Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Dad: questions about schools

• 21-09-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me some general advice for choosing primary school for my daughter. She's 3 months old but have recently been told to put her name down on school lists now!

I'm just looking for some info on fees (primary and secondary), does the primary school determine which secondary school you go to, what if we want to send her to a school that is not in our catchment area.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Censuspro,

There's no one answer for your question, it'll be different in various parts of the country, especially between cities and rural locations. In our area, which is rural, the school puts a notice in the mass bulliten in May or June asking parents of children coming in in September to contact the school. In comparison, I've known people in Dublin who've their child registered with the school before they've the umbilical chord cut practically!!

I don't think the primary school you choose would affect what secondary school your child will attend either. The best thing you can do to find out the exact position in your own area would be to talk to a friend/neighbour with kids in school and see what the story is.

Congrats on the new arrival, and hope you're getting some sleep finally! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

you can also put her name down for as many schools as you like. Elisha name was down for the best two schools in our area at 6 weeks and i was told i was late putting her name down. She was born in April though. Will decide the year before which school as one is Irish and other is English speaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ring and ask the primary schools to send you out a copy of thier charter, rules and thier enrollement policy. That way you can read over them and then go have a look at the schools. you can but her name down for all the ones you want and then as you rule them out for what ever reason remove her name from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Put her on the list for loads of schools until you decide, but the sooner the better really, in and out of your catchment. I wouldn't bother with private primary schools to be honest, but I would put her in a mixed school if you can(I think they make girls less boy crazy later on, some of the girls I know who have been in single sex education all their lives are really insane around boys and are more bitchy).

Some schools are feeders to other secondary schools, but that doesn't mean you can't get into others. Congrats on the new baby and good luck :)

Advertisement