Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Stigmata on TV.

• 21-09-2010 8:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭

This, from Fox News in LA, should get some interest. Try to watch all three video clips before commenting.

http://youshallbelieve.com/?page_id=70

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

I know you said try to watch all 3 vids but, could you try to explain what there about
    other than the stigmata.
    Its a lot to have to watch (36 min) before giving an opinion.
    cheers........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Hi dvae. just watch one 10 min segment and then decide if you want to watch the rest. It's a documentary tv show from LA. one of those special news shows they have on regularly on various topics. It's not meant to be like something out of the National Enquirer.

it shows footage of stigmata forming and healing on a Bolivian lady who has the experience each year at Easter.

I think it's meant to satisfy those who say "I won't believe it till I see it". The reporter went to see for himself and brought his camera crew along. The reporter's credentials are good/mainstream, not overly religious. Not the lunatic fringe burn a koran a day type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭lionmqj

Hi georgieporgy.

The love Jesus has for each and everyone of us is something we all forget sometimes.
    The suffering he endured for us and the aloneness he felt in the garden of gethsemane.
    The weight of the whole world on Him.
    He was thinking of each and every one of us when heading up to Jerusalem.

Mark 10 : 32-34
    32They were on their way up to Jerusalem, with Jesus leading the way, and the disciples were astonished, while those who followed were afraid. Again he took the Twelve aside and told them what was going to happen to him. 33"We are going up to Jerusalem," he said, "and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and teachers of the law. They will condemn him to death and will hand him over to the Gentiles, 34who will mock him and spit on him, flog him and kill him. Three days later he will rise."

Jesus lead the way! We should always let Him lead the way.

I have been blessed by the three videos georgieporgy thanks.
    God bless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

What strikes me about all of this, is that they didn't bother simply focussing camera's on the hands and feet so that we could actually witness these wounds spring from nowhere.

Also, are there any biblical parallels that God/Jesus acted in such manner with his servants? Using similar means to deliver a message. It seems such behaviour does not relate to any gifts of spirit described by Paul etc. Any insight?

Jimi, The whole thing lasted many hours. The tv show being just 30 mins necessitated some editing. And they tried to show a bit of everything, wounds on the head, face, hands and feet. If the whole program focused just on one area for an extended period then a much longer tv show would be needed.

But I think you will find that the reporter has a lot of extra footage at home. You can contact him directly if you like.

You won't find Jesus giving stigmata to anyone while he was on earth because they would not have understood the signifigance seeing as he hadn't yet been crucified.

This link http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14294b.htm has a lot of useful info if you want to read up a bit more on the subject of stigmata .

Catholics (or anybody) do not have to believe in things like this. Some are convinced it is from God, others are not. It's like miracles in general, they can be useful to strengthen one's Faith so I guess that's why God performs them from time to time. But as far as the RCC goes, nobody is actually required to believe them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

is it correct to say that Padro Paeo (spelling?) faked his stigmata injuries?

That woman could earn 1,000,000 from James Randi if she undergoes stigmata injuries in his presence, with no trickery. If she doesn't want the money for herself she could donate it to sick children.

Personnally I don't believe it. I think it's a trick. The age of miracles is past it would appear. I saw a magican produce a tiger the other day, it looked very convincing.

its Padre Pio. You can google the name for more info.

As for miracles, I bet you believe the world created itself. Now there's a miracle!

Seriously though. I think if anybody wants to catch a flight down to Bolivia and see for themselves there is nothing to stop them.
    As for tempting the lady with a million bucks. Remember how Satan tempted Our Lord when he fasted 40 days in the desert? He offered him all the riches in the world if He would bow down before him. The offer was rejected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

its Padre Pio Seriously though. I think if anybody wants to catch a flight down to Bolivia and see for themselves there is nothing to stop them.

The problem is, that someone DID catch a plane to Bolivia and also brought a camera crew. Yet, he didn't show the wounds appearing from nowhere. The whole, 'It woud be hours of video' is incorrect. Have you ever seen those videos of a flower blooming? Its quite straight forward to speed up a video.

So I would say that I can dismiss what the camera shows, as it does not show the wounds appearing. However, I would not scoff just yet. I then have to see if there is evidence of this being a manifestation of the Holy Spirit. How do I do this? I ask, does it resemble any of the gifts of the spirit, and/or does it bear the fruits of the spirit. IMO, having looked at it, it fails on all accounts.

We must remember, that even if someone does something supernatural, that it STILL does not mean its Godly. As we are encouraged to do, we must 'test the spirits'.

Thanks for posting the video, but I would be dismissive of it.

If you google her name (Katya Rivas) you will find a good bit of internet chatter. Basically the reporter was a well respected but athiest australian.
    Katya has been married 3 times. She now lives in Mexico I think. The Fox video clip is old but now airing as new?? Maybe there is some fresh news driving it.

He has converted and is now supposed to be quite devout. This does not prove those particular stigmata to be real however.

My own feeling is ..... I don't know. I would be inclined to just wait for proof either way. Generally speaking, previous stigmatics tend not to draw attention to themselves (humility) unless ordered to do so by superiors. These days who can judge anything you see on tv?

It's important to remember that having the stigmata (if they are real) is no guarantee of holiness in itself. Prior to coming across this Fox News video clip I had never heard of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

It's strange that when people receive the stigmata, they always receive it through the palms, even though if a crucified person was nailed to the cross (most were tied to it) the spikes would be through their wrists, as the hands aren't strong enough and would have torn.

• Advertisement

I think the nail went in through the heel (fatty part) of the palm and out through the wrist at the back. It would go through a solid bunch of bones and a nerve plexus (added pain).

various stigmatics down through the ages have had such wounds in different parts of the hand. So we are to presume that these things are symbolic more than scientific. They were suited to the knowledge people had at the time.

Some had visible stigmata (present all the time for years), others just occasionally like at Easter ) which disappeared at death. But I know of at least one (St Catherine of Siena I think) that had the pain of stigmata but they were invisible while she lived and became visible at her death.

Two recent stigmatics that were subjected to strenous medical observation (recorded) are Anne Catherine Emmerich (1774-1824) and Teresa Newman (1898-1962).

Advertisement