Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone just not fitting in?

Options
  • 20-09-2010 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

everyone seems to be having a mad time? I want to go out and stuff but i havnt met anyone to go out with? just wondering..anyone else?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

I was in this boat a couple of years ago. Fitting in can be hard work in UCD, the place is so big! The best thing to do is to go to everything, society events, freshers events, lectures, and tutorials are key - I'm still friends with the people I spoke to in my first ever tutorial. It can be hard to put yourself out there, but keep trying. Chat to everyone, in queues, beside you in lectures, even on the bus on the way in, and ask people to come to stuff with you. A lot of people are feeling this way, don't let it get you down.
    This is freshers week, sign up to as many societies and clubs as you like, and go to all their events, lots of these are designed for freshers to meet new people.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I'm kind of in the same boat. It's not that I can't approach people, it's that I can't seem to find an opportunity to talk to someone, or even an interesting conversation topic. Also not being able to go to a lot of freshers' events is a massive letdown. Luckily Student Bar lets me in grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Yeahhh

Ruski wrote: »
    I'm kind of in the same boat. It's not that I can't approach people, it's that I can't seem to find an opportunity to talk to someone, or even an interesting conversation topic. Also not being able to go to a lot of freshers' events is a massive letdown. Luckily Student Bar lets me in grand.

Same. It's not that I haven't talked to people. And I'm actually beaming with confidence. I talk to people all the time. I just haven't clicked greatly with anyone. So I haven't been out alot. I feel left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Go over to the freshers tent :) They have about 50 societies you can join and there really is something for everyone I joined loads of them today. Only 2 euro each too. Its easier to make friends because you already have at least one thing in common. Sports registration is next week I think.

Did you have any small groups or anything in your course during orientation week? You could try to look around for some of those people of you did because chances are they're feeling the same.

I'm a fresher too and UCD is just so huge. I was over in the arts building the other day and it was insane. So many people! I think you have to get to know about 10 people that are in your course properly rather than having loads of acquaintances from everywhere. But if you had a smaller group try getting to know some of them because my group was great still see them everyday and getting to know them. Labs and tutorials were good this week because there were way less people so I'd say you get to know them pretty well after awhile. Good luck and I'm sure it'll get better for you really soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Sports is this week in the sports Expo.

Yeah guys your best bet if you're under 18 is societies. If you have no fear of debating I'd suggest you sign up for the maidens competition through L&H or Lawsoc to get into those societies.

I don't really know how you get into the other big ones. (Commerce involves some description or orgy? And I think to get into Qsoc you have to fail a year?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

errlloyd wrote: »
    And I think to get into Qsoc you have to fail a year?

Oh dear. I joined q soc today.:o

kev9100 wrote: »

I just mean to get up onto the committee...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

kev9100 wrote: »

What is Qsoc? And, more importantly, free stuff?

Quinn Society.

IE Business society. They had better free **** last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Conor108 wrote: »
    What is Qsoc? And, more importantly, free stuff?

No idea. The girl at the stand just said they organise a lot of parties and then gave me bag with a load of free stuff. I signed up:D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

im the same - talked to a few, give them a smile when i walk past on the way to lectures etc. but noone to hang out with for going out or anything, plus im 17 so if i want to make good friends on a night out, i cant:rolleyes:

Well I'll be the amazing, attractive and talented guy in Intro to Computer Programming 1 tomorrow at 10 if anyone will be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Well I'll be the amazing, attractive and talented guy in Intro to Computer Programming 1 tomorrow at 10 if anyone will be there?
    Competition, eh?

Ruski wrote: »
    Competition, eh?

Its on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Get chatting to the people in tutorials. Go to a history soc talk (free wine reception) there does be a few sound people there. First time I went I had less than a fiver... didn't get home till about 4 in the morning, I think the phrase "transmonglified" comes to mind.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Yeahhh wrote: »
    everyone seems to be having a mad time? I want to go out and stuff but i havnt met anyone to go out with? just wondering..anyone else?:rolleyes:

Have you talked to anyone in lectures? Also join clubs and societies. There is a crazy amount of sports clubs in UCD and the amount of societies aswell is also mad. The clubs and soc's will arrange nights outs and gatherings and you will meet people there.

BTW; You don't have to do the subject to join the subject's society in case you taught that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Do you remember the secret handshake? I'll just look for the fella NOT in all my other lectures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Join a few societies and make a consistent effort to get yourself out there; just get involved. If you miss the boat with the societies, you may find yourself in a pretty poor predicament, losing the opportunity to meet a good few people outside of your course.

Whether it be SVP, Cumann Gaelach, canoe, Fine Gael, dodge-ball or whatever, commit yourself to extracurricular activities and you will not go wrong. Fail to do that, and you'll have a harder time fitting in with a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Join a few societies and make a consistent effort to get yourself out there; just get involved. If you miss the boat with the societies, you may find yourself in a pretty poor predicament, losing the opportunity to meet a good few people outside of your course.
    Wait, do societies have a join-by date?

I've been here a year and I still don't know what the craic with anything is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Davidius wrote: »
    Wait, do societies have a join-by date?

I've been here a year and I still don't know what the craic with anything is.

No, they don't actually. But I'd think it would be easier to meet other first years in a society and become good friends with them when everybody is unfamiliar with one another, college, the society etc. than joining one in, say, November or January when the other first years will have settled in already etc.

But I'm sure everybody is different and this comment is more speculation than anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Why don't you arrange a meet up? Can't do any harm

unless a murderer comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    unless a murderer comes!

heehee. But seriously, college is meant to be a great time in your life - why waste any of it feeling awkward and lonely? Just put yourself out there a bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Make sure the first person you talk to isn't weird. The last thing you want it to click with some weirdo who also knows absolutely no one so you're basically stuck with him. I know it's a shítty piece of advice but please be careful, there are also a lot of absolute creeps in UCD and you'd want to avoid them as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

Make sure the first person you talk to isn't weird. The last thing you want it to click with some weirdo who also knows absolutely no one so you're basically stuck with him. I know it's a shítty piece of advice but please be careful, there are also a lot of absolute creeps in UCD and you'd want to avoid them as much as possible.

What kinda creeps? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Just be sure to note that people who are quiet or socially awkward do not qualify as creeps.

I don't have a college social life and I'm still mentally well-adjusted after all. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Just be sure to note that people who are quiet or socially awkward do not qualify as creeps.

I don't have a college social life and I'm still mentally well-adjusted after all. :pac:

Do you stay at home and play lambs instead?;)

There's no creeps, you have to go to coppers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Rii

That's a bit harsh :rolleyes:

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Quiet people tend to be the soundest by far, it's the loud cúnts who talk too much and try too hard that are creeps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Quiet people tend to be the soundest by far, it's the loud cúnts who talk too much and try too hard that are creeps.

You seem to be giving mixed messages there bud.

The quiet loner weirdo

And the loud obnoxious hail-fellow-well-met main man.

Two separate entries in the book of character cliches.

Just be open minded and you'll do better. Having a weirdo radar is synonymous with backward thinking high-schoolers.

Advertisement