Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bottom bracket trek 1.2

• 20-09-2010 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭

Hi there bottom bracket on my 2009 1.2 is making a horrible sound.
    Anyways would anyone hazard a guess at the size?.. I won't get a chance to pop it out till later in the week so if I knew the size at least I could order one in the meantime.
    Cheers,
    Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭martyc5674

It's a 68 i found out which is about the width of it alright.
    What is the second measurement though??
    (ok that's two questions. What is it and what does it mean??)
    Cheers,
    Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

I replaced the bottom bracket on my Trek 1000 a few months ago . The Trek 1000 is the earlier model of the Trek 1.2 . I replaced it with this bottom bracket http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17473.

I suspect yours would be the same , has it square tapers on the end ?? The second dimension you ask about is the 110mm or the 115mm or the 118mm etc that is specified on model . It is the overall width of the bracket ( squared tapered end on one side to squared taper end on other side ) . Personally I would remove the old bracket and measure accurately instead of guessing and taking a chance before ordering .

Cheers Deisetrek,
    That makes sense...yeah it has the square tapered ends...i think i have an opportunity tonight afterall to pop it off...its only a 10 minute job so ill heed your advice and wait till its out.
    Strange that it went this eary...bike hasnt even a 1000miles up on it.

But if anyone else happens to know whicjh one it is sure send it on and i can order it.
    Cheers,
    Marty.

Well Marty ,

That's very low milage for a bottom bracket to perish , are you sure it's not some other part of the drivetrain making the noise ? I had about 7000 -8000 miles up on my Trek before I started getting trouble . My front chainrings had a noticable wobble which told me the bearings were knackered .

Heya,
    Im pretty sure it is the BB...ive checked over everything...nothings loose and it only clicks/knocks when i put on a bit of power.
    It MAY be a pedal but i really dont think so.
    It aint the chain/derailers etc (i was convinced for a while it was the zips on my tracksuit bottoms hitting the cranks occassionally but not the case)

If you google Trek 1.2 bottom bracket there seems to be a few early failures out there.
    Marty.

• Advertisement

Just replying to my own post if anyone else looking for this info.
    The bb is 110.5 and 68 so I ordered a 110 on crc.
    It's def the bb. Makes a cracking sound in spots when it's rotated on your hand.
    The one that's in it is labeled RPM.
    Marty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

My trek headset started making the wrong sound after 100 miles - new shape madone. BB followed suit at 500 miles. Not good enough.

Maybe trek are skimping on the grease in the factory...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Hollowtech BB on my 2.1 crapped out after 6000km, which I consider to be quite low. When I removed it there was plenty of water in the bottom bracket, but I have seen that before on other bikes. Perhaps there's a design flaw in the Trek frame that drives water into the bottom bracket? A sealed tapered BB can't really be installed "wrong" except if you cross-thread it, so its only enemy really is excessive water getting in.

My trek headset started making the wrong sound after 100 miles - new shape madone. BB followed suit at 500 miles. Not good enough.

Maybe trek are skimping on the grease in the factory...

Beat this ?? Trek 1000 3 years old , 3 Sram cassettes, 4 or 5 chains , both front chainrings ( pointed teeth) , Bontrager wheels replaced ( rear Shimano hub failure ) , headset ( bearing cages went to bits ) and bottom bracket . Oh! almost forgot , Bontrager crank arm ( non-drive side ) snapped off just above the threaded pedal insert climbing a hill . :D Maybe you're right Trek are skrimping on quality........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Deisetrek wrote: »
    Beat this ?? Trek 1000 3 years old , 3 Sram cassettes, 4 or 5 chains , both front chainrings ( pointed teeth) , Bontrager wheels replaced ( rear Shimano hub failure ) , headset ( bearing cages went to bits ) and bottom bracket . Oh! almost forgot , Bontrager crank arm ( non-drive side ) snapped off just above the threaded pedal insert climbing a hill . :D Maybe you're right Trek are skrimping on quality........

Holy breaking bike batman...........Are you using it for mountain biking?

• Advertisement
Advertisement