Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ISP is the most consistently reliable?

• 21-09-2010 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

I'm on 8MB NGB with Eircom yet I can't remember a time ever hitting above 4MBs. But the really annoying is the odd occasion when it just cuts out completely for no reason. Some days it could be gone for 5 minutes, then we'd have weeks of no hassle and then gets knocked out for hours on the trot.

Now the thing is I got a new job that requires a constantly working connection 100% of the time. So much so that even a cut of 60-90 seconds while I'm working would create a fair bit of hassle.

Obviously switching to an ISP that actually gives me the speeds I'm paying for would be good, but my no. 1 priority here is just good old reliability. I know no ISP would absolutely guarantee you no random cuts from time to time but are some better than others?

It looks like from reading here that a lot of people have switched to UPC given their new speeds recently, but have they got the consistency to go with it? Or should I look at other options?

I'm in the Waterford City area btw.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If you can get UPC, then overall it's probably the best. Generally it's very reliable, and I've heard good things about it in Waterford. You can't really beat the price either.

Runner up (for reliability) is probably Digiweb Metro.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Magnet and Smart LLU is available throught both the Waterford central and the Tycor exchange.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you checked your line stats? Dropouts can be a sign of low snr.

Advertisement