Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My plea - Bankruptcy Amnesty

Options
  • 21-09-2010 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

Bankruptcy Amnesty

I am probably not the only one in this position, in fact I would hazard a guess that there are quiet a few teams who like myself need a season to get their finances in order. My problems are not caused by stupid spending but by dare I say some very questionable changes to the game over the last few seasons. This is how the changes impacted me

I was forced into a division last year that was way beyond what I could compete in couple this with the contentment changes where my fans seemed to think that I should be TNTing every game, not only was I getting hit with the contentment in my league but somebody never bothered to check if -15 contentment drop in a friendly was a tad extreme (this might have been rectified after a few rounds but I had already experienced 2 big defeats to strong teams) I was relegated from Division 2 thus no prize money and I also suffered a massive -40 loss in contentment for being relegated (Meaning not only did I suffer negative contentment for losing games to put in this position but I am getting a double negative hit at the end of the season for losing these games)

I am not asking for my debt to be wiped or for any special Loan type payment, what I am asking for is a stay on my inevitable bankruptcy, just give me a season to get my house in order by getting my fans contentment back up, the positive gate income effect that has combined with some prize money at the end of the season (please don’t force me to sell everything in a fire sale. I have not been extragevent – check my transfer history, I have been destroyed by contentment and its impact on my home income) I am here cap in hand asking for the developers to recognise that their decisions have impacted some teams and that by forcing those of us who are in trouble to sell everything will result in us just not bothering to rebuild again and leaving the game – I know I have no interest in starting over again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

I can't see it happening wex.

Surely it can't be that bad eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

They have to do something JP, look around, numbers are falling - managers in the game 3 or 4 seasons have been destroyed by a clear lack of common sense or joined up thinking by the developers. I will be gone in 4 weeks I would say, in the red to the tune of $120,000 and with fans contentment at grim I will make a loss for home games over the coming weeks! When I do go bankrupt I won't be back, for all that BR people snear at Rugbymania it is a game where they don't seem to have the mind set of screwing the paying public.

I could survive by selling my facilities and selling all my players but screw that, I am not doing that and starting again! Look at the numbers JP, mark my word this game will be gone in a few years if Jeremy continues along this path.

By the way JP I would be interested to know if you think I have a valid point about them screwing teams like mine over?

ok wex, to get your contentment climbing, you have to LTNT.

I faced the same thing at the start of last season which meant I had to LTNT one of my cup games against a bot ! Just write off your energy for the first half of the season and ltnt the first 4 games or so. You have 29 players, so just LTNT with your non-starters. Once your contentment is under control again, your gate receipts will return.

120k is nothing at this time of year either. It's one decent player to put you back in the black. Looking at your reseves, most of them are in the 20k CSR ballpark. That is way to high imo. I have a first XV, then 5 decent subs, and the remaining 5 players are rubbish and are never used. Controlling your salary bill is vital.

Sell a few players that will leave you with 20 decent lads. LTNT your first 2 league and cup games. That would be my advice.

Also in relation to what happened with the bot-flush, all I can say is that it worked for some teams and didn't for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

I agree, i had to postpone my lvl4 facilities etc as was getting far lower gate receipts for significant portions of the season than I had porjected due to contentment.

Still don't agree with contentment, the formula is too simplistic for sport. ie if I get like i did last season a decent cup run, but then meet a div1 team - why would my fans get angry that I was knocked out? would accrington & stanley get fed up if they lost to united in the FA cup? no they would be DELIGHTED they lasted long enough to be meeting big teams.

if I win 90% of games and lose the odd one because I am resting players to have a bash at cup and the league loss was inconsequental because I made playoffs anyway (but lost in final) would they lose as much contentment as they do in BR? no! I would take a Magners league defeat for a win in the Heineken group stages.

In BR situation, think of when Juve etc were relegated for match fixing, the teams in serie B promoted to replace (very similar to bot flush) these teams fan can't of expected them to win Serie A can they? 90% would have expected to go back to Serie B at end of season. so would hardly be raging at team & if they pulled off a few wins happy days!

just the contentment does not (and I believe CAN NOT) be realistic to implement on a fair basis so it should really not be there.

Would a team getting promoted and then losing say 40-50% of its matches and thus the contentment hit, they lose money and so take a bit longer to become really competitive. I know it impacted my thinking last season. (i aimed to not be in autopromote position and then win playoffs and throw the promotion game, to maximise winnings but stay in DIv III a bit longer, lost final but plan meh!)

/rant re contentment!

But yes I agree something needs to be done for the people like Phonehead, even if the contentment was tweaked that the relegation did not account last season for a drop so his earnings this season are not so bad...

Edit: I think this is my longest posts on boards ever... aha!

OK JP, I will do that, cheers man! I will sell Massi 32kCSR 20 year old Back and Browne a 28 year old 26K CSR Back. That should raise over 100k - do you get an increase in contentment for tnt'ing a bot?

• Advertisement

Yes you do.

The problem last year was this.

At the start of the season, there were large upswings and downswings with contentment.
    Then they changed it to less dramatic swings. Where you were on the scale when they changed it was important however.

I was way down the ladder meaning that climbing back up takes a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

jprender wrote: »
    Yes you do.

The problem last year was this.

At the start of the season, there were large upswings and downswings with contentment.
    Then they changed it to less dramatic swings. Where you were on the scale when they changed it was important however.

I was way down the ladder meaning that climbing back up takes a long time.

Whats annoying me at the moment is my contentment drops a point every 2nd I'm not playing or so. So since the play off final, I have lost 5 contentment points. Why?! and can I prevent it? anybody else notice this?

Ok, maybe things can be saved then! I will TNT all my games until I start getting my contentment up! I will sell off/reduce squad - I was going to try and get promoted back up this year but I really think that could be a mistake due to there being 4 or 5 really good teams in most Divison 2 leagues and they destroy your contentment even if you manage to take out a couple of other teams.

The Rucks will regroup in Toronto over the coming seasons slowly building up a team that got straight up and finish in the top 2 or 3 in any Division 2 League... Victory will be mine!! a few words from JP makes things seem so much better! Hey JP fancy turning round a nations economy??

crisco10 wrote: »
    Whats annoying me at the moment is my contentment drops a point every 2nd I'm not playing or so. So since the play off final, I have lost 5 contentment points. Why?! and can I prevent it? anybody else notice this?

That's the way it works.

The contentment has a natural level of 50, and so when you are above this it starts to creep down every day.
    Likewise, when you are below 50, contentment starts to creep up without doing anything.

(I think it is 50, someone else can confirm the mark.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

jprender wrote: »
    That's the way it works.

The contentment has a natural level of 50, and so when you are above this it starts to creep down every day.
    Likewise, when you are below 50, contentment starts to creep up without doing anything.

(I think it is 50, someone else can confirm the mark.)
    Think it's 50 too. I think this element of contentment is pretty fair. Unless you're declan kidney, the elation (or depression) we feel at full time tends to lessen over time.

I feel your pain wex. It's a problem - promotion is a bit of a disaster unless you are able to compete for the top four in the higher league.

• Advertisement

Honestly Dave, my view now is that Division 2 is a no go area until I can field a team that can get in the top 4! I will now have a tricky time trying to manage contentment and making sure I stay below to Autopromote line.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Jaysis Wex, I was feeling sorry for ya at the start, but now I'm just terrified for myself!

You're worried about a deficit of 120k?! I'm currently staring down the barrell of a 600k + ****fest!

Thankfully my youth academy should now be coming into play, I have a solid team that I know how to use and I'm going to start making cuts.

Anyone have any views on an "off season" for the YA? I currently have a full team of 10 star+ 16year olds who are about to turn 17. I also have a load of 19 year olds who will get kicked out and be replaced by 10star 16year olds.

My plan is to sell the current batch of nearly 17 year olds, cut back on everything but my coach, next season my new batch of 10star 16 year olds will be maturing so I can upgrade again and replace them. So, basically I'm taking a year off from recruiting due to the natural influx of 19 year old replacements.

As for the fall off in managers...

I've really noticed that of late. The off-site is dead. I moved house and didn't have internet for an age, so I was expecting at least a bolloxing re: my journo inactivity, but when I went back in my post was still the last and very little had happened elsewhere.

All is not as bad as expected, I was really expecting to make massive losses from home games but even at grim I managed to make a small profit!

The Irish scene has been crippled by all the leavers, seems we lost more strong teams in the last wave of exits! I myself with the organising myself for my move to Canada in January and my crazy work load have been unable to be really active. Ireland at the moment is not in a strong position!

Advertisement