Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board bag.... Is it needed?

Options
  • 21-09-2010 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I'm just about to invest in my first board, and now comes the rash of accessories that I need (or not). I'm trying to figure out if I need a board bag or not. I'll be transporting on a roof rack, and storing it in a garage. Not sure why I need a bag.... Can anyone enlighten me as to why I should part with 50/60 Euro?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

I'd recommend getting a board bag. If your transporting on a roof rack then without a bag expect plenty of insects splattered on it.

If your transporting in your car it keeps sand and wax off your upholstery.

Your probably just buying a basic beginners board but a bag will keep it in decent condition and will help sell on value if you want to upgrade in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

All of the above plus on a roof rack the bag will give you extra padding when you go to tie it down.

Also when you get to your surf location you need to attach the fins and leash so it's handy to have the bag to rest the board on while you do this as in a lot of places you'll probably be setting up in a car park.

Depends on what type of board you're looking for but I got my beginners board from the kingofwatersports.com (bic 7' 9" Minimal) and they threw in bag, leash, fins, free delivery etc - the current rate is about €280

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

Thanks for that.. Hadn;t thought of the bugfest on the board. Thats enough of a reason for me

Getting an 8'2" NSP.... Looking forward to it.. Thanks for the replies folks... I may well be asking how to repair dings soon. so stay tuned:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Bic's/NSP's don't need bags, that €70 buys two lessons which would be much more beneficial to you and everybody else near you in the water.

Fixing dings is easy, just throw the guy whose board you just damaged €40 to get it fixed rather then looking gormlessly in the opposite direction while muttering "uh uh sorry, I didn't see you" and paddling away.

Seriously, Lessons!!!

• Advertisement

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    Bic's/NSP's don't need bags, that €70 buys two lessons which would be much more beneficial to you and everybody else near you in the water.

Fixing dings is easy, just throw the guy whose board you just damaged €40 to get it fixed rather then looking gormlessly in the opposite direction while muttering "uh uh sorry, I didn't see you" and paddling away.

Seriously, Lessons!!!
    Aren't you pleasant? I'm not sure why you assume that I haven't had lessons. I'm happy to say that I have in Tramore and Bundoran. I'm glad I did, because apart from showing me how not to look 'gormlessly' at other surfers (as you so eloquently put it) they did point out that there were individuals like you who seem to have a bit of a superiority complex about those new to surfing and who are prone to making unfounded assumptions. When I want lessons on how to deal others in the water, I'll be sure to ask you. I really hope you are not typical of the surfing community. Thankfully you are the first that I have come across that was obviously never taught any manners..

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Aren't you pleasant? I'm not sure why you assume that I haven't had lessons. I'm happy to say that I have in Tramore and Bundoran. I'm glad I did, because apart from showing me how not to look 'gormlessly' at other surfers (as you so eloquently put it) they did point out that there were individuals like you who seem to have a bit of a superiority complex about those new to surfing and who are prone to making unfounded assumptions. When I want lessons on how to deal others in the water, I'll be sure to ask you. I really hope you are not typical of the surfing community. Thankfully you are the first that I have come across that was obviously never taught any manners..

Jeez, grow a pair. You will need them for the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Jeez, grow a pair. You will need them for the winter internet
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Seriously, Lessons!!!

Plenty of people like this in the surfing game,

Here's the ground rules under which general assumptions can be made:

If you're new to the sport - you're a moron
    If you use a Bic or and NSP - you're a a moron
    If you're remotely near these people in the water - you're moron & a menace, leave the water immediately and bow to your superiors
    etc.

If a person is willing to drop around €500+ on a board, bag, wetsuit etc without taking a lesson - moron alert for sure, but to assume the op falls into this bracket is the height of arrogance.

Jeez, grow a pair. You will need them for the winter
    Finally..... a decent tip ;)

• Advertisement

Aren't you pleasant? I'm not sure why you assume that I haven't had lessons.

I never assumed that you hadn't lessons, nowhere above did I suggest anything like that, rather I pointed out that the money spent on a bag would be better spent on lessons. In your case, further lessons.

A handful of hours bobbing around in varying conditions on a yellow foamy does not a qualified surfer make!
    Congratulations, you are now a qualified beginner and being so you are now entitled to revel in Kookiness at every jam packed overcrowded spot along our coasts.

A "hard" board regardless of brand is different to your foamy so get lessons on that instead, explain that you've done a few already but want more one-on-one guidance along with pointers and advice which you can take away with you and work upon.

Seems like strange surf schools that you had lessons with if they were teaching you....

how not to look 'gormlessly' at other surfers

and teaching you

that there were individuals who seem to have a bit of a superiority complex about those new to surfing

when safety, basics of surf etiquette, the importance of holding onto your board and general awareness would've been much more appropriate I'd have thought.
    If you give it awhile you will have exactly that encounter with other so called beginners which I described above.

Now here I will make an assumption that you are much more understanding and forgiving than myself but.... when some beginner (or experienced) needlessly, thoughtlessly or carelessly sends their board flying in your direction either injuring yourself or damaging your board I tend to get a little miffed with them.
    It's especially frustrating when that person then merely scrambles for their board avoiding eye-contact or stuttering some sort of an apology and attempts to get away as quickly as their awkward paddling will allow.

In less than a year my most recent new board is now considerably less than new and I've spent far too much cash getting the thing fixed professionally.
    The majority of this is due to the general ignorance of beginners or smucks on borrowed boards without the slightest idea as to what they should be doing or where they should be.

I really hope you are not typical of the surfing community.

Well due to my experiences and time spent in the water I try to be extra conscious of others in the water, I give more waves than I take and I try my best to have a super fun time and keep smiling regardless of conditions or crowds. So I guess that I’m probably not typical of the surfing community.

Thankfully you are the first that I have come across that was obviously never taught any manners.

I have perfectly good manners and am happy to share waves, chat away and give advice when asked. I generally don't hassle or hog waves and am generous afterwards with my time, tea, beer or simply happy to share the warmth from 'round the camp fire.
    However I no longer show respect to those that don't show me any respect.

Fixing dings? If you caused 'em then man up and pay for it. If someone seriously damages another's property outside of the surf that's exactly what you would be expected to do.
    In your case your board is gonna do a lot more damage to other boards than will ever be inflicted upon itself.
    Again, my advice was to spend your cash on proper lessons as it'll benefit you a lot more than an unnecessary bag for a near indestructible Kookstick.

Lastly, apologies if I offended your sensitive sensibilities Brah!

Cecil Mor, I'm not agreeing with everything you say nor am I disagreeing, I do believe that surf etiquette is important: http://www.surfaroundireland.com/2010/07/surfing-etiquette.html

Now people do get it wrong, everyone does - it just happens because we're not all amazingly gifted surfers but to know your place is important i.e. surfing a break suited to your ability and apologise if you do mess up close to someone.

Now surf lessons are important but I don't believe that they are always necessary for people with new hard boards, they would help dont get me wrong but not totally necessary if people are more aware before heading to sea with them.

Im not being smart at all but Cecil Mor how did you progress? did you get lessons on a soft board, then buy a hard board and get lessons on it also?

I'm not a top surfer; a few years at it (but dont live on the coast) however I think we all can help those below us in the ladder if ya know what I mean. I'm not on reefs yet but a friend of mine is willing to bring me out and show me the ropes when I feel ready.

If we're more positive with pure beginners it will help. the original poster just really wanted to know about a board bag. maybe a quick sentence of advice on the board bag along some general helpful advice would be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bicker

You don't need a board bag for an NSP, and if, as you say, you've been surfing a few years then you would/should know that. Which is why the advice to perhaps refresh/improve your knowledge in regard to surfing is being given. A bit forceful perhaps, but its an emotive subject, too many people are climbing into wetsuits (from Lidl......) and assuming 2 leasons is all they need, and then proceed to cause, shall we say, issues, for others. You will come up against this yourself when you are at a level of skill to see it. Schools have intermediate leasons for a reason, where they will give you the skills necessary to move into surfing safely, with respect for yourself, others and the elements. Last week there was a guy telling another guy here that he needed on shore winds for good surf, now I'm not suggesting you don't know your on shores from your off shores, but its obvious that a little fine tuning might be needed, and as a bonus you will get far more pleasure from your surfing. And nobody will have any problem surfing beside you. So forget about insects (the sea water has an amazing knack of washing them off), strap the board down as hard as you can to the rack, it will never break, even at 100 mph (mine didn't) and get stoked. The correct way.

Bicker wrote: »
    You don't need a board bag for an NSP, and if, as you say, you've been surfing a few years then you would/should know that. Which is why the advice to perhaps refresh/improve your knowledge in regard to surfing is being given.

Ok I dont come on this forum with the intention of arguing and I never claim to be an expert in this area but I offer advice where I can.

I had a board bag for my old nsp. I know these boards do not damage near as easy as proper boards but they do damage all the same and this can be down to carelessness of the owner at times. I was talking to a shaper in recent weeks and one of the main streams of his business is repairing nsp's, Bic's and Renegade boards.

So reasons I said a bag might be needed:

• It will keep your board cleaner and less likely to be damaged outside the water.
    • If your transporting it in your car it keeps sand and wax off your upholestry.
    • I found when selling my old nsp I got a good price because of the good condition I had kept it in.
    • Not everyone has a garage, etc. and some have to store the board inside their house, bag prevents getting sand/wax inside your house.
    its not a necessity but can be of use.
    You will come up against this yourself when you are at a level of skill to see it.
    I have had people in my way, dropping in on me, snaking and wave hogging so I have seen this already and it wasnt just beginners, seasoned surfers are at it also.
    Last week there was a guy telling another guy here that he needed on shore winds for good surf, now I'm not suggesting you don't know your on shores from your off shores,
    I saw this alright and yep he totally got it wrong but the rest of the posters set it straight pretty quickly.
    but its obvious that a little fine tuning might be needed, and as a bonus you will get far more pleasure from your surfing.And nobody will have any problem surfing beside you.
    Obivious fine tuning needed from the statement that I made about a board bag being of use? I was looking into intermediate lessons alright to improve my skills.

This response is just setting my opinion straight and its not an attack at anybody. I'm glad more experienced surfers post on this forum as I know I still have learning to do and their advice is defo welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bicker

Eh, crossed wires here, my post was intended for Macaonbhuit, the original guy ? Just didn't say so cause I couldn't remember his name while writing it. None of it directed at you cr (can't remember yours either....):rolleyes:

Eh, crossed wires here, my post was intended for Macaonbhuit, the original guy ? Just didn't say so cause I couldn't remember his name while writing it. None of it directed at you cr (can't remember yours either....):rolleyes:

Ah right, No bother.

Lastly, apologies if I offended your sensitive sensibilities Brah!
    Cecil Mor---- Cheers and as for the qualified advice, thanks. That's something I can use. As I'm getting advice from someone as experienced of yourself, and as someone who is a proponent of boards from local shapers.... Tell me this; Should I be considering a board from a shaper at this point? I got a quote not hugely beyond the cost of the NSP for a heavily glassed board, but I reckon it would be waste, because I'm likely to wreck it.

BTW, I have every intention of carrying on with the lessons, with plenty of water time in between. I guess you could identify with the analogy of driving quality in this country. I assume its a similar problem.

if, as you say, you've been surfing a few years then you would/should know that.

Didn't say, but I wish I had been

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I got a quote not hugely beyond the cost of the NSP for a heavily glassed board, but I reckon it would be waste, because I'm likely to wreck it.

Why do people think ths way? You will only wreck a board if you do not take care of it. I have several custom boards and the only time I have dinged them is when I was careless - or someone else being careless - not by anyones level of actual surfing.

The key thing here is that if you want a good / custom board, by all means get one, but do not think that anything other than carelessness (or a heavy lip!) will damage it.

Why do people think ths way?
    Sure.... just asking for advice from those more experienced .To be honest, I want to make sure I get the best advice to help me make the best decision. I'm not one for spending money on a whim... and I want to do the best thing for my surfing.

• Advertisement

Personally I started on a 9' surftech longboard. More durable than a traditional poly board but sharper than the usual Bic/NSP etc.
    Still often used as a back up board.
    Had lessons with Tom in S'hill but I've been lucky in that generally my local spots were usually empty so I could flail about safely with the only victim being myself.

A locally shaped poly board would require more care or minding than a plastic fantastic but as OldGuysRule says above its down to how you look after it. If you're gonna stick at this and progress onto such a board it's a good habit which you'll have to develop sooner or later.
    Holding onto the board as best & often as is possible, which one should do regardless, will of course contribute towards this.

About 60% of damage to my boards over the last few years has been due to interaction with others also in the water, the rest due to either occasional carelessness or meeting unseen rocks/being dragged across reefs.
    Other guys whom I surf with has had much better luck as regards damage... I guess luck plays a big part of it.

The most important thing as regards progressing your surfing is time spent in the water full stop!!
    Second is a positive determined attitude and lastly a board suitable to advance upon, IMO you're talking length & volume.

While it's obviously been building crowding was, by my observations, noticeable much more of an issue this year.
    A local reef with a one spot take-off that could comfortably handle maybe a dozen guys sharing waves this weekend had 35 on it when I paddled out. 10 or so guys surfing with the rest just sitting inside in the way without any idea what direction to paddle in, if even, when someone on a wave comes down the line.
    I turned out of three waves rather then run people over before catching a wave that I could ride all the way back to the shore promising not to return until, at the very least, there's heavy frost on the ground.
    This weekend it was very mellow and maybe elbow to shoulder high but I've seen it the same on days where it was head high & above with serious punch in it.
    Couple of weeks ago I watched from the cliff in Tullan two beginners being washed in on a set entangled, one with the other's leash firmly wrapped 'round his neck. Luckily again it was a nice mellow day but I'm amazed that there is not more serious injuries being inflicted.

While the crowds here is still nothing in comparison to California, Oz etc at least there the standard of surfing is much higher, greater membership/structure of surfclubs and a reasoned acceptance of certain beaches being intended for beginners, advanced surfers etc

Good luck with the surfing, stay safe and enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jomob

I'd recommend getting a board bag. If your transporting on a roof rack then without a bag expect plenty of insects splattered on it.
    have to say ive never had the insect problem!

it would be handy to get one if your carrying it in the car to keep ****e off the seats. ya wont have to be meticulous when your drying it off then. ya can just lob it in the bag

Advertisement