Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL Medicine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ULbound

Hi all,

Im hoping to be heading down to limerick this sept to start medicine (hoping my gammy score will get me in!). I have dyslexia and a speech disorder which hasnt stopped me so far in my studies but does require a bit of patience and understanding on the part of the tutors/examiners mainly when correcting exams. i was just wondering if there is any current UL students out there who has dylsexia/is aware of someone in the class with it and what is the attitude of the staff/fellow class mates in UL? limerick is my first choice as really like the idea of PBL and that its a graduate only class but am just abit worried now how UL cope with learning difficulties? i'd appreciate if anyone could share their experiences

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

To be honest, I haven't a clue. I am not aware of anyone with dyslexia or any other learning difficulty in the course, I've never asked anyone though.

In the first two years the assessment is mostly MCQ and SAQ which require very little reading and very little writing. However, they are done for time and would require very quick and careful reading of the questions. The college have accommodated people with physical disabilities to make small changes to make the exam fairer. I would guess, and this is purely a guess, for someone with dyslexia they would provide the usual measures - extended reading time and possibly a reader.

The head of school etc. are contactable via the med school website and would be prompt and sincere with their response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

i know a few with dyslexia in med, both grad and undergrad. I'd contact UL and discuss the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭hurdygurdy85

Scientist1 wrote: »
    Can Mrs Stuffings please be kicked off of Boards? Every time I am genuinely looking for info I keep coming across the same stupid useless argument. And in relation to your smugness, did you not have to sit the exam THREE times to obtain that score!!!!

Anyway, I am wondering If anyone is else freaking about the lateness of the CAO offers? I'm working full-time (long hours, shift-work) and I've signed a contract which states that I will give at least 4 weeks notice If leaving...If you are offered a late place, does that mean you can start a bit later???Is there a cut-off date for registration? Is there a cut-off date for loan applications and how long does the loan take???

Surely, people can't accept an offer, finish work, pack up, move, find somewhere to live, apply for loan etc etc in a week or two???

Hey Scientist1,
    From my experience in dealing with loans, last year I spoke to AIB in UL the day I got an offer from round zero (which was 5th August or something) and arranged to meet with their GEM student lender when I arrived home the following week (I was abroad at the time). The student lender was so nice to deal with and the loan was fairly easy to arrange-an official offer from CAO & a good credit rating should generally ensure that you get approved. Once all the major paperwork was done in that one meeting, they just needed a signature to release the funds closer to the course starting date in order to pay fees. In the end, I turned down my place but was in contact with some people who did start the course and they said that a few people started the course a few weeks after everyone else. Which must have been from the later CAO rounds. So the college obviously facilitated their registration at that late date. Also presuming they too had to take out loans, there musn't be a deadline by which you have to apply for loans.

I understand your worries on quitting work with short notice. Last year I got a right bollocking (dragged up to HR for good measure) for not providing 4 full weeks' notice. But who gives a crap when you've got an offer/golden ticket for Medicine in your hand? I certainly didn't. It's beyond your control if you get a late offer anyways.

If round zero has passed without an offer you can find out where you are placed on a waiting list for any given college if you ring their medical dept. That should give you an idea as to where and if you should start to look for accomodation. You can put deposits down on on-campus accomodation early in advance just in case you do get an offer. I did that with UL and only missed out on €50 in the end even after pulling out of the agreement. (But you have to let them know you're not taking the accomodation by a certain date or they will keep your rent for the 1st semester.) Either way, the colleges have to facilitate for the fact that some students will start after the official start date. Most of them will have late registration dates. If you get a round 1 or 2 offer you'll have to drop everything and run & organise the loan/registration/accomodation as quickly as possible. I presume what they cover in the course while you are not there will still be examined at a later stage, so you'd need to catch up fairly quickly. Hopefully it'll work out for you though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 netaddict

Dyslexia usually doesn't hinder most folks but have to admit I haven't seen any severe dyslexics in medicine. My own flat mate has dyslexia and is a fantastic physician. But I have to caution you against medicine if you have a severe speech impediment. An awful lot of what is involved in the job involves communication often in a time restricted environment. I hate putting people of there dreams but smart people would often have a happier life using their skills in a different environment than medicine if they find certain aspects of the job will be difficult.

Note most universities offer extra time for written examinations however often at uni's the practical exams such as osce's extra time cannot be supplied due to organisational difficulties and with a speech impediment these exams may prove to be quite difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Scientist1

Thanks a million for the info! Really helpfull - just wondering why you picked AIB over Ulster Bank - were their terms and conditions better? Do you need a guarantor?
    Yeah I'd walk out of work in the morning and head straight to med school If I could, just rather leave on good terms ;) - fingers crossed I get Round 1 - first time gamsater - got 56 - abysmal section 3 - do you mind me asking what score you had for round 1 last year???

Thanks a million for the info! Really helpfull - just wondering why you picked AIB over Ulster Bank - were their terms and conditions better? Do you need a guarantor?
    Yeah I'd walk out of work in the morning and head straight to med school If I could, just rather leave on good terms ;) - fingers crossed I get Round 1 - first time gamsater - got 56 - abysmal section 3 - do you mind me asking what score you had for round 1 last year???

No problem. Thinking back on it now, AIB had a lower interest rate than Ulster Bank (i think) and they were willing to take on my existing loans aswell. I've always been with AIB but my choice was based on the interest rate since we're going to be paying back a lot of money for a long time. I didnt need a guarantor, but you do have to take out an insurance policy on the loan.

There's a thread here about other people's experience of UL & finance.
    http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/royal-college-surgeons-ireland-medical-school/32863-university-limerick-med-school-funding.html

Also, here's a link to a pdf with all of Ulster Banks details for the GEM package. They dont seem to give an interest rate though-you'd probably have to ring the UL branch to find out the current rate.
    http://www2.ul.ie/pdf/718128609.pdf

From my experience if you ring any branch other than the branch that deals directly with the college, you get put on hold 18 times while they look at eachother confusedly and think that they've got a crazy on the line. UL seem to work as much with AIB (Castletroy) as they do with Ulster Bank (on-campus) so that's handy.

I was sitting on 59 last year & got UL in round zero as it was my second choice. Sitting on a 61 this year hoping to get into UCD/UCC. So tired of waiting.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Molly_88

52 days.... its not like im counting tho..:p

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

There was a piece on the one o'clock news this afternoon on Radio1 about Graduate Medicine, I only heard the end of it so not sure how much depth they went into, or how long. They were talking to some UL students who graduated today and their experience, it was interesting. Could be worth having a look back on the RTE player if it's on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ULbound

hiya, ive just seen that was interesting to listen to. heres the link-its the video on the right side:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0614/doctors.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭MLH1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

now it's up to these fine students to build a reputation for UL

Paul Finnucane looked so proud of his students. Fair play to them all. Time the stuffiness of old school medicine in Ireland changed for once and for all. The sceptics will be watching no doubt. Best of luck to all the UL GEM grads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 xlough30

I got 56 in the Gamsat, what do people reckon my chances of getting an offer from UL will be. And what round will it be cos id be worried about the hassle of getting accomodation and stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭sparrow3

To be honest, no one has any idea what the points requirements will be in 0 round, 1st or 2nd round.

However, the fact that places are increasing and numbers of applicants has reduced would indicate that points requirements should stay the same as last year or drop a mark.

Since a number of people got into UL last year on 56, i reckon you have a very good chance of getting in. My own guess is that UL will be 56 or 57 Round 0 ( offers on 4th August) and 1st round offers (around 24th August) will be 56 too

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 watawaster

If you're worried about accomodation maybe it'd be an idea to put a deposit on the UL campus accom. Its 250 and if you don't get offered medicine ya get 200 back.

I'd say UL wil be 56 again, you never know maybe mrs stuffings was a blessing in disguise for you and turned a few peeps off UL? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 caz_von

the countdown is killing me! So desperate to hand in my notice :D

I really don't know Limerick very well but I am looking to rent a 2-3 bedroom apartment/house in a decent area. Would be happy with a bit of a commute. Does anyone have a suggestion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kruzer

I'd say this has been asked a trillion times but...I got 57 and I have UL as the third choice in my application. If I don't get either of the top two (RCSI and UCD and I know it's unlikely) is there preference for applicants with the same score who had UL as higher in the list?

Basically I am asking if you think I should put UL higher in my application as that is my most likely destination (if any)? Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Molly_88

No cao doesnt work like that u should read the cao handbook. basically it doesnt matter what order u put them in, the cao will only go by which course your eligible for. the only thing order of choice is important for is if u want to move up the list in further rounds if places become available. so u should really only put your order in terms of preference.

so basically it wont give you an advantage putting UL first (if its not ur first choice) it will only really impede u if u want to move up a course in further rounds.

sorry if I didn't explain this well! its all in the cao handbook. failing that you can go to leaving cert forum where they have questions like this. I was thinkin a similar question as u and posted it here (yep i didnt read the cao handbook either, i sound like a very promising doctor..:S) -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72346123

hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kruzer

The CAO hand book is terribly written so I don't bother with it, thanks for the help

• Advertisement

caz_von wrote: »

I really don't know Limerick very well but I am looking to rent a 2-3 bedroom apartment/house in a decent area. Would be happy with a bit of a commute. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I hear you, dreaming about handing in my notice! You can get a nice double room in a house in Castletroy, near UL, for 200 - 300e...rents are pretty low in Limerick...check out daft...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭heybert

caz_von wrote: »

I hear you, dreaming about handing in my notice! You can get a nice double room in a house in Castletroy, near UL, for 200 - 300e...rents are pretty low in Limerick...check out daft...

For this who can (maybe with a parental guarantee), purchasing a small property in Limerick might not be a bad idea. You can get a 2 bed apartment for under 100k with the equivalent to rent in repayments.

And if the bank ask about income you can tell them that they have just guaranteed it for the next four years!!

Fat chance, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 caz_von

heybert wrote: »
    For this who can (maybe with a parental guarantee), purchasing a small property in Limerick might not be a bad idea. You can get a 2 bed apartment for under 100k with the equivalent to rent in repayments.

And if the bank ask about income you can tell them that they have just guaranteed it for the next four years!!

Fat chance, I know.

Ha classsic!

If I get Limerick then I am going to have to look at places halfway between Cork and Limerick as the hubby will probably only get work in Cork. Guess the regions in between would be cheap enough?

I'm screwed on my 56 aren't I??? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭MrsStuffings

yeah pretty much so.no matter how bad some people make UL out to be the points wont go lower than 57.
    id sign up for september's exam and start studying again if i were you.
    have a 68 myself so i'm safely on course for RCSI.
    best of luck with the repeat.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Paella

With the overall increase in graduate entry places I think 56 should be enough to get you a place, whether in Round 0 or Round 1. It might be fairly late in the month if you do get an offer though; a lot of Dublin-based people seem to turn down Cork and Limerick with the aim of re-sitting the GAMSAT and getting UCD/RCSI the following year.

I'd ignore the immature stuff coming from MrsStuffings; she only seems to come on here to either try and wind other people up or parade her 'great' score. The GAMSAT is just a 1-day test, I can't see how a good mark in it can be used as the sole indicator of potential suitability for Medicine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

You'll know in a couple of days Scientist1. Que sera sera and all that. Last year someone on 54 was offered a place in UL according to reports, so it's not impossible that you will be offered a place there. Many of those with higher scores that miss out on their colleges of choice in Dublin and Cork are likely to reject the offer of UL in favour of doing the exam again, so that might work in favour along with the decrease in numbers of applicants. The curve for the Irish exam this year was not hugely different from last year, but the numbers of people applying with high scores from the UK has probably jumped so that's the only thing that could go against you (and me) and rise the scores.

So in short, you've given yourself a chance. A decent chance imo

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭heybert

yeah pretty much so.no matter how bad some people make UL out to be the points wont go lower than 57.
    id sign up for september's exam and start studying again if i were you.
    have a 68 myself so i'm safely on course for RCSI.
    best of luck with the repeat.
    ;)

WUM if I've ever seen one. You're good though, I'll give you that!

heybert wrote: »
    WUM if I've ever seen one. You're good though, I'll give you that!

Not good enough though - starting to repeat herself - needs new material! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 getleft

Wouldn't like to be stuck out in Sandyford with her for the year. ;)

Advertisement