Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salt town

Options
  • 21-09-2010 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice youngest is starting in DKIT looking to stay in Dundalk but not in the usual student areas.
    What is the salt town area like and how far is it from the campus???
    His mother is worried that her baby will get wet walking to collage I am not of the same view.. but is there public transport to the campus??
    How far from the usual shopping centre etc ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

meolwan wrote: »
    Looking for some advice youngest is starting in DKIT looking to stay in Dundalk but not in the usual student areas.

What is the salt town area like and how far is it from the campus???
    dont know the area to well but it is across town from the campus,probaly 3 miles
    His mother is worried that her baby will get wet walking to collage I am not of the same view.. but is there public transport to the campus??
    There is public transport to the campus from the town centre and public transport from the Saltown area to the town centre so there shouldnt be a problem matching the times to suit.
    How far from the usual shopping centre etc ...
    just the usual local shops but there is a Dunnes within walking distance

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Is he looking for a room to rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

wouldn't reccommend salt town for students. especially with no car.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Salt town is about 3 mile from the DKIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

I agree with bigneacy, wouldnt recommend it unless he gets himself some transport. Could be wrong, but he'd have to get a bus from salt-town to the town centre and then another bus from town centre to DKIT.

Salt-town is probably 20 minute walk to town centre (depending on how fast you walk that is :D:D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

I wouldnt recommend Saltown for a student, whatever benefit in cheap rent will be eaten up by the hassle of getting from there to the college every day, its too far away from DKIT, plenty of other areas inbetween that arent over run with students, just avoid Rockfield, college heights etc

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

Thanks folks for all the useful advice will sit down with son and dicuss his options.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Saltown?

I was born in Dundalk, and apart from education years have lived in Dundalk all my life.

Where the hell is Saltown?

I've never heard of it.

Saltown?

I was born in Dundalk, and apart from education years have lived in Dundalk all my life.

Where the hell is Saltown?

I've never heard of it.

Just there at bellewsbridge road.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Gerry.L wrote: »
    Just there at bellewsbridge road.....

Yup,between Fagans pub and Fatima

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I agree with earlier posts. What about Glenwood, Across from hospital and seems to be quiet now compared with years ago. Only 5 mins walk to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Why Saltown anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭chrabo

i was living there, its worst place ever but i'm not student. I think look around glenwood, college manor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Yup,between Fagans pub and Fatima

Ah, it's that new estate, is it?
    Didn't know what it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

It where your man got shot

Alot of people get shot in Dundalk, its not just saltown area :D

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

That could be loads of places in Dundalk!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭cerebis

one of my mates is a student and lives there this year.... no issues so far...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Folks, can we keep the 'noise' to a minimum please.

Advertisement