Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL Medicine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 arzieparzie

Ellymay3 wrote: »
    I think the fundamental point you are missing is that the GAMSAT is an ENTRANCE exam. The fact that UL accepts applicants with 54's has damn all to do with the calibre of doctor that applicant becomes in the end. There are rigourous examinations and copious amounts of work to get through before they graduate and begin working as doctors.

Anyone reading this thread and is feeling put off from applying because they have a 54/55, do not bother wasting a year of your life studying for and resitting the GAMSAT. Apply. You may as well. Also, I must point out that people with too much self-importance and snobbery (such as is displayed openly in this thread) do get weeded out, and do find it difficult themselves.
    We have a laid back course here, in the sense that everyone is approachable, friendly and helpful. We rely on one another to help get us by which makes the dynamic so much more interesting than any sort of program I've ever been on before. Those with their 65's who are too clever or proud to ask for help are those who get left behind.

UL may accept applicants with lower GAMSAT scores (mainly in part to the larger class size) but at least they aren't churning out the types of medics who walk around with their noses in the air, too up themselves to ask for help or admit when they are wrong or struggling.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Also, pc11 53 may have been in the 40th percentile in the UK in 2012, however we are in Ireland and 53 was in the 52nd percentile. To be honest now I think I've said my bit and anyone reading this thread can make their own opinions on the matter. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Well UL have lower requirements largely due to the fact that there are about 140 people in each class, which is roughly 3 times the number in some other universities. If UL felt that the requirements were too low they would cap it and have a smaller class. They would not jeopardise the reputation of the course just to keep numbers up.

I respectfully disagree. I think they (or any college) would be very slow to set a cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ellymay3

I respectfully disagree. I think they (or any college) would be very slow to set a cap.

Sure what does it matter if they let someone in with a score of 20? If they don't pass exams then they do not progress. How are some of you people not understanding that a GAMSAT score does not secure you an MD??? Hard work IN MEDICAL SCHOOL does. Not poxy entrance exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Because it becomes a farce if people are getting in that are completely unequiped to deal with the demands of the course.

Because it becomes a farce if people are getting in that are completely unequiped to deal with the demands of the course.

But how do you know if they're equipped to deal with the course or not? If a person is not able to handle the course then they do not progress. Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

I think you're forgetting that everyone sitting the GAMSAT has at least a 2.1 degree. While people may argue over how much this means, it at least shows they have either a good work ethic or are very intelligent. Either way you won't qualify for the course if you aren't capable of doing it; certainly not if you are a fool, and the risk of failing is on the students doing the course to decide if they would be able for it; no one is unaware of the reputation medicine has for being very difficult.

I know of a person who repeated GAMSAT after getting score in late 40s and replaced it on next try with score in early 60s. He was not an idiot with a magical spell cast on him to make him a genius... fact is the exam doesn't mean that much and a lot is down to whether or not you have a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bohemian2010

Just to add my two cents, work with UL grads as NCHDs, so have seen 1st hand the high standard of clinical training they underwent, for the posters who think that the standard of students entering the UL gem programme are not of a high enough standard academically, all I can say is that the ones I work with have all passed their post graduate membership exams 1st time (something I didnt do), and from chatting to them, it seems their classmates in other specialties have done the same, The course is naturally going to come under fire as it is still in its relative infancy but the graduates so far have been very reassuring about the standards down in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

I do understand what you're getting at but to be frank I think UL are better qualified to decide whether or not a candidate's score is sufficient or not. I do not think that it is your place to be judging what is a good or bad score without having full and accurate information surrounding the issue.
    Well UL have lower requirements largely due to the fact that there are about 140 people in each class, which is roughly 3 times the number in some other universities. If UL felt that the requirements were too low they would cap it and have a smaller class. They would not jeopardise the reputation of the course just to keep numbers up.

just a few quick points here not arguing for or against.

1. UL has the lowest GAMSAT score because it is the vast majority of applicants last choice it has nothing to do with class size (UCD is up to 110 and yet the scores are still far higher as you would expect with a more established course)

2. 53 is a bad GAMSAT score based on the percentile curve of people who take the exam. The universities dont care what score you get in on they just want your money. All colleges would take someone with a score of 10 if it came down to it

3. Medicine is medicine just get in and you'll be fine! the better college you go to generally means the easier time you'll have in college I highly doubt it dictates what kinda doc you'll be

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jpat90

It's a tricky one alright! I think there's an allowance made for it though if you have applied for a scholarship... nobody can afford the fees straight off anyways.. pretty much everyone gets a loan so maybe you could apply for a loan until you see if you get the scholarship just as a back up? I'd ask the people who deal with the scholarships what sort of plan they have in place for it. UL is a really great university and have a great bunch of people that will try to help you as best they can with that sort of stuff.

Hi, I just came across this post while looking for info on costs associated with studying grad med. I sat the GAMSAT in September and got a score of 65, and UL is my top choice. It seems that I have a very good chance of being offered a place with that score, so I've turned to thinking about how I would finance it. Basically, if I accepted the offer, I would be on a very tight budget. It would be amazing to be offered one of the scholarships, but I know that I can't count on that.

Is it possible, in the opinion of any current grad med students, to hold down some part-time work while studying grad med? I know the course must be very intense, and this might sound crazy, but what about 8-10 hours a week? Or maybe taking on a few students for grinds (e.g., LC students, or undergrads in the discipline I qualified in)? I've been researching accommodation prices and there seems to be a fair amount of pretty affordable accommodation close to the uni (e.g., 60 p/w). If I were careful with my money besides, it seems that I would be able to get by on a relatively small budget.

It seems to me that my choice is to either accept a place in the realisation that it will be tough to stay on top financially, or not go at all. I'd really appreciate any advice. :)

jpat90 wrote: »
    Hi, I just came across this post while looking for info on costs associated with studying grad med. I sat the GAMSAT in September and got a score of 65, and UL is my top choice. It seems that I have a very good chance of being offered a place with that score, so I've turned to thinking about how I would finance it. Basically, if I accepted the offer, I would be on a very tight budget. It would be amazing to be offered one of the scholarships, but I know that I can't count on that.

Is it possible, in the opinion of any current grad med students, to hold down some part-time work while studying grad med? I know the course must be very intense, and this might sound crazy, but what about 8-10 hours a week? Or maybe taking on a few students for grinds (e.g., LC students, or undergrads in the discipline I qualified in)? I've been researching accommodation prices and there seems to be a fair amount of pretty affordable accommodation close to the uni (e.g., 60 p/w). If I were careful with my money besides, it seems that I would be able to get by on a relatively small budget.

It seems to me that my choice is to either accept a place in the realisation that it will be tough to stay on top financially, or not go at all. I'd really appreciate any advice. :)

When it comes to part time work it really depends on the person. It is extremely hard to hold down a job when you're doing this course but if you're very focused and committed it is possible. I've had a part time job until this week and it's been fine but sometimes it was tough. You can only really afford to take off 1 day per week in this course (either Sat or Sun) and that is only if you've been keeping on top of your work. If you get your coursework done early in the week you could work probably 1 day a week but that would mean giving up your free time!
    But to be honest this course is so great that if having a part time job is the only way you can make it work then go for it!
    I feel like I should warn you though that part time work probably won't be possible in year 3/4 cos you're moving around on clinical rotations

• Advertisement

When it comes to part time work it really depends on the person. It is extremely hard to hold down a job when you're doing this course but if you're very focused and committed it is possible. I've had a part time job until this week and it's been fine but sometimes it was tough. You can only really afford to take off 1 day per week in this course (either Sat or Sun) and that is only if you've been keeping on top of your work. If you get your coursework done early in the week you could work probably 1 day a week but that would mean giving up your free time!
    But to be honest this course is so great that if having a part time job is the only way you can make it work then go for it!
    I feel like I should warn you though that part time work probably won't be possible in year 3/4 cos you're moving around on clinical rotations

Thank you for the reply, arzieparzie! :) That's pretty much the same as what I've been told so far. I do think that the short-term pain of juggling studies and work might be worth the long-term gain of doing such a great course, and of working as a doctor. I've worked two days and sometimes more previously in uni and I've made it work. I might have to start eliminating any 'excess' sleep from my schedule to prepare... ;)

jpat90 wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply, arzieparzie! :) That's pretty much the same as what I've been told so far. I do think that the short-term pain of juggling studies and work might be worth the long-term gain of doing such a great course, and of working as a doctor. I've worked two days and sometimes more previously in uni and I've made it work. I might have to start eliminating any 'excess' sleep from my schedule to prepare... ;)

I've always been the same. Just to give you a quick run down on what first year is laid out like... you'll have anatomy once a week on a monday and you'll be given a load of case work to have done for the following week. PBL is on tuesdays and fridays and in each session you'll have learning objectives to complete in between. You'll have clinical skills on mondays and thursdays and then lectures wednesdays and other lectures spread out on all other days. So basically you'll need to do your anatomy mini cases on tues and wed and pbl stuff thurs and friday and then you might have a hope of some weekend work! :eek:

I've always been the same. Just to give you a quick run down on what first year is laid out like... you'll have anatomy once a week on a monday and you'll be given a load of case work to have done for the following week. PBL is on tuesdays and fridays and in each session you'll have learning objectives to complete in between. You'll have clinical skills on mondays and thursdays and then lectures wednesdays and other lectures spread out on all other days. So basically you'll need to do your anatomy mini cases on tues and wed and pbl stuff thurs and friday and then you might have a hope of some weekend work! :eek:

Sounds challenging, for sure... But if you work on a Saturday, for example, that's just 8(ish) hours out of that day, so I'm hoping weekends won't be a dead loss? Even so, I'm sure that that's enough to put a serious dent in the time I would have available to do course work...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SmileyRK

I'm currently working about 14 hours a week and I still manage to get all the work done. It really just depends on how you manage your time and how focused you are. i do have my good and bad weeks though :p Sometimes then you won't want to take a day off a week and may try to get some work done on the Saturday.

With regards the lower GAMSAT scores, I really don't think that has a bearing on anyone in the course at the moment. Once you get into the school, you'll realize that everyone here has the focus and drive to achieve really well, regardless of their entrance mark. As other have said, the GAMSAT is just an entrace exam and very much depends on whether you're on the ball the day of or not. Anyone with a score of 50 or above should not be deterred from applying just because some snobby people with a score of 65 said not to. The course in UL is amazing, the people are amazing and the sheer amount of information that you absorb in such a short amount of time is incredible. I'm loving it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 amorris452

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has already been asked, I scanned through and haven't spotted anything. I was just wondering if anyone knows where the majority of GEMs at UL tend to live, are they on or off campus (if not living at home)? Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a site or two I could use to price/search some off campus accommodation as I'm not really familiar with Limerick and cheaper accommodation would be more feasible?

As I said sorry if this has been asked already! Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

amorris452 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Sorry if this has already been asked, I scanned through and haven't spotted anything. I was just wondering if anyone knows where the majority of GEMs at UL tend to live, are they on or off campus (if not living at home)? Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a site or two I could use to price/search some off campus accommodation as I'm not really familiar with Limerick and cheaper accommodation would be more feasible?

Can't answer specifically on GEMs but UL students living off campus generally live in the Castletroy area either in private accommodation or off-campus student villages. Your other option would be in the city centre which is about half way between UL and the regional hospital but would require a bus/cycle/long walk to UL. Daft.ie and the Limerick Post classified section (available online) will give you an idea of standards/pricing and you could always google UL off Campus student villages. You could try contacting the UL accommodation office too http://www.studentliving.ul.ie/index.jsp?p=128&n=141.

letsdothis wrote: »
    Can't answer specifically on GEMs but UL students living off campus generally live in the Castletroy area either in private accommodation or off-campus student villages. Your other option would be in the city centre which is about half way between UL and the regional hospital but would require a bus/cycle/long walk to UL. Daft.ie and the Limerick Post classified section (available online) will give you an idea of standards/pricing and you could always google UL off Campus student villages. You could try contacting the UL accommodation office too http://www.studentliving.ul.ie/index.jsp?p=128&n=141.

Ah brilliant! Cheers!

Hey guys,

A lot of people live in Quigley which is on campus accommodation and is really nice! There's 3 blocks of apartments and over 2 of them are for med students and 1 is for postgrads, which is a definite plus. it's expensive enough but totally worth it.. hard to get into tho so if you think you're going to be going to UL book now! It's about 20 feet from the GEMS building so it's very handy. Cappavilla Village is also right beside GEMS (and Quigley is technically part of it), not as fancy but a lil bit cheaper and pretty nice! Thomond Village is another on campus village and is the next closest, just like Cappa but go to Cappa or Quigley if you're going with on campus accommodation.
    Off campus you'll probably be able to get a house or whatever with some people but there's a lot of student built places too like Courtyard Student Village and Brookfield Hall are grand too... bout a 20 min walk from GEMS but there's a bus that goes into the main campus daily too so you'd just have to walk the 5 ish mins to GEMS form there. They are quite a bit cheaper but not as nice or handy as on campus accommodation, which I think are worth the extra money..
    Hope this helps!

A lot of people live in Quigley which is on campus accommodation and is really nice! There's 3 blocks of apartments and over 2 of them are for med students and 1 is for postgrads, which is a definite plus. it's expensive enough but totally worth it.. hard to get into tho so if you think you're going to be going to UL book now! It's about 20 feet from the GEMS building so it's very handy. Cappavilla Village is also right beside GEMS (and Quigley is technically part of it), not as fancy but a lil bit cheaper and pretty nice! Thomond Village is another on campus village and is the next closest, just like Cappa but go to Cappa or Quigley if you're going with on campus accommodation.
    Off campus you'll probably be able to get a house or whatever with some people but there's a lot of student built places too like Courtyard Student Village and Brookfield Hall are grand too... bout a 20 min walk from GEMS but there's a bus that goes into the main campus daily too so you'd just have to walk the 5 ish mins to GEMS form there. They are quite a bit cheaper but not as nice or handy as on campus accommodation, which I think are worth the extra money..
    Hope this helps!

Ah sounds great, thanks! I'll have a look at some of the on campus ones you've mentioned then! Cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nivag7

Hey guys,

There is a newly created Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/ULMedicine2017/) page for all incoming students to UL Gems this year where questions and queries are being asked and answered. It's mostly populated with North American students at the moment as they have just got their acceptance but as the CAO results come out more and more EU students will be joining so keep an eye out as many of them could be looking to live off campus as well. There are also a few documents that give info about setting up in Limerick.

On your initial question, I've lived both on and off campus as a GEMS student and here are a few pro's and cons for both.

On Campus:
    Pros: Close, All Bills included, Live with new classmates
    Cons: Expensive, cabin fever sets in quickly when you're in the same place nearly 24/7

Off Campus:
    Pros: Cheaper, Freedom, More comfortable
    Cons: Further away from Med Building (~5min drive, 15 min cycle, 35 walk from most places)

• Advertisement

nivag7 wrote: »
    There is a newly created Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/ULMedicine2017/) page for all incoming students to UL Gems this year where questions and queries are being asked and answered. It's mostly populated with North American students at the moment as they have just got their acceptance but as the CAO results come out more and more EU students will be joining so keep an eye out as many of them could be looking to live off campus as well. There are also a few documents that give info about setting up in Limerick.

On your initial question, I've lived both on and off campus as a GEMS student and here are a few pro's and cons for both.

On Campus:
    Pros: Close, All Bills included, Live with new classmates
    Cons: Expensive, cabin fever sets in quickly when you're in the same place nearly 24/7

Off Campus:
    Pros: Cheaper, Freedom, More comfortable
    Cons: Further away from Med Building (~5min drive, 15 min cycle, 35 walk from most places)

Hey there, sorry it's taken me a while to reply, been busy with finals. Thanks for the info, really helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dublindoctor

pc11 wrote: »
    If that were true, then why are they using the GAMSAT score as a method to rank applicants? Either it's a pointless exam and the colleges are being highly negligent in using it and ACER's years of research are useless, or the college is being disingenuous.

All things being equal, a 63 is a better sign of ability than a 53. That doesn't change the fact that putting in the work is necessary for all students. To be blunt, I think 53 is not a very good score. That's not to say that a 53 can not do well in med school, of course.

GAMSAT is just an entrance exam, and it's a problem solving exam, just like HPAT and UKCAT it doesnt reflect intelligence, and some people just do not do well in these types of tests.

I have scholarships, publications and a 1:1 from my undergrad degree in biochemistry and I have only scored a 53 in the GAMSAT. So i think to base someone capability of doing well in medicine on thier GAMSAT score is very naive and not accurate, there are always exceptions though!

I'm not being defensive towards you, i read your post. There are alot of posts on here though that seem to think that GAMSAT scores are a direct reflection of how well you will do, and it's just ridiculous someone could think that. GAMSAT is merely a formality to an entrance requirements to prevent masses of applications having to be processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

GAMSAT is just an entrance exam, and it's a problem solving exam, just like HPAT and UKCAT it doesnt reflect intelligence, and some people just do not do well in these types of tests.

I have scholarships, publications and a 1:1 from my undergrad degree in biochemistry and I have only scored a 53 in the GAMSAT. So i think to base someone capability of doing well in medicine on thier GAMSAT score is very naive and not accurate, there are always exceptions though!

I'm not being defensive towards you, i read your post. There are alot of posts on here though that seem to think that GAMSAT scores are a direct reflection of how well you will do, and it's just ridiculous someone could think that. GAMSAT is merely a formality to an entrance requirements to prevent masses of applications having to be processed.

I absolutely agree with this. I sat the gamsat in 2012, took a month off for full time study and got a 56. I was offered UL anyway. However I was doing accountancy exams so I said Id cancel the offer and take a year out as I didnt want to go straight from those exams to full blown gem study again. I also had it in my head to try and get Dublin for the reason that I didnt know about ULs facilities or what PBL entailed. So I reapplied for the gammy again. Anyway, in February I visited UL as I thought regardless of how I did in the 2013 sitting Id be offered UL again and I have to say I was very impressed by UL. Absolutely top class facilities, looked like a class university and I was very impressed with the way the woman sold the course to me.

So I sat the gamsat only cos I had it paid for! I was happy to take an offer in 2013 for UL so it was more a nuisance to have to do it, I did literally 2 hours study and felt no pressure in the exam itself. I was completely relaxed in the exam and slightly enjoyed it. I ended up getting 63!! Does this mean that I got more intelligent in a year? Does it mean that Im a better potential medical student than a year ago? It most certainly does not. It just means that the gamsat is an exam that you can do really well in if you've no pressure on you, if you can keep a clear head in the exam and if you know its not the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Does this mean that I got more intelligent in a year?

It just means that the gamsat is an exam that you can do really well in if you've no pressure on you.

It absolutely does mean you got more intelligent. Do you think theres no pressure on you when a dude arrests in fromt of you?
    Memories are stored along with emotions, smells images etc. Memories stored in a relaxed mood are generally not accessible from a flight/flight state of mind.

The lower the entrance score for gamsat, the more first year repeats there are. Co inky dinky? Dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Dr Nic wrote: »
    It absolutely does mean you got more intelligent. Do you think theres no pressure on you when a dude arrests in fromt of you?
    Memories are stored along with emotions, smells images etc. Memories stored in a relaxed mood are generally not accessible from a flight/flight state of mind.

The lower the entrance score for gamsat, the more first year repeats there are. Co inky dinky? Dont know

Sorry, but I havent a clue of the point you're trying to make here! Sorry, I think my brain is frazzled from the sunny day! :D

Dr Nic wrote: »

I didn't realise you had researched this. Did you find out the GAMSAT scores of all the people who had to repeat and correlate this with those who didn't have to repeat? I would love to see your work.

GAMSAT score has absolutely damn all to do with whether or not you have to repeat. Don't be so naive.

I think you'll find that there is no correlation between the GAMSAT scores and the amount of people that had to repeat the year!!!

A common theme with anyone that did have to repeat was that they didn't put in enough effort or work during the semesters. As the UL course is not taught didactically it's incredibly engaging and relatively easy to understand the material once you put the effort in yourself.

The GAMSAT score has absolutely nothing to do with how well you will get on. Your work ethic however, is directly related to your success.
    Do the GAMSAT, get enough to get in and be proud of yourself for the achievement but then leave the GAMSAT score behind you and just engage with the course.

I couldn't have said it better myself SmileyRK.

Ehhh, Lobu San???

Indeed it is :)

• Advertisement

So will you be joining me to the GoT exhibition then? :p

Advertisement