Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How I Met Your Mother - Season 6 (US) [**Spoilers**]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

I'd agree. Just trying to add a bit of depth. Seven years as friends, you are going to have to deal with tragedies some time.

Jumped the shark when they stopped the active search for the mother - or when they stopped using the two kids as an introduction - whoever it is now, its not worth the wait.

It was so much better than a Friends copy in the first season (maybe the first two seasons) but now they seem to be aiming to be the Friends follow-up

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

S.M.B. wrote: »

And the twist, while handled well, is a massive departure for the show and I've no idea how they are going to handle it in future episodes. Like someone said earlier, it's a gamechanger, but it seemed a little forced to me. You shouldn't need a big gamechanger like this. It just reinforces my belief that they were running out of ideas and the whole show was stagnating.

So they recognised a problem and sought to fix it. Surely that's to be commended as opposed to letting a show pootle along aimlessly. From what I've seen the series was deliberately constructed so the first half led to this (it's been hit and miss so far this season but an improvement on last year, which is an achievement for a 6 year old show which looked like it was in a rut) and the second half will use this sad rite of passage to develop the characters further. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Oh what I'm suggesting is purely speculative. It was also just an excuse to use that Fonz/Water-skiing image.

I do have serious doubts on whether they'll succeed with this change in focus but like some have said, they were in a position where they had to do SOMETHING!!!

My preference would have been for them to have wrapped the entire series up by now. A nice 4/5 series run would have been perfect to tell the story. As fond I am of some of the characters there's been very little progression from day one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Though nobody died, I thought the season 1 finale was more emotional tbh. Seeing the look on Marshall's face in the pissing rain, just after the high of Ted getting together with Robin, was absolutely gut-wrenching. That hit me like a ton of bricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Daysha wrote: »
    Though nobody died, I thought the season 1 finale was more emotional tbh. Seeing the look on Marshall's face in the pissing rain, just after the high of Ted getting together with Robin, was absolutely gut-wrenching. That hit me like a ton of bricks.
    Ya that scene always gets me. Season 1 was amazing :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

ixoy wrote: »
    Damn, that was just mean. I was not expecting that at all. Very rare for a comedy to that effectively - can only recall "Scrubs" ever doing such an emotional punch before (with that episode involving Brendan Fraser).

There were so many emotional-punch moments in Scrubs, not just the Brendan Frasier one, but Carla saying goodbye to Laverne, the final episode, a few Dr. Cox episodes, a wide variety of others are so touching. Scrubs, despite all the silliness, had so much heart and respect for its 'mature' content all the way through that I just don't see in HIMYM. Or rather, didn't. This surprised me and I hope they handle it with tact; I like it when sitcoms can address the serious side of life in a respectful way. It gives it a lot more depth.

I still doubt they can pull off something better than something of Scrubs' standards, but this show has glimpses of that kind of potential that I'd love to see realized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

liah wrote: »
    There were so many emotional-punch moments in Scrubs, not just the Brendan Frasier one, but Carla saying goodbye to Laverne, the final episode, a few Dr. Cox episodes, a wide variety of others are so touching. Scrubs, despite all the silliness, had so much heart and respect for its 'mature' content all the way through that I just don't see in HIMYM. Or rather, didn't. This surprised me and I hope they handle it with tact; I like it when sitcoms can address the serious side of life in a respectful way. It gives it a lot more depth.

I still doubt they can pull off something better than something of Scrubs' standards, but this show has glimpses of that kind of potential that I'd love to see realized.

Aye, the timing and selection of music was unreal as well. Must make one of those "fuuuuu" comics of what happened to me last night, saw Scrubs was starting and thought "nice one" and then within 30 seconds realised it was the Brenden Frasier song, still got me at the end. I don't think I've come across any comedy that was as good at sad bits as Scrubs was. Well maybe the dog episode of Futurama. :pac:

amacachi wrote: »
    Aye, the timing and selection of music was unreal as well. Must make one of those "fuuuuu" comics of what happened to me last night, saw Scrubs was starting and thought "nice one" and then within 30 seconds realised it was the Brenden Frasier song, still got me at the end. I don't think I've come across any comedy that was as good at sad bits as Scrubs was. Well maybe the dog episode of Futurama. :pac:

I really love that show and it bothers me when people write it off after only watching some random episode out of context for being too stupid! It's such an intelligent, heartfelt, honest show and it deals with relationships so well, not to mention it's fantastically written. I wasn't crazy about seasons 5-7 but even then, they had a few episodes that were just beautiful. The epitome of good-natured humour, and a show I still watch nearly every day. :p

And the dog episode of Futurama was just sad.. I don't wanna talk about it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

I watched Scrubs from that start and after around the 3rd season, I think it just lost it completely. The characters just become horrible parodies of themselves and they used the whole day dream thing like a crutch to no end..By the latest season I just hated it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    I watched Scrubs from that start and after around the 3rd season, I think it just lost it completely. The characters just become horrible parodies of themselves and they used the whole day dream thing like a crutch to no end..By the latest season I just hated it.

You can definitely see where it started to weaken. Tara Reid's character was the beginning of the end, imo. Especially when her character went from being a self-absorbed but decent person who walked away from a boyfriend she realised was in love with someone else, to a crazy nutjob. JD's sudden decision that he no longer wanted Elliot after 18 months of being in love with her compounded it. If it's in re-runs I can watch it up to the point where Danni breaks up with JD after he left her on hold to comfort Elliot, and I'll really enjoy it, but it's downhill from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Its amazing I am pretty much just going through the motions of watching this show out till it finishes but that still had a huge effect. I guess its hard not to feel emotionally attached to any character when you watch their life unfold over such a long period and get to feel like you actually know them. Marshall is always drawn as a really genuine person who is one of the good guys and someone you would be proud to have as a mate which makes it all the more impacting when bad stuff happens to him.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

iguana wrote: »
    You can definitely see where it started to weaken. Tara Reid's character was the beginning of the end, imo. Especially when her character went from being a self-absorbed but decent person who walked away from a boyfriend she realised was in love with someone else, to a crazy nutjob. JD's sudden decision that he no longer wanted Elliot after 18 months of being in love with her compounded it. If it's in re-runs I can watch it up to the point where Danni breaks up with JD after he left her on hold to comfort Elliot, and I'll really enjoy it, but it's downhill from there.

I think exactly after this is when that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I really love that show and it bothers me when people write it off after only watching some random episode out of context for being too stupid! It's such an intelligent, heartfelt, honest show and it deals with relationships so well, not to mention it's fantastically written. I wasn't crazy about seasons 5-7 but even then, they had a few episodes that were just beautiful. The epitome of good-natured humour, and a show I still watch nearly every day. :p

And the dog episode of Futurama was just sad.. I don't wanna talk about it :(
    iguana wrote: »
    I think exactly after this is when that happened.

Is there no Scrubs thread?? Maybe someone should make one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

the how they used the death of a character to promote a phone show

I never knew before today how drug dealers get so much tail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Have to say I didn't really enjoy this episode at all... was not the right balance of funny and sad.

I get the point they were supposed to be trying too hard, but the episode just didn't work at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Not a great episode. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. It just left me with a huge "meh" feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Hopefully it will be back to normal next episode. This weeks was boring.

Leland Palmer is Robins dad?

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Leland Palmer is Robins dad?

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Yeah, no matter how many things I see Ray Wise in he'll always be freaky Mr. P.

I knew this would be a tough episode for them to get right and it didn't really work. There were good bits but mostly it just felt like a hangover episode.

• Advertisement

Ray Wise will always be the Devil from Reaper to me, so it was a brilliant cameo from my perspective. :p

And this is the route they want to take for the rest of the season.

I said it earlier but it'll be extremely difficult to balance the comedy and the serious drama that they've attempted to inject into the show in a way that will satisfy audiences.

It certainly didn't work for this episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Wilson91

I didn't mind this episode at all... Wasn't by any means one of the best but was grand. could have used a bit more funny at times but can't expect heaps of laughs with a funeral episode in fairness.

How many episodes are left in the season? That wasn't the last one, was it?

At least another ten episodes.

What a guess, wikipedia says 10 more episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

How many episodes are left in the season? That wasn't the last one, was it?
    Nah, that was only episode 13.

There'll be another 10 or so episodes (depending on whether it's a 22 or 24 episode season).

basquille wrote: »
    Nah, that was only episode 13.

There'll be another 10 or so episodes (depending on whether it's a 22 or 24 episode season).

It was episode 14 of a 24 episode season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Casting Spoiler:
    John Lithgow is going to play Barney’s dad and Nancy Travis will play his wife and thus Barney’s stepmom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    John Lithgow is going to play Barney’s dad and Nancy Travis will play his wife and thus Barney’s stepmom

Legen... wait for it... Dary! :D

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Any chance when you're putting up spoilers you could say what they're relating to?

Any chance when you're putting up spoilers you could say what they're relating to?
    It's the actors that will play Barney's father and step-mother.

It's the actors that will play Barney's father and step-mother.

I know that now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Spoiler tagged so people know what it's about.

I know that now...
    I just tried to be helpful :(

I just tried to be helpful :(

How I wish I had the power to make someone feel that sad.
    Well, other than doing something like Virginia Tech, maybe I should stop because this hole will just get deeper. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

Have to say I really enjoyed last nights episode 'Oh Honey'. Was really rooting for Zoe and Ted so happy to see them finally getting together!

I'd go as far as saying that was the quintessential HIMYM episode in terms of episode structure, story telling and humour. The way the narration passed between all the different characters and keeping Marshall in the loop in Minnesota just....worked! They didn't focus all their attention on Katy Perry's character thankfully but she still had a big role to play. Some of the jokes were hilarious, the story kept you guessing right to the end and you couldn't help but smile at the way it all panned out :)

Great episode, one of the best this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I was bored by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

good episode, to bad it tells ya that zoe is not the mother, i mean ted is hardly gonna forget his wifes cousins name,

damn katy perry is hot, zoe and robin aint to bad either;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Anyone else find it funny with the Lost reference?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I really enjoyed it as it was old school himym. Childish jokes, the same story but from barneys point of view.

Well zoey can't be the mother because was she with the captain when Ted saw her ankles!

Katy Perry had little or no impact on the show, glad it wasn't just a silly cameo for the sake of it.

Any reason for all the lost references lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Simi

I was really, really hoping he'd say "And that's how I met your mother..." at the end of the episode.

I guess it can't really be her (unless they find a way to seemlessly overwrite large portions of the last 2 seasons).

Guess we won't be finding out who it is any time soon either, if he's going to start dating Zoe.

Am I the only one who can't stand Zoe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Am I the only one who can't stand Zoe?
    i hated cameron at the start, but now i really like zoe, would have liked if she were the mother, but i said the same with elliot, very likable both of them,

don ramo wrote: »
    i hated cameron at the start, but now i really like zoe, would have liked if she were the mother, but i said the same with elliot, very likable both of them,

Haha, it's good to know I'm not the only one who still calls that actress Elliot no matter what I'm watching. :p

That weeks episode was probably the worst episode of the show I have ever seen! It was absolutely atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭trendy88

Agreed!! Simply Shocking! There was no development in terms of the story and I dont think I laughed once!! You get the feeling that the writers have run out of ammo. And to think this used to be one of my fave shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

I felt that this season has been very poor overall, I use to love this show but I really think that it has jumped the shark, there seems to be no overall story arch this season except the Ted-Zoe situation which was painfully foreseeable, Barney is just making the occasional funny comment, Robin is looking for love, Marshall with the exception of his fathers passing hasnt really featured and Lily is even more annoying and pushy this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

ManofStraw wrote: »
    I felt that this season has been very poor overall, I use to love this show but I really think that it has jumped the shark, there seems to be no overall story arch this season except the Ted-Zoe situation which was painfully foreseeable, Barney is just making the occasional funny comment, Robin is looking for love, Marshall with the exception of his fathers passing hasnt really featured and Lily is even more annoying and pushy this season.
    how exactly has it "jumped the shark"? i hate when that phrase is used by people to say they dont think the show is as good as it used to be.
    if you take shameless uk for example that show is running out of sharks to jump at this stage but i dont see how you can say HIMYM has.
    i actually think this season on the whole has been an improvement on last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

I think "jumped the shark" is an appropriate phrase where a show's characters become a joke of itself with absurd storylines or a show relies on special guests or the introduction of new characters to save the show. Jumped the shark refers the fact/ or in this case my opinion that, the show has reached its peak and is in decline. That is not to say that the show will not remain popular or still show flashes of that old magic they are just not as frequent. In HIMYM, in my opinion part of the shows appeal was that the characters felt like real people full of real flaws and more importantly the more you got to know the character the more flaws were revealed to you. But the show is relying on the same old flaws in people, for example Ted is still coming on too strong, Barney and Robin afraid of commitment ect, although i will concede that Barney's softer side is being explored more this season which is welcome as he is not as 2D a character.

Also part of what I use to enjoy about the show was the mini plots within the episodes of the show, like the goat randomly appearing in episodes and all the "in" jokes that the group and you by extension had, these are sorely lacking this season, last season was the turning point for me as Ted was quite simply a mess and following this I don't think that the same level of attachment was there. I don't see my friends in the characters anymore, I felt that Ted's budding relationship with Zoe was badly done as well, there was none of the charm of previous relationships as in Ted, for example his mini date with Stella, stealing the blue horn for Robin ect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement