Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling question - sort of

• 21-09-2010 8:59am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

i just got my bathroom fully tiled and i want to put up my shower curtain.

i am not comfortable drilling holes into the tiles.

what is the best adhesive to stick the shower curtain rail to the wall?

the stuff we used for sticking the shower rail up doesnt seem to work :(

thanks

ib

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

There isn't really anything that will hold up the shower curtain properly, unless you use TEC 7. Can you drill into the grout lines to do it instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,765 ✭✭✭SteM

irishbird wrote: »
    i just got my bathroom fully tiled and i want to put up my shower curtain.

i am not comfortable drilling holes into the tiles.

what is the best adhesive to stick the shower curtain rail to the wall?

the stuff we used for sticking the shower rail up doesnt seem to work :(

thanks

ib

We were in the same position recently and had to drill in the end. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Some tips I came across that i found useful....
    - Get a drill bit specifically for tile, I picked one up in B&Q.
    - Mark the location you want to drill, put tape over the area to stop the drill bit from moving when you start drilling.
    - Use a decent drill that has a variable motor, use a slow setting so you're almost grinding through the tile glaze. This will reduce the chance of cracking.

Once you start there'll be no stopping you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Provided its going from wall to wall there is a telescopic shower rail in argos. Its brilliant i have one up 4 years.

If you want to give it extra support you can buy stick on cups for the wall it sits into.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thanks guys :(

joey, its not going wall to wall unfortunately. i think i will get someone else to do and then i can blame them if the tiles crack :D

Well then as suggested try drill into grout lines... Shower curtains are not heavy so a 3 mm x 50mm spax screw will be easily concealed with a blob of grout should you take curtain rail down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

thanks guys :(

joey, its not going wall to wall unfortunately. i think i will get someone else to do and then i can blame them if the tiles crack :D
    The tiles shouldn't crack if the job has been done properly.

If they do crack, get the tiler back out to fix them. The adhesive should be strong enough to withstand drilling. If it's not, then the tiler is at fault.

SteM wrote: »
    We were in the same position recently and had to drill in the end. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Some tips I came across that i found useful....
    - Get a drill bit specifically for tile, I picked one up in B&Q.
    - Mark the location you want to drill, put tape over the area to stop the drill bit from moving when you start drilling.
    - Use a decent drill that has a variable motor, use a slow setting so you're almost grinding through the tile glaze. This will reduce the chance of cracking.

Once you start there'll be no stopping you :)

the problem is my drill is really heavy and i have problems when i have to lift it over my head toi drill, it always slips and i gouge the wall

i have an eighteen volt robyi - would it be worth my while to buy a light weight drill - can you even get these:confused:

the problem is my drill is really heavy and i have problems when i have to lift it over my head toi drill, it always slips and i gouge the wall

i have an eighteen volt robyi - would it be worth my while to buy a light weight drill - can you even get these:confused:

In fairness, if you are going to be drilling into concrete and need hammer action, then this is about as lightweight as you'll get

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Maybe a step ladder to get to the height. It won't require much pressure.

Put some painters tape over where you are drilling the hole (1/2 inch of tape will do). This will stop the drill from slipping.

Its pretty straightforward, get a masonary bit and that will do the job.

Dont use hammer action, it will crack the tiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

just put some masking tape over where u want to drill turn off the hammer action. if u can use a heavier screw than a 3 x 50. a 4.5 x50 or a 5 x50 with a 8 mm plug

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Dont use hammer action, it will crack the tiles.

If you are drilling into concrete, then once you get through the tile itself, you can turn on hammer action otherwise you will be there all day trying to get through the wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

What worked for me once upon a time was to arrange three pieces of masking tape in a triangular shape, leaving just a tiny spot in the middle where you want the hole to be.

The three pieces of tape stop the drill bit from sliding on the tile and start at a nice slow speed and bob's your uncle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Whats the concensus on drilling porcelain tiles? I've heard of people successfully going at them with a masony bit while others say they wouldn't risk it and instead use the 'proper' expensive porcelain tile bit.

What are peoples experiences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Well then as suggested try drill into grout lines... Shower curtains are not heavy so a 3 mm x 50mm spax screw will be easily concealed with a blob of grout should you take curtain rail down

lads, by drilling the grout lines are you not at more risk of cracking the tile more than if you drill through the tile itself. Do you not risk causing one of those shell type circular cracks??

My tiler warned me not to drill the grout lines for fear of this. My brother in law who is a builder was in agreement with him.

As the drill bit enters the grout the tip of the drill bit is clear of the edge of the tile, but as it penetrates the grout, the side of the drill bit hits the edge of the tile on an angle, causing a chip or cracking.

D1gger wrote: »
    Whats the concensus on drilling porcelain tiles? I've heard of people successfully going at them with a masony bit while others say they wouldn't risk it and instead use the 'proper' expensive porcelain tile bit.

What are peoples experiences?

if your using masonary use a few bits so for a 5mm hole use a 2mm 3mm then 5mm. and have someone squart washing up liquid and water into the hole as you go.

reilig wrote: »
    lads, by drilling the grout lines are you not at more risk of cracking the tile more than if you drill through the tile itself. Do you not risk causing one of those shell type circular cracks??

My tiler warned me not to drill the grout lines for fear of this. My brother in law who is a builder was in agreement with him.

As the drill bit enters the grout the tip of the drill bit is clear of the edge of the tile, but as it penetrates the grout, the side of the drill bit hits the edge of the tile on an angle, causing a chip or cracking.

With ceramics yes you are correct however if you use small bits its easier to cover the hole up with a smuge of grout later.

thanks everyone

stupid big tiles there is no grout anywhere near where it nears to go:rolleyes:

would gun-a-prene (sp) work?

Is it a straight rail wall to wall? If so, then possibly tek 7 will do the trick, however if its for a corner rail then I doubt it

Advertisement