Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Pints in Galway - Arthurs Day

Options
  • 20-09-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

Anybody hear of any special offers for Pints in Galway on Arthurs Day? I am not interested in any of the gigs. I just want a pub with cheap Guinness :D
    I know I got them cheap last year but will be in Galway City this year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The only place I heard of doing cheap pints last year was Kellys, I don't expect it to happen again but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 WP26

Paddys on Prospect Hill do the best pint and they have special offers for Arthurs Day's :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Sally Longs 2.50 a pint (Guinness only, though that should be obvious) all day, Roisin Dubh also but I think there's a catch like you have to get there before 6pm and get a ticket or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Some €2.50 offers in the Galway Independent last week but can't remember where for - dig it out if you still have it around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Regulars in a lot of places got a free pint or two last year. Did ye know that a lot of pubs were *given* barrels of *free* Guinness to do with as they will. A lot sold it for a euro or two, some gave more discounts, a few free, some less.

I heard a rumour that Woodquay and Prospect Hill are the places for the deals on pints, but regulars from those places told me that!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

inisboffin wrote: »
    Regulars in a lot of places got a free pint or two last year. Did ye know that a lot of pubs were *given* barrels of *free* Guinness to do with as they will. A lot sold it for a euro or two, some gave more discounts, a few free, some less.

I heard a rumour that Woodquay and Prospect Hill are the places for the deals on pints, but regulars from those places told me that!:D

Not true. Diageo 'asked' publicans to lower the price of Guinness for the day around Galway and gave them nothing in return last year. Considering how much stock pubs get from Diageo it's hard to turn them down if they ask for a 'favour'...

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Foxs Porterhouse have a great pint, going to be €2.50 all day/night and No Banjo(Cartoon thieves) are playing from 6pm. They also have deals on Warsteiner/Sol/Hein Bottles as far as I know!

Not true. Diageo 'asked' publicans to lower the price of Guinness for the day around Galway and gave them nothing in return last year. Considering how much stock pubs get from Diageo it's hard to turn them down if they ask for a 'favour'...

Not what I was told from one publican and one senior bar staff from Two different city centre Galway pubs. One even mentioned quantities. One of us has misinformation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

Not what I was told from one publican and one senior bar staff from Two different city centre Galway pubs. One even mentioned quantities. One of us has misinformation.

My cousin has worked for Guinness plc and Grand Metropolitan plc; which merged in 1997 and became Diageo; for 22 years in Dublin.
    Guinness plc (now Diageo) have always supplied free barrels of Guinness to pubs for Arthur's day.
    It has always been at the discretion of the Publican whether to give the free Guinness away, or to sell it at a reduced rate.
    This is a fact; not just in Dublin, but all over Ireland. Galway is no exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

Dr McManus wrote: »
    My cousin has worked for Guinness plc and Grand Metropolitan plc; which merged in 1997 and became Diageo; for 22 years in Dublin.
    Guinness plc (now Diageo) have always supplied free barrels of Guinness to pubs for Arthur's day.
    It has always been at the discretion of the Publican whether to give the free Guinness away, or to sell it at a reduced rate.
    This is a fact; not just in Dublin, but all over Ireland. Galway is no exception.

Indeed, the tradition of handing free Guinness to the publicans on Arthur's day is one that has been handed down from generation to generation, for as long as anyone can remember. This has ALWAYS been the case, for as long as the noble marketing tradition of Arthur's day has existed.

To Arthur!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

yeehaw wrote: »
    This has ALWAYS been the case, for as long as the noble marketing tradition of Arthur's day has existed.

2 years so. 1 or 2 old barrels supplied free per pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

Always been the case.... since last year so!

Tis just what I was told-and until xmas last year I worked with the Diageo rep and every publican in Galway on a weekly basis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It's a scam to get the students drinking porter instead of Bucky and Dutch Gold piss.

A good scam though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Pfff Arthurs Day is on a weekday. Nuts to that, don't even have the next day off to recover. Diageo can stick their marketing ploy up their holes!

The following night is Culture Night. You could try asking for the morning off instead...to celebrate a cultural tradition of being f*cked after a night out. Maybe not? Worth a shot:p

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Bierhaus are having an anti-arthurs day , they have three great deals one of them is Hooker @ €3, cant remember the others

Also, they are not selling Guinness on the day!

*Just checked its Beamish, Hooker & Murphys @ €3

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've heard similar stories, from people who I consider to be equally well informed and unlikely to spread base-less rumours.

It might be that there were some catches (eg buy 20 kegs and we'll give you two free), but I'm pretty sure there was some input from Diageo to last years supplies

There's a sign up in Barr an Challadh saying E2.51/pint.

I'm picking that they ain't going to stock up on 2c pieces though.

I've started calling it "St Authur's Day" (you can guess what kind of vocal tone goes with it!). Love the Bierhaus approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Fibbers have €2.50 pints and €5 guinness stew, pints and lunch in fibbers for me! foxs is €2.50 also

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭yeehaw

I am told that the Hole in the Wall has €2 Guinness all day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Shanley wrote: »
    Bierhaus are having an anti-arthurs day , they have three great deals one of them is Hooker @ €3, cant remember the others

Fair fcuks to them.

The Arthur's Day thing is a sick, cynical marketing load of bullshti. But given the public's indifferent and apathetic attitude (which includes its reaction to the political tragedy that is unfolding before our eyes), I wouldn't be surprised if we swallow this whole shennanigans hook, line and sinker after a few years.

And Galway Hooker is the nicest thing out of glass I've tasted in years.

Absolutely delicious. I implore each and every one of you to try it. It's an acquired taste but once you drink one full pint, you'll be hooked.

K.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Shanley wrote: »

I'm sold!

kraggy wrote: »
    Fair fcuks to them.

The Arthur's Day thing is a sick, cynical marketing load of bullshti. But given the public's indifferent and apathetic attitude (which includes its reaction to the political tragedy that is unfolding before our eyes), I wouldn't be surprised if we swallow this whole shennanigans hook, line and sinker after a few years.

Absolutely delicious. I implore each and every one of you to try it. It's an acquired taste but once you drink one full pint, you'll be hooked.

K.

I agree with everything except the hooker thing, I think they are two fierce boring beers, but sure to each their own.

More is revealed in an article in today's Sentinel - can't find it on-line, sorry.

David Gray is headlining an open-air, ticket-only concert at the Docks, starting at 17:59.

Unless you are a ticket holder, don't expect to get in to Roisin Dubh, Kellys, Tigh Coilis or Taaffes afterwards.

And a well-placed source tells me that the tickets sold out a couple of weeks ago, and that artists from the concert will be gigging - not together ;) - in those pubs after the concert.

JustMary wrote: »
    More is revealed in an article in today's Sentinel - can't find it on-line, sorry.

David Gray is headlining an open-air, ticket-only concert at the Docks, starting at 17:59.

Unless you are a ticket holder, don't expect to get in to Roisin Dubh, Kellys, Tigh Coilis or Taaffes afterwards.

And a well-placed source tells me that the tickets sold out a couple of weeks ago, and that artists from the concert will be gigging - not together ;) - in those pubs after the concert.

There are seperate tickets to get into each venue. So a ticket for the docks doesnt garuntee you access to anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

kraggy wrote: »
    Fair fcuks to them.

K.
    At least you have a choice to support Arthurs Day or not. Don't go if you don't want to, unlike Valentines day where if you have an OH you are expected to partake and buy some overpriced crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tommolloy

I'm going to get €2 beamish in the HITW and kinda blend in with the crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 31 missfemale

there usually around 3euro a pint in mc swiggans

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

missfemale wrote: »
    there usually around 3euro a pint in mc swiggans

Yes this is true and fair play to them. Their pints as far as I know are €3 all the time.

It's a little sad that a pub puts on €3 pints for one day and people think it's a fantastic deal. They should be around that all the time. We are still getting ripped off in pubs in this country. It's no wonder people choose to drink at home. I know there's more involved than the price but it is a huge factor in why people drink at home/buy in off licences and do not go for casual drinks more often in pubs anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

any one know if No Banjo are playing from 6 in the porterhouse or is it just that seems to be the time of that toast thing (well 5.59 or something). Personally got to respect Diagio for such a genius stroke of marketing, was in dublin last year and the pubs were jammed even though there was no deals on at all (unlike here)

Advertisement