Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants' Insurance

Options
  • 20-09-2010 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking about taking out contents insurance on my rented property - mainly due to the fact that we have a fair bit of high-end electrical gear.

I've had a look at some websites and the T&Cs can be interesting - i.e. built after 1900, cannot have exit onto common hallway etc.

I believe that our apartment would fail these criteria as it is in a converted red brick.

Can anyone offer any recommendations/experience for tenants' insurance?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭eagle_i

If you are living in an apartment the building is already insured under the Block Insurance policy, which is taken out by the Management Company. You simply need contents insurance, if you can't get a quote online, go to a broker.

If what you are saying about not having an exit onto a common hallway is correct, well then that means 99.99% of apartment buildings are disqualified as very few apartment have own door access from a street, nearly all apartments are accessed via a common hallway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

You also have to rememeber that if you are sharing a house with a number of people, each person must sign up for contents insurance or otherwise when you go to make a claim it maybe null and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

eagle_i wrote: »
    If you are living in an apartment the building is already insured under the Block Insurance policy, which is taken out by the Management Company. You simply need contents insurance, if you can't get a quote online, go to a broker.

I don't live in a custom built apartment block - I live in a converted Victorian house. There is no management company. All I am looking for is tenant's insurance or conents insurance.
    If what you are saying about not having an exit onto a common hallway is correct, well then that means 99.99% of apartment buildings are disqualified as very few apartment have own door access from a street, nearly all apartments are accessed via a common hallway!!

I know - it does seem odd. Thought I'd ask if anyone else has experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭eagle_i

General insurance is not my area, but from personal experience - ie. living in flats/apartments as a tenant, owner occupier and landlord - what you are looking for is contents insurance. If you are a tenant you do not have an insurable interest in the building therefore you do not need buildings cover. I think a few of the online providers do quote for contents insurance. However, if in doubt contact a general insurance broker, they will be able to put you on the right path.

Tenant insurance, have not come across this, so can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Try AXA or BOi Insurance Services.

• Advertisement
Advertisement