Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do with exercise bike?

• 20-09-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Foolishly some time ago I bought an exercise bike, should and would have bought a turbo trainer if I'd known they existed.

Anyway, now I have both - is there any use I can put the exercise bike to (no, the wife won't use it) or should I flog it? Is it any good for very high resistance strength work for example?

On a related note, my expensive carbon Felt tri bike that I recently bought 2nd hand is hooked up to the turbo. It flexes like crazy when I'm on it (I'm currently just over 14 stone, not going to get much lighter), and is really putting me off. The Spinervals DVDs I'm thinking of getting seem to have off-the-saddle sections in them that I ain't going to do on my TT bike on the turbo.

I'm considering getting a very cheap old racer and putting aerobars on it and trying to match the TT set-up. Is this worthwhile or am I over-reacting? (This would mean I would have 3 bikes (good road bike, good TT bike, turbo-only bike). Then I need a bike to commute on.... divorce beckons.)

Apologies for the stream of conciousness. To summarise: is my exercise bike of any use and should I get a cheap old racer for the turbo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you sell the exercise bike, you'll free up space for another real bike. No divorce necessary.

FWIW I wouldn't worry about flex on the turbo. Why does it bother you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

They make for excellent clothes hangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭shg101

Lumen wrote: »
    FWIW I wouldn't worry about flex on the turbo. Why does it bother you?

The engineer in me doesn't like the new stresses being placed on the frame, which are very different to those normally placed on it.

I glean from the internet that this is not a problem, but....

So am I correct in thinking all you experts put your best machines on the turbo?

Well, I've decided to sell the exercise bike and risk the TT bike on the turbo.

Need the cash to part-finance the tools needed to lift myself from mid-table mediocrity:

- Power meter
    - Wheel jacket
    - Garmin of some sort
    - Spinervals DVDs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

What's a wheel jacket?

• Advertisement

chakattack wrote: »
    What's a wheel jacket?

It's a device for checking whether anyone is reading my thread.

Seriously though, meant to say 'aero jacket', it's what all but a tiny proportion of people call a wheel or disc cover.

Advertisement