Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People's thoughts on visiting Czech Ranges

Options
  • 20-09-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

I don't think this was covered; I picked up an old [Saturday] copy of that great source of unbiased information The Star tonight. Anyway the article was making a drama about Irish people using Czech ranges. The usual stuff calling them "killer schools", "learning to kill in only two hours for just 150e".

Gay Mitchell is hoping to develop a system whereby if an Irish citizen who makes use of a range over there, the Gardai would be informed of this. This would happen as you have to show your passport to use a range. So far he has had a number of talks with the Czech ambassador.

Anyway, what do you guys think of this, I started to use these facilities back in 2004, before the media started to publicise the opportunities to access a range in a country which is not anti-gun.

I'm sure the red tops supplied some criminals with information as to the possibility of learning about firearms over there. I have used them myself a few times, and if I was over there again I would take advantage of the opportunity.

Whilst I'm sure some criminals have used these facilities over the years, this type of writing informs everybody of those facilities. I did not own any firearms when I used those ranges and to be honest I learned a lot about safety whilst I was being instructed. I also never noted anybody suspicious whilst I was using the facilities.

Whilst none of us want the unwanted associations between our sport and criminality, I am against the Gardai being informed if I use a range in another country. How do you guys feel about it?

Sorry I'm a few days behind with the papers, but that's the story of my life:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Odysseus wrote: »
    I don't think this was covered; I picked up an old [Saturday] copy of that great source of unbiased information The Star tonight. Anyway the article was making a drama about Irish people using Czech ranges. The usual stuff calling them "killer schools", "learning to kill in only two hours for just 150e".

Gay Mitchell is hoping to develop a system whereby if an Irish citizen who makes use of a range over there, the Gardai would be informed of this. This would happen as you have to show your passport to use a range. So far he has had a number of talks with the Czech ambassador.

Anyway, what do you guys think of this, I started to use these facilities back in 2004, before the media started to publicise the opportunities to access a range in a country which is not anti-gun.

I'm sure the red tops supplied some criminals with information as to the possibility of learning about firearms over there. I have used them myself a few times, and if I was over there again I would take advantage of the opportunity.

Whilst I'm sure some criminals have used these facilities over the years, this type of writing informs everybody of those facilities. I did not own any firearms when I used those ranges and to be honest I learned a lot about safety whilst I was being instructed. I also never noted anybody suspicious whilst I was using the facilities.

Whilst none of us want the unwanted associations between our sport and criminality, I am against the Gardai being informed if I use a range in another country. How do you guys feel about it?

Ha Gay Mitchel when did he wake up, another whinger with nothing constructive to say, looking for another gripe to start another media flurry, dont worry about him, when you think of the paper (star) he reads you can see the patethic brain he is using. FOOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Odysseus wrote: »

Unfortunately, because of what was happening at these ranges and the press coverage I wouldnt even think of using them, Maybe I am an uppity snob,:rolleyes: but i would be scared of getting tarred with the same brush.

You try explain to crime and security section of the Gardai that you were there to shoot for fun and the other 5 beside you may have been criminals and they may have been chatting to you and I know we got photographed together etc etc. A bit Orwellian I know but I just wouldnt fancy having to explain.

Is there not a different country that doesnt have such a reputation that you could go to like Finland, or Switzerland or even France that doesnt have the stigma associated with it dating back to the 80s', such as semtex, gun running:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Hm. Whenever I've gone to Finland, it's been czech shooters I've been trained by/with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    Hm. Whenever I've gone to Finland, it's been czech shooters I've been trained by/with...
    Seems they don't want to train at home either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Some of the best shooting competitions in Europe are held in the Czech Republic.

They have some fantastic ranges.

Look at what political waffling, walter mitties and the rumour mill did to the shooting sports here - take anything you hear from the same peddlers with a shovel full of salt.

An earlier poster made the relevant point to your question though - if you are attending a range alongside some people of interest to the authorities you may also become of interest to the authorities.

I would suggest that you get a license from the Gardai and a European Firearms pass - then go ahead and attend whatever ranges you want - wherever you want - then what do you have to fear - as you have expressed your interest in target shooting and you have been ...... target shooting.

Better yet - get involved in competitive target shooting and whenever you happen to be abroad, try to find a competition.

B'Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

TBH,You are going to learn sweet FA in a couple of hours blazing downrange with an AK,etc on full auto,and spending a fortune in ammo[where these ranges make beaucoup euros].They are not going to teach you any "combat tactics" on a boozy stag weekend thrill.. You will learn more on tactics and on by going off and playing a good version of Medal of Honour or US Navy SOCOM!! Feck it!! The US Marines use one type of old Playstation 1 shooting game as a training aid to teach recruits about lag and lead.
    This is just another red top rag and politican on the make scare story.

As for been seen on the range with possibly known heads...So what???
    Does that mean if you are seen in a certain pub in Marbella port and there are other well known heads sitting beside you in the bar that there is an association as well??You might be mistaken for a millionare property developer if you are playing a round of golf up in Marbella and Seanie Fitzpatrick asks if he can play through???Would you even know every underworld figure major or minor from Dublin/Limerick,Cork or their associates???Not to mind photography is as much mostly taboo on ranges over there as it is here...How sombody will take pics of you arm in arm with Gussie O'Scumbag posing with an AK would be intresting...:rolleyes:

As for these being "killer schools " and other BS. One well known Limerick criminal went to Florida to learn all about shooting skills and bodygaurding etc a few years ago.There is a famous pic of him posing with a 44 magnum on the range..It mustnt have been a very good course.As he was shot dead six weeks later in Limerick!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think we've just about answered the OP's question as fully as possible, so closing this now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement