Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the cheapest place to buy diesel?

Options
  • 20-09-2010 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Where is the cheapest place to buy diesel in Galway?
    Please give location and price per litre.
    So far the cheapest place I have found is Corrib Oil, Tuam Road.
    I filled up with diesel at 121.9/litre.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Howleys in Gort are 1.18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    Howleys in Gort are 1.18

Thank you for the tip.
    I will fill up there next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

You'll drive all the way to gort to save around a euro . and thats if you fill it up. when my light comes on i just stop not going to worry about it for the sake of a euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Dr McManus

You'll drive all the way to gort to save around a euro . and thats if you fill it up. when my light comes on i just stop not going to worry about it for the sake of a euro

My Range Rover has a 120 litre tank.
    If I fill up at Topaz at 126.9/litre that's 152.28 Euro per tank.
    If I fill up at Howleys at 118/litre that's 141.60 Euro per tank.
    So I will be saving 10.68 Euro every time I fill up.
    A significant saving, therefore worth driving to Gort.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Personally, I'd avoid Howley's but that's a personal choice. I'm not fond of independent stations that have diesel at a price that's well below others, there was the dispute he had recently with the concrete contractor on the M18 as well.

Assuming your Range Rover does an optimistic 25mpg with a light foot, and you're rocking into Gort with it completely empty, if you're coming from town you'd need the diesel to be 4c cheaper and have no value on your own time.

Mind you, a Range Rover is probably the best vehicle for the ploughed streets of Grot. Or a Unimog...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Robbo wrote: »
    I'm not fond of independent stations that have diesel at a price that's well below others
    Out of curiosity, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 KingJo

There is a garage on the Headford Rd which is very cheap. not sure of exact prices but they are definitely cheaper than most. It is just after that castle in Ballindooley

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Xiney wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why?

I`m guessing he means they could be green , and not to the enviroment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Out of curiosity, why?

There was a place to remain un-named outside of Galway. (Not Howleys) At one time they claimed to be the cheapest in Ireland and the UK. The owner since sold up and moved on. The stuff he was calling diesel ended up damaging engines and he was found out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Out of curiosity, why?
    The strong possibility of washed Republican Brand diesel from the oilfields of South Armagh and it's potential to destroy a common rail diesel engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

They say nearly 15% of all diesel sold in Ireland is washed and it is bad for your engines in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Pumps.ie says the one on the Headford road is at €119.9 per litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Robbo wrote: »
    The strong possibility of washed Republican Brand diesel from the oilfields of South Armagh and it's potential to destroy a common rail diesel engine.

Ahhh.

Ok that clears that up - as you can probably tell I drive a petrol car and never even thought of the possibility of green or "washed" green diesel.

Advertisement