Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westgate gym closing?

Options
  • 20-09-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I know it has been said it is closing for ages but a few weeks ago in the Drogheda leader there was a landlords notice saying that they were evicting thier tenants "Westgate Gym" but they were keeping the gym open and there was an email address. Think it was integral fitness, has anyone any news on this? Looking to join a gym and the minute, was in the westgate before and for some reason I just didnt like it. Would be interested to see what the new place will be like

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭paddycam

there moving down the road a bit for some reason:confused:.Its going to be around greenhills mill.THe gym will be bigger but there wont be a pool

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭brian_bugle

Yep - got a text message on Saturday morning to say that they've moved to the Greenhills Industrial Village, opening today (Monday 27th) and that membership will renew automatically. they've also changed their name to Matrix Fitness. Check out www.integralfitnessandleisure.com - the site is under maintenance but I also saw that newspaper ad so will be keen to see who takes over the old building. Only reason I used old Westgate was for the pool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

id say there will be a few people annoyed with the fact the new place has no gym

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Surely we signed contracts for the use of a pool, can we just cancel. I did in the ligaments in my knee a few months ago, the only thing i can really use in the gym is the bike. waste of €40 a month

You're only paying 40 a month?? I was paying 55! I just cancelled the Direct Debit on Monday. As you say, they've changed the terms of my contract so they can't come chasing me for anything.
    Went up to Aura for a pay-as-you-go swim yesterday morning - 7 euro a pop! Bit expensive for a single but their membership is ok, 49 a month on Direct Debit or 495 for the year (with a sale to come in November that might have 100 off that I'm told). But I'll hold off and see what happens to the old Westgate place first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 irishwarrior

This is crazy how can a man who has single handedly closed down or bankrupt a couple gyms over last 20 years(dublin City,Swords, now drogheda) be able to open again?????never mind owing over 1,000,000 in debts including over 200K to the revenue and double that in rent that was due.It really baffles me,I know it operating under different name for tax purposes ,but please join the dots!!! As for the westgate in boyne business pk ,i feel really sorry for the land lords, as a parting gift yer man wrecked the place,entered premises at 12am fri gone and took everything including all pool equipment i.e Filters ,Pumps,etc even though it no use to him..
    You would swear the landlords were the bad guys ,all they did was look for rent and never received any :(
    Very sad to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

If its true that he trashed the gym/pool that's terrible.

When they were opening in boyne business park they were selling life time memberships I was told at the time that the same owner started a gym in swords, sold people life time memberships and then they were stung when the gym closed, so it looks like it has happened again.

I thought that if you were declared bankrupt you couldn't open a business for 5 years, so I wonder if he has be declared bankrupt?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 irishwarrior

Its true alright,find it so hard to believe that a man can be sooo brazen doing this sort of thing and just walk around as if he doing nothing wrong...
    Yeah i think it ten years but when he Went bankrupt in Dec 09 he opened up with his girlfriend and sales guy as directors for new business..
    Surely considering that we see in papers every day people getting stung by revenue for sums as small as 200 euro they have to realise that this guy is receiving all profits from this new company?????????????even though he owed them over 200k:mad:

No wonder the country is the way it is!!!!!!!!!
    I'll say again cant understand how someone can get away with this

That website is now up and running for anyone interested - www.integralfitnessandleisure.com

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭TorresLegend

Lock the Westgate/Matrix gangster up! DO NOT GIVE HIM YOUR MONEY!!

Check out the deluded Matrix facebook site! Don't let the pics fool you, the place is a dungeon, they'll be fecked come the winter!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Drogheda-Ireland/Matrix-Fitness-Drogheda/152538291447185

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I emailed em and cancelled by DD yesterday, might join that other place in the last building

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭celtenal

I'm stuck with him in the Matrix (what a dump COMMUNAL SHOWERS THEN YOU WALK OUT ONTO CARPET:mad:)untill membership runs out,as I will,at the end of May.Paid him a year upfront ahhh!! If you're thinking about joining DONT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

It's certainly not quite as big as the last place I feel but on the whole I don't really see any difference. You get in there, do what you have to do. Lift weights, cardio, bit of both (delete as appropriate.) and get out.

Theres something new being done there almost every day as far as I can see in relation to the overall renovation. I'm sure if you brought any specific points to the owners attention they would address them if valid. Personally I dont use the showers as I only live around the corner.

Looking forward to soap and dryers in the mens toilets though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Lantus wrote: »
    It's certainly not quite as big as the last place I feel but on the whole I don't really see any difference. You get in there, do what you have to do. Lift weights, cardio, bit of both (delete as appropriate.) and get out.

Theres something new being done there almost every day as far as I can see in relation to the overall renovation. I'm sure if you brought any specific points to the owners attention they would address them if valid. Personally I dont use the showers as I only live around the corner.

No offence but that's rubbish. People paid for gym, pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, studios etc. What they are getting is not what they paid for.
    It's only a matter of time that it'll have to move again as they won't pay rent there either!

Lantus wrote: »

Me I'm just looking forward to the day the toilets work properly.BTW have you tried doing cardio or lifting when there's a spinning session on and you get blown out of it by the music.Come to think of it same rules apply when there's a karate session on noise wise as "studios" dont have roofs and the spinning is in ladies gym section which is also totally exposed.Now I know the old Westgate had spinning and karate but the studios there were enclosed and they did not intrude on the main gym.
    Tell you what come in Saturday morning when both karate and spinning are both trying to outdo each other in the noise department simultaneously.With a bit of luck we might get one of the builders on a kango hammer just for good measure.

celtenal wrote: »
    Me I'm just looking forward to the day the toilets work properly.BTW have you tried doing cardio or lifting when there's a spinning session on and you get blown out of it by the music.Come to think of it same rules apply when there's a karate session on noise wise as "studios" dont have roofs and the spinning is in ladies gym section which is also totally exposed.Now I know the old Westgate had spinning and karate but the studios there were enclosed and they did not intrude on the main gym.
    Tell you what come in Saturday morning when both karate and spinning are both trying to outdo each other in the noise department simultaneously.With a bit of luck we might get one of the builders on a kango hammer just for good measure.

Thanks for the tip, wont be making a habit of going in on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Anyone who has any social conscience should avoid this place like the plague. The owner didnt pay rent, the landlords told them to leave and the owner and his goons broke the place up. The new place is a kip

members of westgate - demand your money back as you are not getting what you paid for. (you have no chance as the owner still owes a lot of his former staff money as well as his family)

Anyone who has any social conscience should avoid this place like the plague. The owner didnt pay rent, the landlords told them to leave and the owner and his goons broke the place up. The new place is a kip

members of westgate - demand your money back as you are not getting what you paid for. (you have no chance as the owner still owes a lot of his former staff money as well as his family)

Nah! Just get in there and use the facilites! Those weights ain't gonna lift themselves you know. I'm not going to harm myself just because your screaming for us all to jump off the cliff.

If you dont like it then dont go. I'll be the one in the corner working out.....

I heard that he asked a well known glass supplier in town about if it would be possible to come to some sort of "finance agreement" when he was looking for new mirrors fitted.He was told sure no problem "You pay me and I'll agree to fit the mirrors2.LOL
    It seems word is out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KA123

Come on guys, it is just a gym, you go in, do your stuff and go home. Swam in the other place but cause most members went along with Matrix I am staying as well, Cant see that many going!

Atmosphere is quite good and there is sth new every day!

Will probably see big problem soon as they are overcrowded in the evenings now so have to start coming late afternoon.
    Anyone knows how is it at around 4-ish?

• Advertisement

KA123 wrote: »
    Come on guys, it is just a gym, you go in, do your stuff and go home. Swam in the other place but cause most members went along with Matrix I am staying as well, Cant see that many going!

Atmosphere is quite good and there is sth new every day!

Will probably see big problem soon as they are overcrowded in the evenings now so have to start coming late afternoon.
    Anyone knows how is it at around 4-ish?
    Well a lot of people are waiting untill the old place opens again as Tegral Finess I think.Also a lot of members are just waiting untill current membership runs out like I am.I dont reckon it will be very busy then somehow.:rolleyes: Mind you 4-ish is quite a good time at the moment.

Advertisement