Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland going downhill....rapid

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Blandpebbles has been warned about trouble making posts.

Can we return to the topic now please.

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think it does have the potential to go downhill in terms of generally how its kept and if people stop paying their management fees - the road leading upto Charlesland from the swimming pool is kept very poor - It's often littered quite badly but then gets cleaned by tidy towns volunteers living in Seabourne view, also look carefully at the walls where the bus stop is - the cream exterior is eroding at the bottom
    If people stop paying management fees and tidy town volunteers stopped cleaning the road then that whole road will start to give a really bad impression and I can see the start of it - the bin was taken away from the bus step as well

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I can't believe the complete overreaction on here at Blandpebbles because he stated his opinion. The lynch mob is certainly out in force.

He's not the only one i've heard who has concerns about what Charlesland will be like 10 years from now.

It's nothing to do with snobbery. A lot of new estates go down hill as the age profile changes and what once were innocent little 6 year olds playing football on the green become angry teenagers, bored out of their minds cause "they've nothing to do." It only takes a small minority to ruin an area. High density housing such as Charlesland is a relatively new phenomenen and no body knows how this will impact socially.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of people living there are decent, honest, hardworking people trying to carve out a good life for themsleves but Charlesland is no more immune to the dangers then any other estate in this country.

Put your lamps and sticks down peolple. Ignorance is the quickest route to ruin in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

There's a difference between stating an opinion and trolling, Swanner. You may well be right, but when someone brags about wasting the time of someone trying to sell their home, then it becomes a wind up.

What happened here is a few people have broken the cardinal rule of the interwebs: don't feed the trolls...

At the risk of backseat modding, thread's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Swanner wrote: »
    . A lot of new estates go down hill as the age profile changes and what once were innocent little 6 year olds playing football on the green become angry teenagers, bored out of their minds cause "they've nothing to do." It only takes a small minority to ruin an area. High density housing such as Charlesland is a relatively new phenomenen and no body knows how this will impact socially.

Not a lot of large estates anywhere in Ireland that have the wealth of amenities surrounding them as Charlesland does, can't see why the teenagers would be bored out of their minds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

He's not the only one i've heard who has concerns about what Charlesland will be like 10 years from now.

And i bet all these people don't live in Charlesland. Why are they concerned? have they got nothing else to worry about? I would say that this place will look better in 10 years, more mature and less new looking.
    It's nothing to do with snobbery. A lot of new estates go down hill as the age profile changes and what once were innocent little 6 year olds playing football on the green become angry teenagers, bored out of their minds cause "they've nothing to do."

LOL, theres no way I would let that happen to my children, i will make sure they will always have something to do. That's called good parenting, are you implying that people who live in Charlesland are more likely to be bad parents? LOL
    It only takes a small minority to ruin an area. High density housing such as Charlesland is a relatively new phenomenen and no body knows how this will impact socially.

Have you lived in Greystones/Ireland all your life? Charlesland is by no way a high density housing estate!! Its relatively small, lovely and green and open compared to other estates I have lived on. Your right though, it can take a small minority to ruin a country, look to the Burnbaby estate for some of the blame there.
    I have no doubt that the vast majority of people living there are decent, honest, hardworking people trying to carve out a good life for themsleves but Charlesland is no more immune to the dangers then any other estate in this country.

You are right, the same as any other estate in Greystones, Redwood, Blacklion, Delgany Woods, Eden Gates etc etc. Why are they any different, are they given parenting skill classes when they buy a home?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Like a number of the other posts, the 2 negative (obviously bitter for some reason) posts on here portray a completely inaccurate picture of Charlesland. Yes, there are some quieter more mature estates in Greystones and in Dublin, but that is because they are mature! They were built 20 or 30 years ago. Charlesland has a lot of very young children. But there is not a town in the country with the facilities Charlesland has within walking distance for kids and teenagers - Beach, Swimming pool, GAA club, Rugby club, Soccer Club, Skate Park, Athletics track, Greystones Theatre, multiple music, drama and dance groups. I am actively involved in a number of these and can say with all honesty, teenagers in the area are by in large very well behaved and respectful. Of course there are a few with streaks, but I think we all had streaks......Its a complete over reaction and I suppose it is obvious that the two negative posters have very little interaction with young people in the community and probably have very little to contribute to the community. Happy and civil communities are built by people who volunteer to help out in the clubs, coach the kids, run the camps, etc. Unfortunately, there are people in society like those mentioned, who choose to live in bubbles, who believe it is their right to have a quiet peaceful community without actually contributing to it, the types who believe children should be seen and not heard. Greystones / Charlesland is a wonderful place to live and is great for kids thanks to those who do care, those who work all day and then come home and coach a soccer team or something (anything to contribute). Those negative posters have nothing but bitterness, ignorance and nonsense about the place being a ghetto to contribute....they are people the community can do without. So if you don't like it....leave....live in a bubble with high walls built around it...99.99% of people will stay and many more who want their kids to grow up in a place like Charlesland will come.

GingerDave wrote: »
    And i bet all these people don't live in Charlesland. Why are they concerned? have they got nothing else to worry about? I would say that this place will look better in 10 years, more mature and less new looking.

People worry about their area regardless of which part of it they live in. It's a bit of a pointless argument really.

LOL, theres no way I would let that happen to my children, i will make sure they will always have something to do. That's called good parenting, are you implying that people who live in Charlesland are more likely to be bad parents? LOL

Well good luck with that. We all do our best as parents but none of us are perfect and no matter how good you think you are, you can't track them 247. I in no way suggested that people in Charlesland are bad parents but I see your "LOL" and will leave it there.
    Have you lived in Greystones/Ireland all your life? Charlesland is by no way a high density housing estate!! Its relatively small, lovely and green and open compared to other estates I have lived on. Your right though, it can take a small minority to ruin a country, look to the Burnbaby estate for some of the blame there.

Yes I have lived in Greystones all my life but I don't see what difference that makes to the discussion. If i moved here 6 months ago I could still hold the same opinion and it would be just as valid. And I disagree that It's not high density. It was built in the boom when the MO was to squeeze as many houses/appts into as small an area as possable to maximise the developers profits. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, other then the fact that it was pure greed on the side of the developers, but that argument has been done to death here before so no point covering old ground.

You are right, the same as any other estate in Greystones, Redwood, Blacklion, Delgany Woods, Eden Gates etc etc. Why are they any different, are they given parenting skill classes when they buy a home?

You have completley missed my point. Charlesland is no different to any other estate in the area other then it's size which makes it just as succeptable to the issues that all young estates can have as the young kids grow up.

I was only adding to the discussion. I'm not willing, nor do I have the time to get into a debate on it. I live in the area too. I'm on your side. I just think there's an over defensiveness on here about Charlesland at times. All areas have their problems from time to time. Rose tinted spectacles won't make them magically disappear if and when they arise.

Langerland wrote: »
    Like a number of the other posts, the 2 negative (obviously bitter for some reason) posts on here portray a completely inaccurate picture of Charlesland. Yes, there are some quieter more mature estates in Greystones and in Dublin, but that is because they are mature! They were built 20 or 30 years ago. Charlesland has a lot of very young children. But there is not a town in the country with the facilities Charlesland has within walking distance for kids and teenagers - Beach, Swimming pool, GAA club, Rugby club, Soccer Club, Skate Park, Athletics track, Greystones Theatre, multiple music, drama and dance groups. I am actively involved in a number of these and can say with all honesty, teenagers in the area are by in large very well behaved and respectful. Of course there are a few with streaks, but I think we all had streaks......Its a complete over reaction and I suppose it is obvious that the two negative posters have very little interaction with young people in the community and probably have very little to contribute to the community. Happy and civil communities are built by people who volunteer to help out in the clubs, coach the kids, run the camps, etc. Unfortunately, there are people in society like those mentioned, who choose to live in bubbles, who believe it is there right to have a quiet peaceful community without actually contributing to it, the types who believe children should be seen and not heard. Greystones / Charlesland is a wonderful place to live and is great for kids thanks to those who do care, those who work all day and then come home and coach a soccer team or something (anything to contribute). Those negative posters have nothing but bitterness, ignorance and nonsense about the place being a ghetto to contribute....they are people the community can do without. So if you don't like it....leave....live in a bubble with high walls built around it...99.99% of people will stay and many more who want their kids to grow up in a place like Charlesland will come.

Now that's just a rant absolutely chocked full of assumptions about people you know nothing about. I never used the "ghetto" word as I would find it insulting, provocative and untrue. A lot of what you say is valid but you would be taken more seriously if you made your point in a more reasoned fashion. Thank for demonstrating my point on the over defensiveness and on that note i'll choose to bow out of this discussion.

Yes I have lived in Greystones all my life but I don't see what difference that makes to the discussion. If i moved here 6 months ago I could still hold the same opinion and it would be just as valid.

Enough said, you have no experience of living any where other than Greystones. You can hold any opinion you would like but to be half valid it should be backed up with facts, not fiction. It's a brilliant estate, next to great facilities based on my experience of living in many a place in europe.
    And I disagree that It's not high density.

Its not. relatively its not. Again this opinion is due to the fact you have only lived in a small country and village all you life.
    You have completley missed my point. Charlesland is no different to any other estate in the area other then it's size which makes it just as succeptable to the issues that all young estates can have as the young kids grow up.

Correct, but there is no need to be concerned, we are good people here.
    I was only adding to the discussion. I'm not willing, nor do I have the time to get into a debate on it. I live in the area too. I'm on your side. I just think there's an over defensiveness on here about Charlesland at times.

You are right I am defensive of the beautiful place I live and call home. I wouldn't be normal if I wasn't would I?
    All areas have their problems from time to time. Rose tinted spectacles won't make them magically disappear if and when they arise.

Correct all areas have there problems. Getting offered crack cocaine as you walk down the road to buy a loaf of bread, getting held up at knife point, having a lady of the night on the corner of your street, gangland fights etc etc. But you won't have experienced any of that.

Charlesland is a great place and has no more issues than any other estate in Greystones. Come around for a cup of tea and i'll introduce you to my fantastic neighbourhood.

This is only my opinion..........but its based on fact!

• Advertisement

Enough said, you have no experience of living any where other than Greystones.

Well I did live abroad for a year but having spent 36 of my 37 years in the town I consider myself to have lived here all my life. Also, a very quick google search would indicate that Wicklow Co Co, estate agents and the Irish Times all disagree with you. All consider it a high density development. There's nothing wrong with that. It's just a fact. Where I live couldn't be more high density. We are quite literally on top of eachother. But you seem to have an issue with it. I'll PM the links if you want but I really don't want to continue with this thread.

Anyway, your first 2 points are now null and void on 2 counts and you agree with me on everything else so it's all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Now that's just a rant absolutely chocked full of assumptions about people you know nothing about. I never used the "ghetto" word as I would find it insulting, provocative and untrue. A lot of what you say is valid but you would be taken more seriously if you made your point in a more reasoned fashion. Thank for demonstrating my point on the over defensiveness and on that note i'll choose to bow out of this discussion.

Sorry - Was talking about the OP and Blandpebbles....don't be so defensive :)

;)

Also, a very quick google search would indicate that Wicklow Co Co, estate agents and the Irish Times all disagree with you. All consider it a high density development.

No issue with high density, in fact I like having people around me.
    It's high density for Ireland, not for many other places I have lived. I could send you a link but won't waste your time.
    There's nothing wrong with that. It's just a fact. Where I live couldn't be more high density. We are quite literally on top of each other. But you seem to have an issue with it.

I have no issues, as stated above.
    So you are living in another high density area of Greystones? You must have the same issues as Charlesland? Which estate is it?

I am concerned as I live in the area and wonder what your area is going to be like in 10 year from now. Is it going down hill rapidly? Maybe we can learn from you.
    Anyway, your first 2 points are now null and void on 2 counts and you agree with me on everything else so it's all good :)

Perfect, so we agree that Charlesland is a high density estate (for ireland) and may have its issues now and in the future like any other estate in Greystones. In fact, like the area you live in? :)

However, relative to the real world we live in a very safe, beautiful part of the world.

Over and out.

Perfect, so we agree that Charlesland is a high density estate (for ireland) and may have its issues now and in the future like any other estate in Greystones. In fact, like the area you live in? :)

That's all i've been saying all along :)
    However, relative to the real world we live in a very safe, beautiful part of the world.

Agreed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

To set the record straight -

Lived in Ireland for 23 years on and off, born in Greystones, lived in 15 different countries in 17 years.

Been shot at and car jacked in Jo'burg, involved in fights with drunken French Foreign Legionaires in North Africa, got on the wrong side of Triads in Hong Kong and witnessed first hand the drug trade in D4 Dublin :)

It seems that everyone in Charlesland is fine with the estate, apart from the man whose bike wheels were nicked, the people whose houses are blocked by cars parked on the greens, the incessant house alarms going off day and night, the well known gangster family wandering thru, the fellas playing Jungle Music at 4am every weekend, the people masquarading as charity workers and nicking stuff, the kids kicking trees , the old people afraid to walk to SuperQuinn at night, the speeders on the spine road and so on - all documented on threads here.

So I stand corrected, even though I lived there for 3 years and witnessed some of these events, I guess my view is biased based on my experiences.

On my next drive thru I will take time to wave to the Sesame Street style neighborhood I so sadly missed when living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Oh My God - I totally must be living in a different estate or parralell universe but I couldnt disagree more. I have lived in several different counties in Ireland and been in various types of estates from new to old and established to the country side and right band in the city centre. Where I personally live in Charlesland grove is so wonderful. Young familys some with children some just starting out and it is such a lovely place to live. You come in the evening from work and have chats with your neighbours, see the children playing on the green while parents stroll around chatting or playing too!!! I think all the people that live there love it. We all nearly know each other and look out for each others children, there is never and peoblems apart from the odd football that maybe goes astray it couldnt be a quiter more relaxed and peaceful area, so I am gobsmacked at the comments certain people have made on this forum, maybe they live in a different part of this large estate that may have problems but I know thru various friends that live in all parts of the grove and park that they love it too and they couldnt disagree more with the bad comments by certain people here.I have friends in Eden Gate and Delgany wood that are thinking of moving from those estates as they love the feel of where we live and the atmosphere. The people that live here are solicitors, teachers, accountants, company directors, artists, travel agents, nurses, hotel managers, stay at home mums, shop owners and so on, all hard working and all trying to bring up their children as best they can. I feel sorry for those people who have written here if they have had a bad experience here (and the thought of any child growing up to be a teenager- good god shoot them all now!!) but I like so many others couldnt be happier and value my fantastic neighbours, neighbourhood and area. ;):D Charlesland - a good place to bring up children:D

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Dear god what planet is this person from?????

I couldnt disagree more in fact I had a group of mums with their children in my house today all from different parts of Greystones from Eden Gate to Redford Park to the Burnaby to Delgany wood and they all agreed that Charlesland looked like the best place to bring up children. The neighbours all look out for each others children even the older children look out for the younger children - if a young child even crosses the road without looking I can guarentee one of the older children will be at that childs parents door telling them. As far as I am concerned Charlesland grove and park seem to be so relaxed easy going peaceful and child and adult friendly. Neighbours chat in the evenings when they get home from work. Children look out for each other, neighbours help each other and in fact you can see if you drove around those estates in the evening how lovely a place it is. The people who live there are Lawyers, Nurses, Artisits, company directors, Teachers, shop owners, stay at home mums, IT professionals and so on. They take pride in their houses, they do their best to bring up their children with manners and respect for others, they enjoy living in the area, they work hard and try to get on like everyone else in this world. Whatever part of Charlesland that person is from or lived is a world apart from where I live and I wouldnt change it for the world. Love it love it love it!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tennisplayer

As a neutral observer I feel this thread should be closed because all this tit for tat discussion reflects very badly on the area. This forum is too public for this type of exchange. What is discussed "today" will be regretted "tomorrow".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

All I am saying is plenty of threads about the issues in Charlesland... Great if you have the perfect neighbourhood.

Close the thread it's a exercise in futility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

As a neutral observer I feel this thread should be closed because all this tit for tat discussion reflects very badly on the area. This forum is too public for this type of exchange. What is discussed "today" will be regretted "tomorrow".
    On the contrary. As far as Charlesland threads go, this has been pretty civil, people are listening to one another's opinions, and the neighbourhood is painted in a relatively good light.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,935 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Rasmus wrote: »
    On the contrary. As far as Charlesland threads go, this has been pretty civil, people are listening to one another's opinions, and the neighbourhood is painted in a relatively good light.

yes, it could have been worse, but I think its pretty much done now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement