahabi in the run up to the fight I think.

He was training in Zahabi in the run up to the fight I think.

Zahadi is overrated. Ken Flo proved that.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

any linky's to the fight? don't have bravo :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭bigdogbarking

got it, cheers!

Anyone have the results so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

got it, cheers!

care to share?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

alex deserves to lose for his entrance alone....

An inflatible banana nearly knocked reid out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭kc87

was jus gonna post i hope alex does well

THEN
    wtf is that entrance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

Any stream please?

EDIT: Found them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAMMA_4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

/pm

C'MON KONG!!

show this z list 'celeb' he's better off trying to get his mug in the scabloids

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Sorry dont have a stream im watching it on sky player. Whats the story with the gorilla entrance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

I hope Alex Reid wins. Seems like a decent guy. I never liked Tom Watson and I like the underdog.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

EDIT: Found them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAMMA_4

Holy **** the amount of choke victories tonight is incredible

Whats the story with the gorilla entrance?
    Probably something to do with his Kong nickname.

Sorry dont have a stream im watching it on sky player. Whats the story with the gorilla entrance?

:confused: his nickname's "kong"....maybe you've heard that in a film with the first word as "King"....it weren't about gorilla's though:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement