Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trap names squad for qualifiers

• 20-09-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

Shay Given (Manchester City)
    Kieran Westwood (Coventry City)
    Joe Murphy (Scunthorpe United)
    John O'Shea (Manchester United)
    Richard Dunne (Aston Villa)
    Sean St Ledger (Preston North End)
    Greg Cunningham (Manchester City)
    Kevin Foley (Wolves)
    Stephen Kelly (Fulham)
    Paul McShane (Hull City)
    Darren O'Dea (Ipswich Town)
    Kevin Kilbane (Hull City)
    Keith Andrews (Blackburn Rovers)
    Glenn Whelan (Stoke City)
    Darron Gibson (Manchester United)
    Paul Green (Derby County)
    Liam Lawrence (Portsmouth)
    Aiden McGeady (Spartak Moscow)
    Andy Keogh (Cardiff City)
    Damien Duff (Fulham)
    Keith Fahey (Birmingham City)
    Keith Treacy (Preston North End)
    Robbie Keane (Tottenham Hotspur)
    Kevin Doyle (Wolves)
    Shane Long (Reading)
    Cillian Sheridan (CSKA Sofia)

For me, five obvious players being blanked:

Stephen Ward - This is the one the one that baffles me most. Should have started the brand new campaign as first choice left back, never mind left out completely for a youth that has hardly any competitive games under his belt.

James McCarthy - Only 19, but fast becoming a far bigger elephant in the room than Andy Reid. He isn't the 'bash brother' central midfielder that Trap loves, but surely at least an option worth having on the bench if Plan A is failing?

Seamus Coleman - We're pretty well covered at right back, but as a right winger has more attacking cutting edge in his little finger than Andy Keogh who is a striker often introduced out of position for Ireland.

Marc Wilson - McShane. Enough said. :mad:

Anthony Stokes - The thought of an injury to Keane is frightening. Bottom half SPL teams are arguably a lower standard than the Championship, yet he's a player full of confidence, unlike Long.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Anthony Stokes - The thought of an injury to Keane is frightening. Bottom half SPL teams are arguably a lower standard than the Championship, yet he's a player full of confidence, unlike Long.

He is with Celtic now :D he should be in ahead of Sheridan for me,

Hopefully Duff can get back to decent fitness, even half fit he is a must for us,

Looking forward to these games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

He is with Celtic now :D he should be in ahead of Sheridan for me,

Hopefully Duff can get back to decent fitness, even half fit he is a must for us,

Looking forward to these games

Was referring to his league opposition. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'd have Stokes over Sheridan or Keogh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Paul Mc-Fcukin-Shane, again?

The guy is so bad, he has a 9 minute compilation video of some of the most horrific examples of defending that have ever been seen on a football field.

I watched him play for Hull against Nottingham Forest at the weekend there, he was so awful that a 19 year rookie had to constantly cover for his mistakes. I'm honest enough to admit that our squad isn't the strongest, but surely we have better options than Paul Mc-Fcukin-Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It's a travesty that he is still being included in Ireland squads. It's not like there isn't good alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Didn't Dunphy suggest on RTE that McCarthy has been blacklisted by Trap for refusing to join some meet-up training camp in the summer? If this is the reason then surely something can be done to sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Surely no one has gone more out of their way to show they want to play for Ireland than James McCarthy. A joke he's not in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Paul McShane?! Oh Christ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Trap drives me mad! Theres no justification to some of them selections and omissions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Surely no one has gone more out of their way to show they want to play for Ireland than James McCarthy
    I am sure him skipping the summer training camp and friendlies made up Trap's mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Traps not interested in bringing in youth for the future, hel be gone with all his money in 2012, and be laughing at how bad we are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Traps not interested in bringing in youth for the future, hel be gone with all his money in 2012, and be laughing at how bad we are.

That's so Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

That's so Irish.

There's an element of truth to it.

He's done a good job, but i'm tired of people lauding trap and lamenting our lack of talent, when talent like McCarthy, Coleman, Foley etc aren't getting a chance.

We're doing well, we could be doing better. imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

That's so Irish.
    So true more like, honestly, hes doing a terrible job, what must these young lads do to get a chance, its a disgrace. Kilbane is gona be murdered against Slovakia and Russia, and if we do end up qualifying in 2 years you can be sure Trap will stick to what got us there and pick Kilbane again.:rolleyes:
    Its the Irish mentality settling for the sh*te we have had with Trap, thiking hes great for getting us 2nd to Italy in the group and scraping draws and the odd 1 nil win.:( Were better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Very very harsh on Wilson.
    He's a very good player, and nothing like Paul McShane.

Obviously someone is commenting on a player who they haven't watched much.

Doocey wrote: »
    Very very harsh on Wilson.
    He's a very good player, and nothing like Paul McShane.

Obviously someone is commenting on a player who they haven't watched much.

Erm, you've totally misinterpreted me. I was bemoaning the inclusion of the Kilpedder Cannavaro instead of him, not comparing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Erm, you've totally misinterpreted me. I was bemoaning the inclusion of the Kilpedder Cannavaro instead of him, not comparing.

Indeed I did.
    Apologies! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I too disagree with some of Traps selections but what's more important is that I do trust his judgement.
    He plays football the way he wants to play it and he doesn't allow external forces, media or fans, alter his decision making. This for me is heartening, I would be concerned if we had a manager who bowed to the crys made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Stephen Ward - This is the one the one that baffles me most. Should have started the brand new campaign as first choice left back, never mind left out completely for a youth that has hardly any competitive games under his belt.
    Ward was directly at fault for the 2 goals Wolves conceded at the weekend. Probably didnt impact Trap's thinking, but bad timing nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Is Rory Delap retired from International Football? He would be a better choice than Green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Didn't Dunphy suggest on RTE that McCarthy has been blacklisted by Trap for refusing to join some meet-up training camp in the summer? If this is the reason then surely something can be done to sort it out.

Well then Trap is right, hes not going to bother with players who dont want to apply themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Its becoming obvious that trap will not call up new players, that he hasnt seen at his end of season training camps. During a campaing, he only plays players from this pool and wont look at others. It doesnt really matter what sort of form you are in, if you werent picked/didnt go he wont pick you.

He sticks with his tried and trusted players and will not move from them at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Marc Wilson is a better CM player than anyone in our squad.

FFS Stoke signed him there and play him first choice, while Whelan sits on the bench.

Is it so much to ask for the best players to be picked and rubbish to be removed?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

event wrote: »
    Its becoming obvious that trap will not call up new players, that he hasnt seen at his end of season training camps. During a campaing, he only plays players from this pool and wont look at others. It doesnt really matter what sort of form you are in, if you werent picked/didnt go he wont pick you.

He sticks with his tried and trusted players and will not move from them at all.

Agreed, it is pathetic.

He won't drop players who never play for their clubs, he won't pick in form players.

I like Sheridan, but I would be fairly sure he's not keeping up to date with his progress in Bulgaria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

DB10 wrote: »

FFS Stoke signed him there and play him first choice, while Whelan sits on the bench.

Is it so much to ask for the best players to be picked and rubbish to be removed?

Whelan has done nothing wrong at international level that suggests he needs to be removed from the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The funny thing is Sheridan has been in poor form for CSKA Sofia. He was taken off at half-time in the last game where they were beaten 1-0 in a derby.

If you're in good form and playing games but not in 'the pool' you don't get in. It stinks but it's the way it is. Most Irish fans won't complain about it because they remember the results and forget the dross of the performances.

It's a bit like a college kid that doesn't do the study and buy the right books but still gets the grades. The parents won't kick off until he actually fails. Likewise most Irish fans will spout statistics about how we have six points from six, we're a useless team and Trap is making wine from water etc. I just don't buy this. We're not Brazil or Spain and aren't going to be any time soon but we can maximise the talent we have and actually give it our best shot.

We have had close shaves in the past, especially the last campaign, where we were totally outclassed by teams at times and bailed out by last ditch Richard Dunne tackles (vs Cyprus, Bulgaria) and had fortunate refereeing decisions go our way (away to Italy, home to Georgia).

I have a real fear that we could soon flunk our tests against Russia and Slovakia, and only then will the inquisition properly begin.

He has too much of an eye for a pass for Trap's liking to play him from what I saw against Villa. Saying that, Wilson is a very versatile player who can also play full back and centre half so it's a bit of a puzzle why the likes of McShane and O'Dea are preferred.

Personally I'm not confident at all going into the double header. Playing old man ZZ Kilbane who can't even get a game for Hull in the Championship these days against Russia is a recipe for disaster. It's like a car crash everyone except the driver is anticipating to happen.

I doff my hat to Trap if we get 4-6 pts from the next two games, however there's a hell of a lot of ammo against him if we get next to nothing.
    Whelan has done nothing wrong at international level that suggests he needs to be removed from the squad.

I think the 'rubbish' comment was aimed more at Green tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Vaguely remember soething about that, hopefully this is not another Andy Reid scenario. McCarthy IMO should be starting.
    And Cillian Sheridan? Ahead of Anthony Stokes? Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

He has too much of an eye for a pass for Trap's liking to play him from what I saw against Villa. Saying that, Wilson is a very versatile player who can also play full back and centre half so it's a bit of a puzzle why the likes of McShane and O'Dea are preferred.

Personally I'm not confident at all going into the double header. Playing old man ZZ Kilbane who can't even get a game for Hull in the Championship these days against Russia is a recipe for disaster. It's like a car crash everyone except the driver is anticipating to happen.

I doff my hat to Trap if we get 4-6 pts from the next two games, however there's a hell of a lot of ammo against him if we get next to nothing.

I think the 'rubbish' comment was aimed more at Green tbh.

While I agree about Kilbane, Russia are a spent force and I am expecting at
    least a draw. They are no great shakes these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Nah, Wilson was dropped by Stoke at the weekend too (had been taken off in the previous game). And unlike Whelan didnt get to come on as sub.

Advertisement