Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public/Private Fulltime Carer @ Home

• 20-09-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi,

I hope this is the correct forum for this query - if not, my apologies and please let me know.

Does anyone know how I would go about finding recommendations for either a private or a public home care service provider? My grandmother is 92 years old and living in a rural area, whose physical health has recently taken a sharp nosedive, but whose mind is still clear and alert. She was discharged from the hospital to a local nursing home for pain management and physiotherapy last week, however we removed her from it immediately due to poor hygiene and management at the home. She is currently being looked after by relatives, but this is a short term solution. I've been asked to research a carer for her at night, and perhaps some part of the day, who would have medical knowledge and be willing to act as a carer/companion for an old lady. My grandmother has some degree of heart failure, along with severe osteoarthritis and is unable to walk unassisted at the moment.

While we are looking into residential nursing home options, her wish is to remain in her home, and we are reluctant to turn to a nursing home again unless absolutely necessary.

I hope this is the right place for it, we as a family are willing to consider all public and private options.

Thanks in Advance =)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Limerick/Tipperary area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

your local health authority (through your phn) should provide you with Homehelp (carers hours) . However it sounds like you need someone for bit longer hours. I know Home Instead own the contract (eg they work for the HSE). I can't vouch for how good they are. i think there's comfort keepers too and if you do recruit a private carers check their references/ get garda vetting done. agencies would do this as standard and all carers should be trained in moving and handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Thanks for that, will check it out =)

Advertisement