Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring Advice

Options
  • 20-09-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

hi All,
    I need to replace a bathroom ceiling extractor fan (centrifugal) in an apt. Unfortunately, the existing cabling is too short to wire the new fan I've bought.
    Just wondering what the best approach to this would be. I was thinking of putting in some form of junction box in the ceiling space beside the fan, and then connecting that to the fan.
    I've only wired plugs, sockets and light fittings before so not sure if it would be better to get an electrician in.
    Am I underestimating what needs to be done e.g. should completly new cabling be run? As it's in the ceiling I reckon running new cabling would be very expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Its only for a ceiling fan, so the load on the circuit wouldn't be that great. If you get a junction box rated for 10A it should be ok. Do you know where the power for the fan is being fed from?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

Its only for a ceiling fan, so the load on the circuit wouldn't be that great. If you get a junction box rated for 10A it should be ok. Do you know where the power for the fan is being fed from?
    thanks Fingers McGee, I might give the junction box a go and see how I get on.
    I cant see the origin of the cables. Looks like I'd have to punch a big hole in the ceiling to even get an idea. So, I'm not too eager to go down that route.

Reg_hurley wrote: »
    thanks Fingers McGee, I might give the junction box a go and see how I get on.
    I cant see the origin of the cables. Looks like I'd have to punch a big hole in the ceiling to even get an idea. So, I'm not too eager to go down that route.

Would they be looped to the light fitting by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

Yep, it's connected to the light somehow.
    Turning on the light also turns on the fan. Will this make a difference?

No, but if it was linked from the light fitting, perhaps you could replace that short bit of cable rather than using a jb. Thats if things actually transpire in the right way of course

• Advertisement
Advertisement