Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone just not fitting in?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Yeahhh

You seem to be giving mixed messages there bud.

The quiet loner weirdo

And the loud obnoxious hail-fellow-well-met main man.

Two separate entries in the book of character cliches.

Just be open minded and you'll do better. Having a weirdo radar is synonymous with backward thinking high-schoolers.

Lol I agree. If I want to make mates I'm hardly going to have a pre creted list of people I won't talk to... It sorta defys the point :rolleyes:

Go to societies, make conversation with people in your class.

That's it. Simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭d10carter

kinda but not exactly making much of an effort. just hang out with friends from estate/school. im quiet but im not a weirdo loner but its just hard to form a bond with anyone in arts really. will prob get 2 know a few people playing rugby tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

d10carter wrote: »
    will prob get 2 know a few people playing rugby tho.

I'll be one, if like me you're utterly ****e and jsut there for the craic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Well dont worry about it anyway, as much as it sucks ass having to get up and go into a massive university without knowing anyone every day it is only temporary. Youre there for three or four years, you'll meet people loads of different ways so dont think(as i did, idiot that i was) that if you dont have a group of friends early on you'll have trouble later.

I wasnt all that confident when i started and still amnt really but the vast majority of people are sound in there so have a chat with anyone youre beside for more then a minute or two. Ultimately you might not be best mates from that moment on but youre building relationships all over the college and you just dont know how they'll work out as you bump into people more and more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I came to UCD with a firm group of friends that I had known for years, and within about 5 months, I saw them all less than once a week. It was the worst decision I have made so far, to stick within my comfort zone, because now I am in second year, and I know absolutely nobody in my course :)

But, c'est la vie :) I don't fit in at the minute, and that's okay :) Though I do find small group language classes are useful to get to know people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

yeah i'm having trouble fitting in all right. i'm in first year and i'm 25. so i'm kind of stuck in between the school leavers that i wont have much in common with and the other mature students who are married with kids. find it really hard sitting in a lecture with 500 people. there's 150 people in my class and i know 4 of them but they're 17/18, so it's a bit of a nightmare. joined the volunteering overseas society so hopefully i'll meet some people through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Gax

Join the trampoling club, that's where it is AT i hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Bobby42 wrote: »
    yeah i'm having trouble fitting in all right. i'm in first year and i'm 25. so i'm kind of stuck in between the school leavers that i wont have much in common with and the other mature students who are married with kids. find it really hard sitting in a lecture with 500 people. there's 150 people in my class and i know 4 of them but they're 17/18, so it's a bit of a nightmare. joined the volunteering overseas society so hopefully i'll meet some people through that.

Im 25 too and in second year so i know exactly what you mean about being smack bang in the middle. What course are you doing?

I'm doing social science. i love the way the course has the word social in it, its anything but. i was sitting beside some other mature students today and all they were talking about how they have to get their kids to school before they go to college, and the school leavers were like - yeah i was in primary school when you were doing your leaving cert!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I'm doing social science. i love the way the course has the word social in it, its anything but. i was sitting beside some other mature students today and all they were talking about how they have to get their kids to school before they go to college, and the school leavers were like - yeah i was in primary school when you were doing your leaving cert!!!

Yes, there are a load of mature students but there are some people in their 20's doing the course. If you come along to the Social Science night out on Monday you might meet them.

yeah i'll go along to that all right, could be a laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

It's in a way worse for someone who is 18 and feeling like they're not fitting in. It feels like: I am the epitome of a student and I know from TV and film what it's meant to be like to be a student; yet that's not what it's like for me at all! Where are all the parties? What am I gonna do with all this free contraception? :D:D:D

The scourge of social life is groupiness (that you don't happen to be part of, or if you are part of it, are unhappy about your position). People from school can still have groups that they hang around with.

But people in college are all adults (or for the handful that aren't: nail varnish remover or a couple of months will soon cure that).

Extra-curricular activities are not, or at least should not, be subject to any sort of age criteria (rugby I believe is exclusive in this respect). Having some skill or aptitude or good personality is a bit more important than the details of your birth cert ;)

For instance when I play poker I play with all ages from people who are 18 (or pretend to be 18) to people in their 70s and 80s, even though it has a reputation as an exclusively 'young' thing to do.

You might find your lectures to be a waste of time socially (but that ain't why you're there in the first place) but you should hopefully be able to make connections outside of that.

Advertisement