Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat testing

Options
  • 20-09-2010 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi

I did a pat test on an appliance fed from a bus bar trunking and when i plugged the tester into the socket fed from the bus bar it came up with the message reversed polarity. I then tried a couple of different sockets fed from the same bus bar and the result was the same. Any appliance that gets plugged in works so i was wondering what would be the cause of this. Could it be the phase and neutral connected wrongly feeding the bus bar trunking.

On a separate note, are there any testing courses one can do for testing commercial premises.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

is there a plug and lead off the busbar down to a socket?

must be either the plugs/sockets or the busbar

needs to get sorted if it is reverse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Can you check the phase on the cables in the socket with a phase tester or voltage detector, Should show up if the live is running down the Neutral cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭loadz

The sockets are fed from different plug in boards through rcd's but they are all reverse polarity. It would seem that the mains to the bus bar trunking is connected up wrongly. Would this not cause a problem with other circuits fed from the same board that's feeding the bus bar. I never came across it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

should've figured with the busbar--rcd protected tap offs

serious anyhow-either the tap-offs are all wrong or the busbar is reverse(is it SP busbar?,couldn't imagine this going un-noticed on 3-phase)

Advertisement