Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can you teach a dog to fight back??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

Sorry upon reread I can see my post may appear antagonistic. I'm sure you love your baby to bits.

But in this case both dogs were off their leash and I can bet that if yours was on hers this would not have happened. You can't control other people and what they do with their dogs, but you can control your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

scudzilla wrote: »
    Our dog was off the lead but only 25ft away from us, this guys dog was not, he was farting about in his car, not bothering what his dog was up to.

Am i doing my job as a dog owner correctly, i think i am, even though i let my dog run free as much as possible
    sure you could have a dog off the lead thinkig there are no other dogs around but sure you never know so its not your fault if another dog comes out of the blue. if your dog is somewhat aggressive then be extra vigilant but yours is not so having your dog off the lead if your dog responds well to recall is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

scudzilla wrote: »
    Our dog was off the lead but only 25ft away from us, this guys dog was not, he was farting about in his car, not bothering what his dog was up to.

Am i doing my job as a dog owner correctly, i think i am, even though i let my dog run free as much as possible

You were doing the right thing. When my pup is off the lead, at least he's still under my control, if I tell him to come back, he will. Control. And he's never out of my sight.

The guy in the car, was neither watching his dog, nor did he have control.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    If you are doing your job right as a dog owner your dog should never ever have to be in a position to fight or defend itself from the attack of another dog.

Granted there are rare exceptions, it is your responsibilty to ensure your dog is safe from harm at any time.

I had a King Charles for 11 years and not a pug for 18 months and never once did I let harm come to them. In places where there are likely to be other dogs (and therefore threats) they stay on the leash where I can do the growling and barking at other dogs if needs be....

That's rubbish. Dogs need to be walked. Even if you never allow them off the lead they can sometimes be attacked by other dogs. There is absolutely no way a owner can completely prevent their dog from getting into a fight.

Perhaps with smaller dogs like a King Charles and a Pug, the fact that they need less and shorter walks means that you can avoid fights altogether. But the OP has a Boxer and they need to walk a few miles each day. How is the OP to completely avoid all other dogs that might attack his one.

Originally Posted by scudzilla.

I've owned dogs all my life and I think that you've given no indication that you've done anything wrong.

You certainly right to allow him/her to run around when you can, in that incident the other owner was behaving selfishly and stupidly.

Advertisement