Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How I Met Your Mother - Season 6 (US) [**Spoilers**]

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

wonton wrote: »
    I dont know how ratings work, but my guess is its the highest number that hit during the show itself, so if its a good episode wouldnt more people watch the whole thing and therefore bring up the ratings .

anyway I wasn't judging it I just coincidently checked the numbers considering how bad the last few episodes have been and it shows seeing as the numbers are so low.

Surely for a sitcom the highest bit would be near the start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Think I laughed twice last night. Or maybe the second was a cough.

Starting to feel they shouldn't have renewed it; have us find out who the mother is at the end of this season and just leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Thought there have been one or two decent episodes this year but that sounded like it was written by a transition year student. Remember in the earlier seasons where they used to try and leave clues in the flash forward fash backs. Forgot to add Ted's wife into the final scene in that episode - ten years from now where everyone was fooled by Barney on his death bed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Do people really turn off episodes half-way through in their millions? that just sounds like weird behaviour and a dodgy basis for measurign how good it was. That said, this really wasn't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Do people really turn off episodes half-way through in their millions? that just sounds like weird behaviour and a dodgy basis for measurign how good it was. That said, this really wasn't.
    Have you ever tried watching a show "live" in the States? Ads every couple of minutes, if the show isn't catching your attention folks are going to change very quickly to something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Clareman wrote: »
    Have you ever tried watching a show "live" in the States? Ads every couple of minutes, if the show isn't catching your attention folks are going to change very quickly to something else.

Exactly. There are so many ad breaks that I certainly would switch off if it was bad.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, I honestly couldn't even watch a show I really liked that way. There's no enjoyment in it whatsoever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I find it very difficult to watch RTÉ or ITV now, I can't see the point in spending an hour to watch something that's only 40 minutes long :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Wait, people still use TVs? :eek:

I genuinely can't remember the last time I watched an ad. It's been years.

Gave up on the show a season or two ago, it just seemed to be going nowhere and Ted as a character just annoys me. He exists at this stage to be a wet blanket voice of reason. Barney or Marshall will have an outrageous idea, one which could lead to a truly fun episode but then Ted will tell them no before Barney or Marahall reappear later to tell Ted of the awesomeness he missed during which time we've listened to Ted go on and on about finding love or another of his banal observations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

liah wrote: »
    Wait, people still use TVs? :eek:

I genuinely can't remember the last time I watched an ad. It's been years.

And this is why you shouldnt trust ratings be they good or bad. The Nielsen system is beyond broken thanks to people watching shows online, yet the people in charge still refuse to change it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Thought this week's was a vast improvement on anything we've had over the past two seasons... Hopefully they can keep up the standard for the remainder of this season...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I thought this was the single greatest thing in the episode. So unexpected yet sooo cool! :D

Much better than last week overall I thought, and lot's of stuff to take from and think about. I'm going to assume that Robin was smiling in the end because she liked the idea of telling people she was getting married, and given what Barney was saying at the end it looks like they're gonna lead us into thinking those two will get back together. But my money's on Barney hunting down Nora again and Robin getting with that other fella.

Great performance by John Lithgow as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

Daysha wrote: »
    I thought this was the single greatest thing in the episode. So unexpected yet sooo cool! :D

Agreed I love this pure genius, however I didn't enjoy the episode but I havn't enjoyed any of the shows with Barney's dad to be honest

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Daysha wrote: »

Much better than last week overall I thought, and lot's of stuff to take from and think about. I'm going to assume that Robin was smiling in the end because she liked the idea of telling people she was getting married, and given what Barney was saying at the end it looks like they're gonna lead us into thinking those two will get back together. But my money's on Barney hunting down Nora again and Robin getting with that other fella.

Great performance by John Lithgow as well.

When I was watching it I was thinking Barney better be talking about Robin and not that Nora girl!! Given his dad's hypothetical advice at the start about Robin being single it seems maybe a bit too obvious but if Barney is going to give up his party life it makes more sense it'd be for someone like Robin who he's known for ages and they only broke up over the stupidest thing ever, rather than for Nora who he's known for about 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

id say the low ratings reflect the last episode rather than the current one,

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I remember reading an interview with the show runners of a different show and they were saying how difficult it is to write for a show because of all the breaks. In an hour long show they have to write about 7 little mini cliffhanger moments per episode, one for each ad break to ensure that people don't lose interest and change the channel during the breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, at least we know what wedding the boys were at now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Meh, that episode must have been guest-written by Captain Obvious.

Horrible CGI at the end too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

That's being kind to Captain Obvious.

Spoilers for the season-finale:
    I didn't think it was possible, but they actually managed to take the most loved character on the show, give him this absolutely huge show-changing event like get married, and still make it the most unsurprising season-finale 'shocker' yet.

During the entire season there was basically a 50:50 chance of the wedding being either Barney's or Robin's, and given Barney's problems with commitment this year it made him the obvious choice. Everyone knew it was coming, so why waste a season cliffhanger on it? It should have come out of the blue like around the episodes when he meets his Dad, then throw an entirely different spanner in the works for this episode.

And then to top it off, Lily gets pregnant with the most painfully obvious build-up in the show's history. Again why run with it if it's not going to cause a shock? The season's best moments have been big moments that hit you like a ton of bricks (Marshall's Dad dying a perfect case in point). But the moment she started pucking most of us knew what was coming.

We're now heading into the 7th season and the only question we're left wondering is whether Barney marries Robin or Nora, and tbh I'm at that stage now where I really just don't care as much as I used to. There is only one story-arc I'm really interested in and like 99% of everyone else, it's the Mother story, but because of the infuriating Zoe angle there hasn't been a single progression there since the first episode of the season!

Basically the episode and season in general should have been a lot better than it was. It started so promising with the wedding segment and I honestly felt we were going places (like the writers said they were starting the 3rd and final act this year). But instead they focused a lot of their time on Ted's relationship with a person who already knew wasn't going to be the Mother, thereby eliminating most of my interest already.

The only character who has really progressed this year is Barney, and he was the star of the season again. But there's a reason the show lost over 2 million viewers during the year and that's because they've neglected the most important part of the show...it's title!

Rant over :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

All in all a pretty piss poor episode. Boring as hell and the toilet humour was really banal and cringe-worthy.

Oh yeah, and worst. cgi. ever.
    Made the Cape look like Avatar. haha.

As for the wedding, I think the look at the end really gives it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Really dissapointed with the finale. Knew as soon as
    Lily was sick she was pregnant
    and that
    Barney would be the groom
    . The finale had the potential to be amazing but instead it was just meh. The best episode this season was the one about Marshell's dad dying, but only because I had to pause and rewind it every few seconds to see if I could see all the numbers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I have gone from loving this show to I think at this stage actually loathing it. I find myself sneering at how terrible some of the scenes and jokes come across. Mentally I am picking holes in everything with a feeling of disgust for how bad the show has become.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

I'm hinking Barney maries
    Robin, based on the look she gave him and the scene in the car etc
    and i reckon ted married
    Nora, just a hunch she was wearimg a yellow sweater etc and at the start of the season or the one before they mention a yellow umbrella

as for lily, could have sword early on in the episode she had a bump even before she was throwing up but it was kinda obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Faolchu wrote: »
    as for lily, could have sword early on in the episode she had a bump even before she was throwing up but it was kinda obvious

Last season they didn't do the best job in hiding the actress' actual pregnancy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement