Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom Watson v Alex Reid - see mod note post 119

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Onearmedbandit

Prediction time: Rd 1 knockout Kong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

Reid looks pretty good!

That was a weird one. Must be something wrong with Watson :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

WHY do they need such a big shiny sponser logo on the octogon floor? :mad:

Fighters dont look very steady when they're on it

_oveless wrote: »
    Reid looks pretty good!

Have to agree, Round 1 to Reid

That was a weird one. Must be something wrong with Watson :pac:

going 3 rounds with jesse taylor(banned TUF finalist) in Canda just over a week(or 2?) ago couldnt have helped

Devastator wrote: »
    going 3 rounds with jesse taylor(banned TUF finalist) in Canda just over a week(or 2?) ago couldnt have helped

Yep looks like it is certainly taking its toll, although I have never seen Watson fight before so I could be wrong.

Kong has had a hold of his neck loads of times and not even looked like trying to throw his knee's at him :confused:

Hell of a fight so far :D

• Advertisement

Im agreeing with the commentators 1 - 1. Nice knee towards the end by Watson

2-1 Watson Imo. Both fighters are pretty gassed now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

the fight is rigged.

watson has rocked reid a few times. after the knee in particular you can see watson clearing checking on reid rather than putting him away.

piss of s*it.

LighterGuy wrote: »
    the fight is rigged.

watson has rocked reid a few times. after the knee in particular you can see watson clearing checking on reid rather than putting him away.

piss of s*it.

I don't think so. Anyways Watson has this in the bag, but reid showed he belonged in there with him.

_oveless wrote: »
    I don't think so. Anyways Watson has this in the bag, but reid showed he belonged in there with him.

I concur, why the fcuk did the ref stand them up there?

nah man, watson has rocked reid a few times. had plenty of chances to put him away. but he suddenly stops.
    you can see it in his body language.

as i write this the fight is just over and awaiting the judge decsion.

i reckon they'll give it to reid. even tho watson really won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Fair play to him, showed lots of balls and brought it close enough, i think watson won but would not be suprised if reid won,...

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭kc87

great fight. reminded me of griffin-bonnar 1

They'll give it to Watson, if they dont then LighterGuy is right. Either that or Cecil Pepils is now judging for BAMMA

:rolleyes: alrready with the rematch remarks :rolleyes:

commentator is a root....mustn'y have the word "combination" in his vocabulary...how many times did he say "punches in bunches"

I don't think Reid looked like he belonged in there, commentators were obviously building up the bravo fighter

Well it's official,
    Watson wins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

sigh....

So they gave it to Watson. The true winner.

That match was rigged. Dont care what anyone says.

Rematch so. Psssh. I wasted an hour of my life. lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Good fight all the same, was suprised by 1) Reid's striking ability from the first & 2) that the fight went to the distance, did not think Reid had that in him. Technically the grappling and takedowns were quite poor, but a brawl with both fighters showing great heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Had it 49-46 for Watson, Reid took the first on my card then Watson beat him around the cage but couldn't finish him any of the times.

Also WTF; those commentators should be ashamed. They couldn't have licked Reid's arse any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

kc87 wrote: »
    great fight. reminded me of griffin-bonnar 1

I lol'd

I also had Watson 49-46, I think that maybe his recent fight might have stopped him having the knockout power required, although Reid took some good shots and still stayed up.

If I saw that fight on a UFC card I would definitely not be disappointed. The commentators did piss me off something huge though. Stop ****eing on about a rematch. One of them said the arena was full but I saw empty seats everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Poor form from Watson mentioning his fight 2 weeks ago and claiming that he didnt have much time to train for Reid fight, very un-professional, as if to say if he didnt fight two weeks ago he would have steamrolled him. Fact is he did fight two weeks ago and its his own responsibility to come into every fight 100%.

So they gave it to Watson. The true winner.

That match was rigged.

thats moronic rather than ironic

seriously.....how can you say the true winner AND the fight was rigged? Do you sniff glue? :rolleyes:

One thing we learned about Watson in this fight is that his finishing ability is below par and needs to be worked on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

If i had paid to see it there live I might have been drunk enough to enjoy it ;)

As for the commentators, they even had time to big up a fight for Bob Sapp as if that's worth big upping :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

unknown13 wrote: »
    One thing we learned about Watson in this fight is that his finishing ability is below par and needs to be worked on.

His takedowns also are not up to much.

chordtype wrote: »
    His takedowns also are not up to much.

Yeah but Reid is out of London Shootfighters and Dan Hardy said "that club has a good wrestling coach" but Tom Watson should work on them more because they weren't that effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭kc87

calex71 wrote: »
    I lol'd

why.

garuntee if there was a fight like that in the ufc tonight ya'd be raving about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Was a good fight but of not a great quality to an experienced MMA fan.

Bit like watching Man Utd every week then just tuning into a good Second division match.

What lol'd hard at was the interviewer at the end, we'd just watched 2 guys batter the crap outta each other and he apoligised to viewers in case they were offended that Reid had said the word 'Shiit'!!!

In terms of technique it was definitely nowhere near top class but it was an exciting back and forth affair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

It was an enjoyable scrap to watch. Plenty of stand up action. I'm not a massive mma enthusiast but even to my untrained eye it looked as if Watson could have taken it to ground numerous times and finished him after he rocked him with some serious shots.

To me it looked like the perfect advertisement for mma if you were trying to sell mma to people who had never watched it before. It's almost as if they were instructed to keep the fight upright. Reid got up off the floor and turned Watson around from against the side of the cage far too easily for the fight to be taken seriously as a genuine mma title fight.

If you would have never seen an MMA fight before then this fight wouldn't do the sport any harm. Lots of stand up action, no real ground game to speak off and no real controversy. If you've seen a bit of MMA then, although it was an acceptable fight, it wouldn't have set your world on fire. Both guys lacked any finishing power and had some flaws in their game. Watson's cardio was decent but Reid's went downhill fast after the first round.

When you look at the wider picture the sport comes out quite well from this IMO. It'll probably be the most watched MMA fight in the UK this year (ever?) and because it was Alex Reid you'd have to think that a lot of those watching haven't followed the sport for so long. They saw a decent exciting fight. Can't complain about that.

That's not to say it was perferct though. The presentation had some major flaws though. When they cut away to the rules at the start of the show I laughed.
    5 x 5 minute rounds
    4oz gloves
    Win by KO, TKO or submission

Wow. Really they are wearing 4oz gloves. No attempts to change the perception that stuff like groin shots, headbutts or hair pulling is allowed. Even UFC usually addresses these rules. No mention of how the judging worked either. Just little things that they didn't pay attention to that people don't know. Still though it turned out a lot better than a lot of people thought it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

This is the first MMA fight i've watched, just mainly to see Watson kick the sh*t into Alex Reid, but other than the horrific commentating, i rather enjoyed it..

This is the first MMA fight i've watched, just mainly to see Watson kick the sh*t into Alex Reid, but other than the horrific commentating, i rather enjoyed it..

Cool. BTW, the UFC have event on tonight if you want to check it out. The standard is alot higher than BAMMA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Only got to see the first 4 rounds thanks to Sky + stopping at the start of the fifth round :mad: Not a bad fight for what I seen.

unknown13 wrote: »
    Cool. BTW, the UFC have event on tonight if you want to check it out. The standard is alot higher than BAMMA.

I shouldn't really be saying that because if Kong fought Bisping. I would go for Kong in that fight.

thats moronic rather than ironic

seriously.....how can you say the true winner AND the fight was rigged? Do you sniff glue? :rolleyes:

where you watching the same fight as me?
    Watch it again on youtube when its up. Watson had a good few chances to put Reid out. He must of been told to put on a show. Watch as he heistates to finish it at certain points.

Even the judges decisions were a joke. They scored it pretty much 53% Watson, 47% Reid. To give Reid a little face.

Even the judges decisions were a joke. They scored it pretty much 53% Watson, 47% Reid. To give Reid a little face.

2 of them scored it 49-46 which when you look at it and score the fight yourself it makes sense.

Reid won the first round 10-9. Watson won the rest 10-9. There was no real 10-8 rounds. Makes sense to me.

10-8's are dont have to be used against a fighter if he gets rocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

Watson had a good few chances to put Reid out. He must of been told to put on a show. Watch as he heistates to finish it at certain points.

Your spot on, the fight itself was not rigged but they were definately told to put on a show. It was blatantly obvious in the 5th when Reid was out on his feet and wobbled and Watson took him down. Can't really blame BAMMA to be honest they are trying to gain popularity and did so tonight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Only got to see the first 4 rounds thanks to Sky + stopping at the start of the fifth round :mad: Not a bad fight for what I seen.

You should blame Bravo for all the ****e talking they had before the actual fight.

think the full card is being shown on Friday night
    where you watching the same fight as me?
    Watch it again on youtube when its up. Watson had a good few chances to put Reid out. He must of been told to put on a show. Watch as he heistates to finish it at certain points.

well, chordtype has already put your ridiculous percentage arguement to bed.

yeah your obviously right it was rigged so the best fighter could win....as I've already said moronic and not ironic that statement :rolleyes:

I've seen plenty of fights were a fighter has been wobbly and not been finished.....suppose all these fights are rigged too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Devastator - do you not think Watson could have taken him out earlier if he had wanted?. I'm no expert but I thought the couple of times he had him on the floor he let him up far too easily. Any time they were in a clinch against the side of the cage Reid was able to roll out of it far too easily. Watson rarely threw the knee when they were clinching even though Reid was wide open.

I don't think the fight was rigged but I do think they were told to keep it as upright as possible to make it a bit more of a spectacle. We've all seen the mma fights where they spend the entire fight grappling on the floor and they can be piss poor to watch. I know people who know what they are looking at can enjoy that sort of fight but to the casual watcher it can be frustrating to watch.

I've seen plenty of fights were a fighter has been wobbly and not been finished.....suppose all these fights are rigged too :rolleyes:

Yeah we saw one a few hours later with the ufc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

:rolleyes: alrready with the rematch remarks :rolleyes:

commentator is a root....mustn'y have the word "combination" in his vocabulary...how many times did he say "punches in bunches"

I don't think Reid looked like he belonged in there, commentators were obviously building up the bravo fighter

Thought that was funny al right, when I heard it first I was thinking more on lines of "ah....maybe we should finish this match first before we talk rematch".

• Advertisement
Advertisement