Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age of House?

Options
  • 21-09-2010 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I'm trying to find out what age my house is for insurance reasons.

I think it may be over the 100 year mark based on appearance, old osi maps and old census documents but can't be sure to be honest.

The copy of the land registry folio document I got when I bought it only goes back to the 1970's when describing interests on the property and it is definitely older than that. I'm guessing it was owned by the council prior to this but again I'm not sure.

Does anyone know a more definite way to find out?

The house is in Dublin 7 if that make a difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Planning permission wasn't required until 1965, but a knowledgeable builder or a surveyor should be able to tell the age of the building accurately from the construction and materials used in the the building.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

I'm trying to find out what age my house is for insurance reasons.

The house is in Dublin 7 if that make a difference.

If it was there at the time of the 1901 census it is obviously at least 110 years old. You need to get the original lease. There should be a memorial in the Registry of Deeds.

I considered buying a house in Dublin 7. I got an architect to do a survey. He said in his report that the house was Victorian. It turned out the house was built in the 1930s.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Dymo wrote:
    Planning permission wasn't required until 1965, but a knowledgeable builder or a surveyor should be able to tell the age of the building accurately from the construction and materials used in the the building.
    Yea, this would be one way to go about it alright, but I'd prefer a more definite outcome. There must be a paper record of it somewhere.
    Jo King wrote: »
    If it was there at the time of the 1901 census it is obviously at least 110 years old.

Well there were residences on the street alright...it doesn't necessarily mean its the same buillding. The numbering appears a bit odd in the census records so I can't really be sure from them.
    You need to get the original lease. There should be a memorial in the Registry of Deeds.
    I'll look into this, thanks.
    I considered buying a house in Dublin 7. I got an architect to do a survey. He said in his report that the house was Victorian. It turned out the house was built in the 1930s.

I'd love if it was more modern than it appears! Would certainly make it cheaper to insure!:D I have an inkling though that it is over the 100 year mark. Found an insurer to cover it anyway without a need to specify age so I'll stay with them I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 crabfeet

Have you tried asking the neighbours? In all those old-established areas there is usually some old codger who has his title deeds under the bed and can tell you the name of the original builder, the colour of his horses and the cost of all the timber used.

Advertisement