Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hi-res scans of slides

• 20-09-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭

I'm looking for the best place in Dublin to get hi-res scans of slides. My father-in-law has entrusted me to get some old family slides scanned, and I'd really like them to be hi-res scans for archival purposes.

All suggestions appreciated!

-Doug

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

depends on how many, if its a lot you would be better buying a scanner. Give Gunnes/Conns/Berminghams a ring to get a price per unit

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I asked last year in Fuji on abbey St how much and their price was 7 quid per image. This may have changed, it may not have. I didn't bother asking anywhere else...shock I suppose.

I've a scanner I don't use at the moment. I think it's a good one but've never used it. If you want to borrow it for a couple of weeks your more than welcome. Has all the leads and all and I think you can upload the correct software off the internet.

It's there if you want it. I think it'd be perfect if you've got a few to get through and have the time to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

if you want proper hires scans of 35mm then a flatbed scanner is not the way to go

you should look at rua red in tallaght, you can hire their scanner for very little and its a hassleblad x series virtual drum scanner

you will be able to produce far superior results to any of the shops in town using flatbeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

I checked with a irish company a while back (will dig out details if you like) and was quoted 85 cent per slide.

From looking at UK online price fair bit of variation (25p-85p and upwards depending on resolution).

If you are doing it yourself the Plustek 7600i 35mm film scanner is meant to be good for the price (comes in a SE or AI version, AI has scanning targets for Kodachrome which might be useful). Slow process at about 4 minutes per slide, so depends on how many slides you have to scan.

Epson Perfection V model flat bed scanners will be quicker, as can scan multiple slides, but quality is not quite as good.

Otherwise you are looking at second hand Nikon Coolscan V etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

stcstc wrote: »
    you should look at rua red in tallaght, you can hire their scanner for very little and its a hassleblad x series virtual drum scanner
    when you say hire, i assume you mean use it on the premises rather than taking it home with you?

• Advertisement

oh yea

its a 20K scanner they aint gonna let you out the door with it

he he

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

stcstc wrote: »
    oh yea

its a 20K scanner they aint gonna let you out the door with it

he he

Do they let anybody use it, or do you need to know a secret handshake?

as far as i am aware anyone can use it

sineadw is the one to talk to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Yep, just go there, register, pay the membership fee (funny amount), and follow their advice. When I eventually get a lens for my new camera, I'll be there on regular basis. Although I didn't want to, going back to film :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm only getting a chance to catch up on the thread now after a crazy day in work.

I just had a look at the Rua Red website, and I have to say, the facilities there look fantastic. According to the website, they don't even charge for use of the scanners. All that's required is a €5 membership. You can't beat that!

I have no interest in shooting film at the moment, but I think I might dig out my film archive and scan them all in. It would be interesting to go through negatives from 20 years ago and see if there's anything good from my early forays into photography.

-Doug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

It's 2.50 an hour to use the multimedia lab in Rua Red. Just be aware that a large amount of scans will take a while - beautiful and all as the hasselblad scanner is (and it iiiiiiiis) it's not exactly the fastest thing on earth.

I'm getting three rolls of sensia back that i'm gonna try scanning on the (free) flatbed scanners in college next week. I'll post up the results and give you a shout if you haven't got anything sorted by then. At least you'll be able to see how good/bad the flatbed stuff is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm gonna have to make use of that hasselblad - when you say slow, one scan every three minutes, for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

At the highest res, yeah. Mind you i've never timed it. It could be longer. And hi res is sh!te high.

sineadw wrote: »
    It's 2.50 an hour to use the multimedia lab in Rua Red. Just be aware that a large amount of scans will take a while - beautiful and all as the hasselblad scanner is (and it iiiiiiiis) it's not exactly the fastest thing on earth.
    since my coolscan seems to have crapped out on me, i will have to more seriously examine this option. when you say slow, are you talking 10,20 scans per hour on 35mm?

Advertisement