Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Pints in Galway - Arthurs Day

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tommolloy

missfemale wrote: »
    there usually around 3euro a pint in mc swiggans

same in fox's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

any one know if No Banjo are playing from 6 in the porterhouse or is it just that seems to be the time of that toast thing (well 5.59 or something). Personally got to respect Diagio for such a genius stroke of marketing, was in dublin last year and the pubs were jammed even though there was no deals on at all (unlike here)

There were deals in Dublin, a lot of pubs, maybe not in some of the bigger or more touristy ones though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Take a look at these threads

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056038774

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055688556&page=3

Can't find a better one from last year sorry

I was aware of promotions in one or two suburban pubs but the best I heard of was cheap pints for an hour in jammed pubs (so worked out at one cheaper pint and even then that was rare). Lived in Dublin city centre 7 or 8 years so well aware of were to have cheap pints

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Take a look at these threads

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056038774

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055688556&page=3

Can't find a better one from last year sorry

I was aware of promotions in one or two suburban pubs but the best I heard of was cheap pints for an hour in jammed pubs (so worked out at one cheaper pint and even then that was rare). Lived in Dublin city centre 7 or 8 years so well aware of were to have cheap pints

You originally said 'no deals' in Dublin. My mates' local had free pints from 6 to 7 for locals (in Rathmines I think) and at I knew of at least a couple more doing the cheaper pint all night. There may be more deals per capita here tho! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Someone told me that an pucan are doing 5 pints for a tenner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

yeah suppose "no deals" was a bit of an exageration but in the city centre there was very little, and it was much busier than a normal night due to the advertising.
    So nobody know if that the actual start time for NO Banjo

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

I heard pints of Guinness were €4 down at that in concert in the Docks last night, that was a bit tight considering people had already paid in and pubs up the town selling them at €2.50. I thought that with the whole promotional thing they'd have been cheaper. Wasn't there myself though, was the music any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

lookinbusy wrote: »
    I heard pints of Guinness were €4 down at that in concert in the Docks last night, that was a bit tight considering people had already paid in and pubs up the town selling them at €2.50. I thought that with the whole promotional thing they'd have been cheaper. Wasn't there myself though, was the music any good ?

Ya a bit pissed off at that. Only Guiness on sale (with alcohol in it), and pints were €4. They're cheaper than that in pubs on normal days in Galway City:rolleyes:

RE: the music, here's what I posted up in the Arthur's Day Gig thread:
    Col200sx wrote: »
    I'm still scratching my head wondering who the "special guests" at Folans Quay in Galway were.

Got there at 5.30, so got in there in good time, this is what I thought:

Imelda May was good, great voice
    Newton Faulkener was great, best act of the night
    Empire Saints were ok, but good to see an up and coming band play
    Sharon Shannon got the crowd buzzing and was good in that sense (Lucia Evans sang one song during her set)
    The Magic Numbers were very disppointing I thought
    Finally David Gray was good, but didn't blow the crowd away

So who were the special guests then?

Galway Bay FM John Richards was the mc, and Lucia Evans singing one song, were they considered the "special guests". Confusedconfused.gif

Oh, and bad form that the price of the pint of Guinness was more expensive than Galway on a normal day. €4 per pint, and not a thing else on sale (with alcohol in it). I thought there was meant to be promotions on.

Arthur must be smiling in his gravebiggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

Cheers Cool200sx, I hadn't seen your earlier post. That's a pity about the magic numbers I hoped they would have been good. €4 was a bit crap alright & I'm sure alot of people will feel like they've been duped by Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Imelda May was playing? Gah, I missed out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What is the obsession with Imelda Mae?

I really don't see it.

And 4 euro a pint is a disgrace. Hate the whole idea of a company taking over a town, to celebrate that company.

If it was a Heineken Green Sphere thing, I don't mind that as much, because they are merely sponsoring a celebration of good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

kraggy wrote: »
    What is the obsession with Imelda Mae?

I really don't see it.

And 4 euro a pint is a disgrace. Hate the whole idea of a company taking over a town, to celebrate that company.

If it was a Heineken Green Sphere thing, I don't mind that as much, because they are merely sponsoring a celebration of good music.

+1

Diageo was looking for a solution several years ago to make a one pour pint of Guinness as they felt that the average 2 minute wait affected their sales.

Let's all have a toast to Diageo for not looking for extra revenue!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

kraggy wrote: »
    And Galway Hooker is the nicest thing out of glass I've tasted in years.
    The name is very apt anyhow, in that it tastes like drain water that's been filtered through a hookers pair of month old knickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Quays were only selling Guinness products on draught last night think they were selling bottles of everything else but there was no pints of heinekin anyway!!!

Did anyone read declan varleys editorial in advertiser

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/31181

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Bumping to see if anyone knows of any pubs running offers this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 GalwayGirl1975

madness paying €3.70 - €4.50 for a pint
    get into home brew & make 40 pints for a tenner - much better taste and none of the chemicals - good fun too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hole In The Wall have it for €2 all ay Thurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 superhotarrows

Shanley wrote: »
    Foxs Porterhouse have a great pint, going to be €2.50 all day/night and No Banjo(Cartoon thieves) are playing from 6pm. They also have deals on Warsteiner/Sol/Hein Bottles as far as I know!

Well ya should know Conor! :D

Advertisement