Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citylink cancel Shannon bus

Options
  • 20-09-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Yup

No more shannon bus from citylink

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

That 10euro visitor tax is still paying off i see.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

http://www.citylink.ie/serviceupdates.php
    Not exactly on their front page.... but it looks official alrite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Cessation of Galway-Shannon-Galway service
    Due to the downturn in the tourism sector and the decreased number of passengers using Shannon Airport.
    Irish Citylink will cease operating services on the Galway-Shannon-Galway route from 12th September 2010.
    All passengers with pre booked tickets will be fully refunded, any concerns or details please contact Brian Lenihan

mikom wrote: »
    Cessation of Galway-Shannon-Galway service
    Due to the downturn in the tourism sector and the decreased number of passengers using Shannon Airport.
    Irish Citylink will cease operating services on the Galway-Shannon-Galway route from 12th September 2010.
    All passengers with pre booked tickets will be fully refunded, any concerns or details please contact Brian Lenihan

Hardly think its Brians fault that citylink ran an overpriced service to Shannon.

If its anyone's fault its the DAA for making Shannon too costly for Ryanair.

• Advertisement

Hardly think its Brians fault that citylink ran an overpriced service to Shannon.

If its anyone's fault its the DAA for making Shannon too costly for Ryanair.

In the two years since the Govt introduced a €10 tourist tax and ordered over 50% increases in DAA airport fees, traffic at the three main Irish airports (Dublin, Cork and Shannon) has plunged by 33% from over 30m to just 20m passengers. Ireland has lost 10m air passengers, over 10,000 jobs in airport and related services, and over €1 billion of lost tourism and visitor spend annually.

Michael O’Learys words.
    Take them with the usual pinch of salt........ but he's got a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

i hardly think it was to expensive . how much would you like the tickets . its different for Bus Eireann as they are subsidised.

i hardly think it was to expensive . how much would you like the tickets . its different for Bus Eireann as they are subsidised.

Considering it was cheaper to go to Dublin Airport, I felt it was overpriced. Especially when you consider that going to dublin airport involved 3 tolls and paying to use the bus park at the airport, but Shannon is only an hour away with no tolls. Doubt there is a charge for buses to use shannon either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My thoughts on the matter in a previous thread.

I blame the western rail corridor.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Citylink did offer €1 on buses to Shannon depending on how far in advanced you booked it.
    I would'nt call that overpriced.

A well-known bus-obsessed contributer recommended I spend the night criss-crossing the country from sea to sea and back to shining sea just to catch a morning flight from Shannon. Not impressed :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

mikom wrote: »
    In the two years since the Govt introduced a €10 tourist tax and ordered over 50% increases in DAA airport fees, traffic at the three main Irish airports (Dublin, Cork and Shannon) has plunged by 33% from over 30m to just 20m passengers. Ireland has lost 10m air passengers, over 10,000 jobs in airport and related services, and over €1 billion of lost tourism and visitor spend annually.

Michael O’Learys words.
    Take them with the usual pinch of salt........ but he's got a point.

...huh.

you posted a real post. you should consider doing so more often.

Xiney wrote: »
    ...huh.

you posted a real post. you should consider doing so more often.

We're dictating what are real posts now?

Thank you.... postmaster general.

snubbleste wrote: »
    A well-known bus-obsessed contributer recommended I spend the night criss-crossing the country from sea to sea and back to shining sea just to catch a morning flight from Shannon. Not impressed :cool:

Ahh sure'n I never said it was a good idea. Just that it's the only option apart from spending the night in the terminal.

:D

Personally, I'd just fly from Dublin or Cork.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Citylink did offer €1 on buses to Shannon depending on how far in advanced you booked it.
    I would'nt call that overpriced.

They offered a limited number of seats for 1euro (it didn't matter how far in advance you booked, once those seat were gone they were gone), but otherwise the seat price was ~17euro, whether or not that's overpriced is down to the individual paying :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Butlerowski

I've been trying to convince them to bring back the night buses, which were pretty busy.
    The 2200 from Galway was rarely jammed but always had a few on. But the 0330 !! the Oranmore Clarinbridge Kilcolgan Gort Crusheen Party Bus was surely making a fortune. The 0045 from Shannon used to get a good few aswell around Gort and Crusheen, and Shannon!!
    I'm really feeling the lack of this service as I work shifts. Now I have no early morning bus to work on Sundays, and less during the week and no late buses home. I live 2 hr 45 minutes walk from Galway, I timed it, hadn't €20 for cab!!

I live 2 hr 45 minutes walk from Galway, I timed it, hadn't €20 for cab!!

2hrs 45 minutes from galway? In Kerry? Clonmel (via Limerick) takes about 2.45 from galway.

Does the Cork/Limerick Citylink stop in Gort& Crusheen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

2hrs 45 minutes from galway? In Kerry? Clonmel (via Limerick) takes about 2.45 from galway.
    WALKING!!!

WALKING!!!

I'm sorry, my brain isn't working properly. you did indeed say walking. My brain decided that walking 2.45 hrs was unrealistic, so I just ignored the work "walk".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I've been trying to convince them to bring back the night buses, which were pretty busy.
    The 2200 from Galway was rarely jammed but always had a few on. But the 0330 !! the Oranmore Clarinbridge Kilcolgan Gort Crusheen Party Bus was surely making a fortune. The 0045 from Shannon used to get a good few aswell around Gort and Crusheen, and Shannon!!
    I'm really feeling the lack of this service as I work shifts. Now I have no early morning bus to work on Sundays, and less during the week and no late buses home. I live 2 hr 45 minutes walk from Galway, I timed it, hadn't €20 for cab!!
    Also seriously missing the 03:30. It was pretty much always busy, especially at weekends. Even though the fares were sky-high in the past few months after the increases, it was still better than having to get taxis/cabs. *sigh* It's a pity there's nothing, even from Bus Éireann, going in that direction after 20:05.

• Advertisement

Does the Cork/Limerick Citylink stop in Gort& Crusheen?[/QUOTE]
    Yes but with a very limited timetable(approx every 2 hours), first bus into Galway from home is 1155 and last from Galway is 1830, not really much scope for a day return on a working day! The Shannon bus filled the gaps a bit, but well....

Good stuff - it's great when people actually give feedback like this, rather than just moaning.

I have a suspicion that a night bus up Monivea Rd and down the length of Doughiska Rd and out to Oranmore via the Coast Rd, dropping off at all the city-bus-stops along the way would also make a killing. (No market research behind that, just a hunch based on how full the regular No 9 bus is pretty much all the time, and the demographics of people who live out that way.)

Fingers crossed that you're successful.

There are supposed to be significant changes in route licensing laws over the next year or so, in particular these should impact on Bus Éireann's monopoly and open the market a bit. The good old E.U are forcing some changes through. Irelands laws regarding public transport are at least as old as the Irish Free State!
    Despite the recent misery... (with Citylink:Shannon being cancelled, Bus Éireann:X20 halving Oranmore's hourly service to Dublin and significantly reducing their services to Galway, and Farrells(I used to get them to Oranmore roundabout for €2) almost exclusively using the motorway to Athenry.....).....there is some hope on the horizon.

Advertisement