Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

safe walking routes in the city?

• 20-09-2010 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭

coming in from the burbs for the winter nights, looking for a walking route that would be safe for a girl walking alone, would prefer to park maybe in ferrybank or sallypark area, and do around 5 or 6 km? any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Is this 'wan' for real!
    Are you the full shillin' my dear!
    You're askin' for advice on where to walk while
    walking alone on a public forum!:eek:

T'sure aren't Ireland breeding 'em.

No offence intended my dear lady but
    you should have more sense! XXX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

the dunmore road would be a busy route...so probably the safest

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

I think the RSC track is open in the evenings if that's any use to you.
    I'm not sure if it is open to walkers or members of an athletics club or what.
    This advice is probably not much use to ya sorry! It's not much of a view either! :o

Edit* Lots of walkers on the ring road too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Typhoon. wrote: »
    the dunmore road would be a busy route...so probably the safest

I agree. You could start somewhere on the key, out Lombard St (on right hand side), up Newtown, onto the Dunmore Rd and out as far as the Ballinakill. Its busy, and no where really to abduct someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The Ring Road would be a good route to walk. Plenty of traffic on it, it's lit and you don't have undesirables hanging around places.

• Advertisement

AdMMM wrote: »
    The Ring Road would be a good route to walk. Plenty of traffic on it, it's lit and you don't have undesirables hanging around places.

I hope you mean inner ring road (which wouldn't be much of a walk).

If a woman is walking alone on the outer ring road there are plenty of opportunities for someone to grab her and drag her into a field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

dayshah wrote: »
    I hope you mean inner ring road (which wouldn't be much of a walk).

If a woman is walking alone on the outer ring road there are plenty of opportunities for someone to grab her and drag her into a field.

Happens all the time, hardly a day goes by without someone being dragged off the ORR and raped. NOT.

Pitys sake. I dunno about the wrong side of the river. But Tesco/ORR - Williamstown rd - Ballygunner - Dunmore rd - ORR is very popular. Free parking in Tesco.

mike65 wrote: »
    Happens all the time, hardly a day goes by without someone being dragged off the ORR and raped. NOT.

Pitys sake. I dunno about the wrong side of the river. But Tesco/ORR - Williamstown rd - Ballygunner - Dunmore rd - ORR is very popular. Free parking in Tesco.

Thats because not many people would do it alone. Plenty was going on out that direction, or have you forgotten about a certain feud?

A feud pretty much by definition only effects the parties that are part of the fued, of course if you want to scare people feel free.

• Advertisement

A feud pretty much by definition only effects the parties that are part of the fued, of course if you want to scare people feel free.

Seriously, you really recommend a young woman to walk the outer ring road, in the dark, alone???

Luckily I don't think I've seen any woman stupid enough to do that.

During the day its fine. Between Ardkeen and that Kidzone place is fine. But when the OP asks for a safe walking route during the dark winter nights you direct her to a road in the countryside, a road where there are no adjoining houses, there are empty fields on either side, a barrier in the middle, and the nearest inhabitants are involved in a feud???

Did I? the route I sugested is the Dumore road/Willimastown road route which every time I drive down it at night (before about 9 pm) is busy with women walking.

I wouldn't walk the ORR not for safety reasons but cos its a windy road a lot of the time being quite open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

Is this 'wan' for real!
    Are you the full shillin' my dear!
    You're askin' for advice on where to walk while
    walking alone on a public forum!:eek:

thanks for that but im hardly advising would be attackers which route i would take, and when!

the orr tesco, dunmore rd sounds ok, i would be a little dubious of the woodstown rd part as its not hugely busy with traffic, but it always seem to have lots of walkers& joggers.

wouldnt go anywhere near the new road (dont know the name, the one with all the roundabouts linking tesco to tkmaxx etc) just way too lonely, even though it has lots of traffic.

the rac i would find a bit boring! looks like i may have to pick up a partner to broaden my choices!

thanks for the suggestions

Straycat wrote: »

wouldnt go anywhere near the new road (dont know the name, the one with all the roundabouts linking tesco to tkmaxx etc) just way too lonely, even though it has lots of traffic.
    The new road is called the Outer Ring Road (sometimes abbreviated as ORR). The old ring road (confusingly, but less often referred to as the ORR) is properly called the Inner Ring Road. It goes from the Cork Rd roundabout where the bowling alley was, all the way to the roundabout by that church near the Ursuline (I've forgotten the name of the church).

I agree about the one to stay away from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Did I? the route I sugested is the Dumore road/Willimastown road route which every time I drive down it at night (before about 9 pm) is busy with women walking.
    Absolutely true. I'm a bloke (or maybe a woman trapped in a man's body :D) and I walk this route on a regular basis and it's quite safe and a regular circuit for walkers/joggers of all ages and genders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yeah, up until around 9.30 there are plenty of women and couples walking in the Ballygunner area.

Another good one might be if you park down near St Benildus's church in Newtown (near Newtown School there), then go out as far as the hospital, down past Tesco/DID, back in the way (turn right), then turn right once you get to Lower Newtown/Percy Terrace. That road will take you down to Newtown School.

The OH and I walk this regularly and find it's fine.

I wouldn't walk the ORR not for safety reasons but cos its a windy road a lot of the time being quite open.

Yes you did. You should read back over the posts. I was referring to walking the outer ring road, which apart from the small section between Kidzone and the hospital, would not be a recommended safe place to walk alone in the dark.

You then sarcastically replied to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Wow I cant believe that someone recommended walking the orr alone in the dark! Thats mental. Stay away from it. Not because I've heard that things have happened out there but its a very isolated road and it would'nt take much effort on the part of a 'bad guy' to abduct someone.

There's a nice 5k walk around there though. Park at tesco, walk out and turn left down to the hospital, left again and keep walking down past uluru to the mini roundabout, take first exit and keep walking down to traffic lights. Turn left up the hill (get your heart going), left again at top of hill, up johns hill to the top and turn left at farronshoneen roundabout back to tesco.

dayshah wrote: »
    Yes you did. You should read back over the posts. I was referring to walking the outer ring road, which apart from the small section between Kidzone and the hospital, would not be a recommended safe place to walk alone in the dark.

You then sarcastically replied to this.

Right I ned to make sure we are both on the same page, you are saying the section of the ORR marked in blue is dangerous? Cos thats the section I was talking about walking as a recomended route.

Walkingroute.jpg

My sarcasm was directed at the idea the whole ORR is a rape/murder trap as you suggested

OK Mike, this is the sequence of posts:

AdMMM suggests the 'Ring Road' as a route

I then ask for a clarification as the Inner Ring Road would be a bit short for a walk, and it would be dangerous to walk the whole Outer Ring Road.

You then sarcastically replied about the Outer Ring Road, and then referred to a route that involves a relatively short (and safe) section of the Outer Ring Road. You gave the impression that you thought the whole Outer Ring Road would be safe, and that anyone who would warn against it is just scaremongering.

Just using the Kidzone to Ardkeen section of the Outer Ring Road would be a fairly small route. It was completely obvious that I was referring to using the whole of the Outer Ring Road.

• Advertisement

I still think the whole ORR is not a dangerous route, I see (admitedly probably crazy people) jogging through the orange lit gloom winter/sping/summer/autumn in all conditions. I'm not aware of any incidents, though no doubt someone at some point may have had a "scary moment" in the last 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Straycat

dermo909 wrote: »
    Wow I cant believe that someone recommended walking the orr alone in the dark! Thats mental. Stay away from it. Not because I've heard that things have happened out there but its a very isolated road and it would'nt take much effort on the part of a 'bad guy' to abduct someone.

i would tend to agree with this, in the day it would be fine, but after dark it would have no houses and lots of ditches/hedges and undergrowth to provide cover for a would be attacker, now i know you can get abducted in the centre of a town but an area like this where there can be short breaks in traffic, no passersby or no squinting windows is ideal for an opportunist. (lest we not forget Larry.)

Advertisement