Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much would my meds cost?

Options
  • 21-09-2010 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭

I the healthcare system was to collapse tomorrow, how much would the cost of being a T1 diabetic?
    I've been getting everything for free, and only after a post on the economics forum have I final thought about the cost of my upkeep to the state.
    How much would a box of Levimir cost in the pharmacy? Would the prices be much different to those in other countries? (non-prescription drugs certainly are).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

If the Long Term Illness Scheme and free public health was cancelled tomorrow - I'd be broke!!!! I would get into serious debt.

In America, people with diabetes have to pay for everything and some just don't take their insulin because they can't afford it.

I know we are costing the state a lot of money but the HSE is sqaundering money treating complications of diabetes rather than preventing. See the link below for details on how much money the HSE is wasting.

http://www.diabetesaction.ie/news/2010/09/diabetes-action-calls-for-national-strategy-following-spend-of-239-mil/8

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I was charged just over $400 NZD for a box of Lantus and Humalog in Queenstown last year. I think they were supposed to be discounted, but not sure that it was at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 airlie

Hi kowloon

A box of 5 levemir flexpens was approx 35 euro last time I checked the MIMS (monthly index of medical specialities) book. Same for Novorapid but I think lantus is more expensive, 50 euro I think for 5 pens. The test strips are approx a euro a strip. Don't know about other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

A euro a strip :eek:. I'm going to start washing them for reuse :D.
    I expected the insulin itself to be pricey, but not the strips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

We had better start praying the IMF dont come to visit so. Hate to calculate what my novorapid lantus strips glucagon diovan and lipitor would cost. and thats outside meds for arthritis. I dont think i would be allowed to be cremated as the damage to the environment would be worse than chernobyl:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭graflynn

A 50c per item prescription charge doesn't seem so bad now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

average of around 270 euro a month, taking into account some months you would need a box of needles or a box of lancets.

so just for insulin and testing strips €270.

also i read in the jdrf that kids in Africa who get type 1 only have an 8 month life expectancy after being diagnosed.

I have got my tablets and insulin for the last few months and wasnt charged anything. Is it just me? Or should i call in and fess up:D. My endocrinologist says that diabetics wouldnt be charged but seems some are? Whats the story with that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No need to fess up to anything, you are supposed to be getting your diabetes meds for free.

We are just curious about the costs of staying alive if we didn't get them for free.

Live forever or die trying:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

5live wrote: »
    We had better start praying the IMF dont come to visit so. Hate to calculate what my novorapid lantus strips glucagon diovan and lipitor would cost. and thats outside meds for arthritis. I dont think i would be allowed to be cremated as the damage to the environment would be worse than chernobyl:D

It was actually a thread on the IMF that got me thinking about this, not that I think the healthcare system will disappear, but the thread did make me question how reliant many are on all the free stuff.

Advertisement