Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yann Tiersen in the village

Options
  • 20-09-2010 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

So Yann's playing the village and i was wondering, is there an age restriction to attend? Me and 2 of my friends, we're all 16 absolutely adore yann and will do anything to go to this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

All gigs in the Village are over 18's as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 yannfann

:'( so do you know if it's strictly 18s or could you Get in with an adult or something?

It's an over-18's only venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

It's a bit unfair, really - a younger sister of mine (17) got turned away from a gig recently, even though she's probably more level-headed and responsible than I am. She's a big music fan - with fantastic taste might I add - but finds that every single artist she wants to see is age restricted.

Without a fake ID, it must be so frustrating to not be allowed to see your favourite artist perform, simply because they chose to play in a venue which serves alcohol. I mean, the under 18's listen to music too, right? I suppose we can just cart them all off to the Wezz :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

It's completely fair. It's a venue serving alcohol. Thus it's over 18's.

All these die-hard music fans can wait like everyone else had to.

• Advertisement

Can't really fathom how you think its 'completely fair'; that someone shouldnt be allowed to enjoy some live music because they happen to be of an age that doesnt legally permit the consumption of alcohol.

I never had to wait; when I was younger, a lot of venues utilised a stamp system, where those over 18 were the only people being served alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In fairness it's a bar. The fact that they have a live performance is secondary to that fact. Plus, if they started allowing the underage in, it opens all sorts of legal problems in the future. It's sh*tty if you're missing out because of it, but you can't blame the venue for that.

Fair enough. Its not The Village, or any venue really, that I have a problem with. Its just the fact that the vast majority of gigs are taking place in licensed premises, excluding a large proportion of underage music fans. Particularly for an artist like Yann Tiersen.. is alcohol really neccessary?!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, it's a shame really. A friend of mine tried to get funding to create an alcohol free venue, but it just wasn't viable and nobody wanted anything to do with it. Most places don't get a huge amount from ticket sales, so alcohol is the way to turn a profit.

There are still lots of big gigs that aren't over-18's only so it's not like teenagers are not getting to see any live music at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 yannfann

There are still lots of big gigs that aren't over-18's only so it's not like teenagers are not getting to see any live music at all.

yeah but still, they're mostly shows like gaga, pink, muse, and the like, and it just seems unfair that the one time someone i would genuinely love to see live comes to Ireland all three of his venues are 18+ only, its as if they're encouraging fake ids......

yannfann wrote: »
    yeah but still, they're mostly shows like gaga, pink, muse, and the like, and it just seems unfair that the one time someone i would genuinely love to see live comes to Ireland all three of his venues are 18+ only, its as if they're encouraging fake ids......

No it's not.

They're not targeting teenage audiences I'm afraid. You just have taste that's a bit more mature than a lot of your peer group. If there was a high demand for an underage Yann Tiersen show then some promoter would be on it I'd say.

And to be fair there are sometimes underage afternoon shows in Whelan's on Saturdays.

Count yourself lucky you didn't grow up in a small town in Mayo where there were no gigs worth going to whatsoever. First gig I went to was REM in Slane when I was nearly 16. And I think I was 18 before I got to go to another gig after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

The sound in The Village is so god awful you are being saved wasting your money on the gig. I would certainly be interested in seeing Yann Tiersen but there are very few gigs I would go to in The Village after previous experiences there. So in a way we are all missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Well the sound was indeed terrible, but it wouldn't have made a huge difference if it had been fantastic, because the music was just crap overall.
    I missed a little bit of the beginning, but he didn't seem to play any older material, and it was basically a standard rock band setup. Honestly one of the songs reminded me of Snow Patrol.
    Waste of time/money. :(

Advertisement