Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are some anime's dubbed and others not?

Options
  • 21-09-2010 5:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

Why cant all anime have english dubs? Im getting really tired of having to read the text at the bottom instead of watching the screen. Of course the proper answer would be to learn Japanese but that would be v hard i would imagine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭popzmaster

Usually because producers think there would be no market for a particular show outside japan...personally tho i prefer watching anime in jap altho it wopuld be better if i learned the language cos watching a fansub i suppose you just have to trust that the translator knows their **** ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

Subbing is done by a group of 4 guys for free online.
    Dubbing is done by a group of 50 people for muchos moolah.

Simplez :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭Rawr

hello932 wrote: »
    Why cant all anime have english dubs? Im getting really tired of having to read the text at the bottom instead of watching the screen. Of course the proper answer would be to learn Japanese but that would be v hard i would imagine.

You don't really have to learn Japan-speak to really appreciate a good Anime, but that said I can understand why some may find subtitle reading to be tedious.

You'll find a lot of Anime fans will insist on seeing the original dub of the shows they see...mostly due to the unfortunate practice of some re-distributors (such as 4Kids) who totally butcher the original script (and even plot sometimes) for the sake of localisation. Thus shows sub-titled with Japanese have a market here in the west.

That said, some English dubbing has been done extremely well. Two examples off the top of my head are Evangelion and Nadesico. Both of which I actually prefer the English dubs than the Japanese! I feel that the acting in both dubs to be above par, and far more interesting than what the original Seiyu had to offer. (Yes I know, it's an abomination to say such things, but that's how I feel :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I for one can't understand how people can watched dubbed shows.
    It's easier to listen to English voices while watching the screen, but so much of the hidden stuff and jokes get lost, plus Japanese people tend to be much more in touch with the character they are providing speech for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I for one can't understand how people can watched dubbed shows.
    It's easier to listen to English voices while watching the screen, but so much of the hidden stuff and jokes get lost, plus Japanese people tend to be much more in touch with the character they are providing speech for.

Any show that's set outside of Japan is usually much better in English as for one the names aren't turned into engrish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 alex4u

agree i also love to watch animes in english rather than reading subtitles

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Varik wrote: »
    Any show that's set outside of Japan is usually much better in English as for one the names aren't turned into engrish.

Wait... what ?
    So just because they use Western names (Which they can not really pronounce that easily) it's worse in Japanese ?

I care much more about the subtleties in the Japanese versions, the jokes, references to Japanese culture,...
    All that is lost in dubbed versions.

Hell, One Piece even started using the Japanese words for attacks in the subs, yay for that :pac:

But hey, des gouts et des couleurs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

OP - Because the sales don't justify it.
    If the DVDs with dubs (and subs) were as popular as the downloaded subs then there'd be a much bigger barrell of money for companies to pay to localise and dub shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Wait... what ?
    So just because they use Western names (Which they can not really pronounce that easily) it's worse in Japanese ?

I care much more about the subtleties in the Japanese versions, the jokes, references to Japanese culture,...
    All that is lost in dubbed versions.

Hell, One Piece even started using the Japanese words for attacks in the subs, yay for that :pac:

But hey, des gouts et des couleurs :)
    Japanese words in dubs and subs bother me. A lot.

If you're subtitling it in English subtitle all of it. Don't leave random words in Japanese because you think it sounds cooler or more "Authentic."

And sometimes Japanese jokes and references don't translate. We're not Japanese, we have to live with that.

I watch a lot of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, I've just gotten used to missing out on half the references.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

And sometimes Japanese jokes and references don't translate. We're not Japanese, we have to live with that.

How else am I going to improve my speed reading without a quarter of the screen taken up with an explanation about some saying??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm trying to go through the Gurren Lagann dub, and it's painful.
    I never realised how silly "Simon" is for a name when pronounced as "See-mohn".

That said, I don't think I could watch any 90s shows (like Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, etc) without the awesome dubbing work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 vincomgo

alex4u wrote: »
    agree i also love to watch animes in english rather than reading subtitles
    yeah I think so..Real voice is always impressive than^^

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

"Real voice".

Look, I know Japanese studios have been experimenting with Vocaloid a bit much lately, but COME ON!

;)

Advertisement