Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

downloading Office 2010 question

• 21-09-2010 10:20am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭

HI I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I bought an Acer notebook which has Windows 7 starter on it and I've bought office 2010 to install on it. I'm having problems installing it and was wondering if it is because I only have the Windows 7 starter? The only other reason I can think I might have downloading is my internet connection speed?

Any advice:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Did you get an error when downloading, or an error when installing what you downloaded? Also, can you post what error you encountered?
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

angeldaisy wrote: »
    HI I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I bought an Acer notebook which has Windows 7 starter on it and I've bought office 2010 to install on it. I'm having problems installing it and was wondering if it is because I only have the Windows 7 starter? The only other reason I can think I might have downloading is my internet connection speed?

Any advice:confused:

Copy the office 2010 cd onto a usb key and run setup from there, should work ok for you, you can simply copy the folders over onto the key usually

Nick

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

dilallio wrote: »
    Did you get an error when downloading, or an error when installing what you downloaded? Also, can you post what error you encountered?
    Thanks.

No error message comes up, its just that when I select the path to download to and press download, it doesn't appear to be doing anything. It says that I should see a status bar on the bottom of the page, but there isn't anything there? I've left it like this for over 30mins and tried and retried but just nothing.

yoyo wrote: »
    Copy the office 2010 cd onto a usb key and run setup from there, should work ok for you, you can simply copy the folders over onto the key usually

Nick

I didn't buy the cd I bought the download version

No error message comes up, its just that when I select the path to download to and press download, it doesn't appear to be doing anything. It says that I should see a status bar on the bottom of the page, but there isn't anything there? I've left it like this for over 30mins and tried and retried but just nothing.

Is there an option to download a standalone version if its trying to use microsofts own download manager? Otherwise if you use firefox download the addon DownEmAll to download it, if your internet connection is unstable, this supports resume,

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Crappy downloading speed I would have thought. Try at a different time. Or download an Office 2010 trial and use your key to activate it. That was possible with Office 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

if you are downloading from software4students the download bar isn't obvious to see. it is the bottom of the box that pops up though and easy to miss

Crappy downloading speed I would have thought. Try at a different time. Or download an Office 2010 trial and use your key to activate it. That was possible with Office 2007.

Be careful doing this, especially if your on mobile bb and trying to download it as its large, I baught the OEM office 07 business for my dads new build, all microsoft gave in this instance was a wallet with a credit card sized license and they expected you to download it! Fair enough but I think I needed to try several different versions before finding the correct one, It suprised me no where in the documentation a download link was shown... :rolleyes:

Nick

Okay, so I think I must be doing something wrong:confused:

I'm now on a wireless connection which is showing as excellent, and I'm still having problems.

This is as far as I can get.... It did say about the file name needing to end in .exe But I don't seem to be able to change it. Am I being stupid or has anyone else had problems with this. Downloading from Software for students..

Authorization Downloading Unpacking Launch Install

Your download may take a few seconds to begin, please wait while we start your download.

The download may take some time to complete based on the speed of your connection and the size of the package. Download progress is displayed in the status bar below.

Download Location: C:\Temp File Description: Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 32bit (English) File Name: en_office_professional_plus_2010_w32_x16-32250.sdc File Size: 650.00 MB
    If you wish to stop and start the download later, simply close this window and restart this program to resume the download. The location of this file will depend on the directory you chose initially. Please be sure to keep the download destination directory the same as above for the resume otherwise the download will start from scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I'm now on a wireless connection which is showing as excellent, and I'm still having problems.

The 'excellent connection' is between the computer and the router not the router and the internet. 650MB at 3mbs, taking into account acknowledgements headers etc, would take best part of an hour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement