Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what next?

• 20-09-2010 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

A mate of mine has failed first year of the aircraft systems course. He is determined to repeat the year. He does not yet know if the college will allow him to repeat the year. Considering that he failed all of his exams, I am wondering if he is actually able for this course, and would like to offer him some advice. At this late stage, are there other options for him in terms of other courses he could study at Carlow IT or any other college?

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

PGL wrote: »
    A mate of mine has failed first year of the aircraft systems course. He is determined to repeat the year. He does not yet know if the college will allow him to repeat the year. Considering that he failed all of his exams, I am wondering if he is actually able for this course, and would like to offer him some advice. At this late stage, are there other options for him in terms of other courses he could study at Carlow IT or any other college?

cheers!

He will be lucky if he is signed off for the whole year as there is a huge demand on resources and the class is already full. But then again, he could be lucky!

Is he aware that if he can repeat that he won't be entitled to a grant and will have to pay full registration and tuition fees? approx 2,900 :eek:

At this stage he has 3 choices:

1. Repeat the year
    2. Look for a job for a while and repeat the exams (think they are semesterised in AS)
    3. Look at vacant places on CAO to see if he is interested in anything there.

TBH if he failed everything it does not bode well to repeat, did he fail cause he went off the rails for the year or just couldn't understand the course work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

He says he went off the rails and enjoyed himself too much, but I'm not convinced he is able for the course considering he failed all the exams during the year and in the repeats...

Could you direct me to where I could get more info on vacant cao courses?

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

Vacant places CAO >>> http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=vpl_enter

There won't be a huge selection at this point though.

The worst thing he could do is pick a course for the sake of doing one!

Advertisement