Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering WiMax

• 21-09-2010 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hi.

I was thinking of ordering WiMax for my house.

When I called they told me I needed to buy "a box that looks like an alarm" for the front of the house.

They don't mention this on their web site. What is it? Would I be right in presuming I'm probably the first in my area to look for their service so I need this box? Once I get it they can use that to provide a service to anyone else in the area and they won't need the box as I'm providing the signal for them? I imagine it's some sort of booster box??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

What kind of wimax and from whom, there are at least 6 wimax providers in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I wouldn't advise getting WiMax if at all possible!

Most wimax providers are excellent, one or two are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    What kind of wimax and from whom, there are at least 6 wimax providers in Ireland

Imagine.

Thats mobile wimax. Wimax is a set of technologies and Imagine happen to use the worst of them.

Get proper wireless ( fixed wimax or otherwise) such as Digiweb Metro or whatever your local wireless ISP provides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I got imagine and it was really bad I got rid of it quikly enough, went back to my clear wire, still with imagine but it worked, that wi max did not.

Turns out I can't get UPC either.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and going with Eircom at this stage.

I'm just looking for standard broadband with a high download limit (or limitless), 3MB or higher download speed. Was hoping to get it cheaper than Eircom though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Magnet, Smart, UTV, Vodafone, Digiweb, etc?

jor el wrote: »
    Magnet, Smart, UTV, Vodafone, Digiweb, etc?

Sound. Already tried Magnet and they don't cover us. Gonna try Digiweb next. Any idea which are the most reliable and offer a good service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Thats mobile wimax. Wimax is a set of technologies and Imagine happen to use the worst of them.

Get proper wireless ( fixed wimax or otherwise) such as Digiweb Metro or whatever your local wireless ISP provides.

They also do fixed if the mobile is not good enough in your area.

+1 on the shockingly bad service from them. Awful crowd....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    Sound. Already tried Magnet and they don't cover us. Gonna try Digiweb next. Any idea which are the most reliable and offer a good service?

I got Digiweb wireless metro just last week and very happy with it.

8 meg down
    1 meg up
    60 gig download limit.
    Getting the advertised speeds and getting good pings also of about 20ms.

Free installation and costs 39.95 a month.
    They came and installed in under a week.
    Give them a go and see if its available for you.

slayerking wrote: »
    I got Digiweb wireless metro just last week and very happy with it.

8 meg down
    1 meg up
    60 gig download limit.
    Getting the advertised speeds and getting good pings also of about 20ms.

Free installation and costs 39.95 a month.
    They came and installed in under a week.
    Give them a go and see if its available for you.

Not available. Hardly anyone seems to cover my area, getting sick of it.

Feidhlim wrote: »
    They also do fixed if the mobile is not good enough in your area.

Imagine don't do fixed Wimax, only mobile. There are external aerials in use, but it's still on the mobile Wimax network, and doesn't make it much better. All it will do is get you a signal.

If Imagine have declined you the service, then they must really think it won't work where you are. They don't readily turn down customers.

If any DSL is available, you should be able to get Magnet's bitstream service, can't remember the name they give it. You should also be able to get service from any of the other bitstream re-sellers.

Imagine don't do fixed Wimax, only mobile. There are external aerials in use, but it's still on the mobile Wimax network, and doesn't make it much better. All it will do is get you a signal.

If Imagine have declined you the service, then they must really think it won't work where you are. They don't readily turn down customers.

If any DSL is available, you should be able to get Magnet's bitstream service, can't remember the name they give it. You should also be able to get service from any of the other bitstream re-sellers.

Magnet said they don't cover our area.

I think I've narrowed it down to Eircom, Digiweb. Just waiting for a call back from Vodafone now to find out about coverage......

Swift is the bitstream package sold by Magnet. Did you check your number on their website? If eircom is available, it should be available too. Magnet LLU will only be available on certain limited exchanges.

Digiweb own Smart Telecom now, and again if it's not an LLU exchange, it will just be eircom bitstream, same as Magnet Swift.

Swift is the bitstream package sold by Magnet. Did you check your number on their website? If eircom is available, it should be available too. Magnet LLU will only be available on certain limited exchanges.

Digiweb own Smart Telecom now, and again if it's not an LLU exchange, it will just be eircom bitstream, same as Magnet Swift.

Sorry I don't see anything regarding a swift package on their website. You got a link?

If you put in a phone number that is on an eircom enabled exchange, but one that does not have Magnet LLU equipment, then it should offer Swift. Perhaps they don't make it available on all eircom exchanges, though I thought they did.

Magnet's rep, Rory, may be able to help you. You could PM him your number to check it out.

Advertisement