Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 signs you play too many games

Options
  • 21-09-2010 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

I'm told that I suffer from 4, 9 & 10

http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/blog/article/15357/

1. You can survive on Cola for 24 hours after a new purchase
    The thrill of the new combined with fight or flight excitement means that solids are not essential

2. You wear the same haircut as your favourite game hero
    This is sheer coincidence. You were always planning to sport a 3 ft tall crew-cut like Colonel Guile

3. You think you could actually be your favourite game hero
    Suddenly you are considering joining the TA or practicing the art of Kung Fu… or managing a farm

4. You anticipate a new game more than you eventually play it
    Only 18-months to wait for the sequel to the biggest game of 2010, and you’ve already pre-ordered

5. You buy the official guide only to admire the pictures for a week
    Player guides seldom become your secret weapon against friends, but at least they look very nice

6. Game rage! Like road rage but your partner walks in front of the TV
    You are approaching the final bend or facing your nemesis when suddenly ‘Check out my new shoes’

7. You own several tee-shirts with esoteric game slogans or signs
    While out drinking with friends you secretly hope that a t-shirt that says ‘Me > Evil’ makes you look cool

8. Constantly refresh browser window checking for new casual games
    Your other coffee-break games are ticking away nicely, now you seek to fall in love all over again

9. Lately you’ve been having nightmares about 7 ft soldiers
    The last thing you saw before crawling to bed was a bunch of blokes standing over your lifeless virtual body

10. 4.00am is a good time to call it a night. Unless it’s the weekend
    One more try before 11pm, this is a school night. One more try before 12am, this is a school night…

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Yeah I do find that the anticipation of a game is often better than the playing of it. I think nowadays that so many games are given the hollywood trailer treatment, that when they're eventually released the only way the enjoyment factor can go is down.

I have suffered from game rage before, but less so as I got older.

Good intentions of going to bed at 11 often end up in 2/3 am finishes...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I don't let game anticipation/hype get to me any more, and if someone walks in front of the TV I just hit pause. I guess I don't play too many games...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Good intentions of going to bed at 11 often end up in 2/3 am finishes...

Some games are worse than others *looks nervously at Civ5*

I play something like Battlefield if I don't want to stare down the barrel of 3am. It's easier to keep track of time when every game lasts a set amount of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Someone facebooked that link to me yesterday. It fairly made me chuckle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I suffer from 1 and 10. More so 10 to the extreme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I try to not look for new games that are up and coming, so when I eventually find them I'm like "Oh sweet, I didn't even know they were making that!"

Makes it WAY more enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Yep, I definitely suffer from #6... Especially since I've started playing the unpausable, bastard-hard Demon's Souls!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I am already anticipating the elsder scrolls 5 and it hasn't even been announced yet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kefuie

I guess, I've got 3 stars on number three!!! That was really ME! LOL:D:D:D
    Act like ur fav.super hero and feels like him...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Kiokia

sarumite wrote: »
    I am already anticipating the elsder scrolls 5 and it hasn't even been announced yet!!

I feel your great anticipation!

and only a year before GOW 3 and Arkham City lads! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

6. Game rage! Like road rage but your partner walks in front of the TV
    You are approaching the final bend or facing your nemesis when suddenly ‘Check out my new shoes’

Sign that you don't play too many games: You have a partner

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

One sign is definitely when you look at the random picture ...and can tell the location in the game(had it last week :rolleyes:) But in my case it's rather a withdrawal symptom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Does that mean I'm normal? :P

Nah, means the list is stupid. Only one or two apply to me and I play a fair amount of games.

One thing I do notice, is that when you stop playing a games after a long period at it you start thinking like you're in the game. For example, too long at GTA and you'll get a bit of an urge to mount the kerb to get around traffic, and ignore traffic lights in real life. With Civ or any other turn based game, you'll go around the house wondering if you have enough points to turn the kettle on and get back to the TV in this turn.

My da used to have one where he'd play a flight sim for too long, then go driving. He kept looking for the fire button on the gearstick to blow the car in front of him away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

#7 and #10 definitely apply to me.

I have way too many geeky gaming-related t-shirts from Splitreason :(

And my usual time to call it quits is somewhere between 3am and 8am.

Advertisement