Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing old tile adhesive from a concrete floor

• 20-09-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

I have just removed all of the old tiles from a concrete kitchen floor using a coal (cold?) chisel and a bolster.
    There is a lot of old adhesive left on the floor. I can remove it using an old wood chisel but it is slooooooowwww going.

Any suggestions on a better & quicker way to do this? I want to leave the floor in the best condition possible for the guy that is going to do the tiling for me.

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Set your drill on hammer only, get the sharpest wide chisel bit you can and kneepads, really good kneepads :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

You'll need something like and old garden spade (flattish bottom edge and a long handle so you can work standing up) to break the bond between the adhesive and the concrete and a yard-brush to sweep up. For very stubborn bits you'll need a solvent (may late father and I used petrol years ago, not to be recommended) and some kind and a small scraper.

Make sure the tiler is prepared for a bit of inevitable filling / levelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Garden spade as suggested or hire out a big scraper.... Now you will learn the value of why a tiler charges so much more to take up floor tiles....

You might not get it all up and you might have to level the floor again.

Take your time its a real bitch of a job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

You can buy a large scraper in most hardware shops and it is fairly cheap and will handy for orther jobs again.

The blade is approx 10 inches wide and it will take up the old adhesive as it is designed for that exact job. (i got mine in caulfield's).

Good luck with it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Thanks for all of the help here -
    It is slow going and back-breaking work, but it is coming off.
    I should be ready on time for the tiler!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Kango with a bolster bit. You hold it at about 45 degree angle to the floor, and see will be gone in no time. It wont damage the concrete, and it will get it nearly bang on for good level surface. You will have to do a bit, sweep/hover and then go again to get it perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Try nitromors paint stripper, it will break down the glue, but be warned it's nasty stuff. Gloves, glasses, mask etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Poly wrote: »
    Try nitromors paint stripper, it will break down the glue, but be warned it's nasty stuff. Gloves, glasses, mask etc

I would not do this.... If kids are walking on the floor it could be very very dangerous... Not to say the danger to one;s self using it in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭handydandy

+1 for a large wide spade, it beats being on your knees for hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

SDS drill on hammer only with tile removing/spade bit and knee pads.
    It will raise lots of dust, so keep a sprayer handy.

Forget doing it by hand...

• Advertisement
Advertisement