Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locking threads that are ads

Options
  • 21-09-2010 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering. I know that you cannot advertise on Boards, and you must do so in adverts. Every so often people do advertise and the threads get locked saying that you need to go to adverts to do so, however I think this is a bit pointless.

Take this thread for example. It says the general 'Hey, I'm selling this, please pm me for details'. The thread has been locked by the mods and they guy has been told to buggar off to adverts. However, as this is in a slow moving forum (ish) the guy that posts the thread is still getting his publicity, as it will stay on the front page for a fair bit of time before it naturally fades away. I think this defeats the purpose altogether. Sure no one can post in the thread, but the op only wanted pm's so they are essentially still getting what they want

Shouldn't these sort of threads be deleted?

P.S, this isn't specific to the Sligo forum, as I've seen it around a number of fora, just using this as an example
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Generally in these sort of threads I would edit the post and removed the details to prevent it sitting there as an ad.

Could be the Mod forgot though, perhaps report the post and bring it to their attention?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

It could also be that the mod was being helpful in not deleting it.

The rules are no advertising because we have adverts.ie, but i'm sure the mod still wants to see the OP sell his product

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Tallon wrote: »
    It could also be that the mod was being helpful in not deleting it.

The rules are no advertising because we have adverts.ie, but i'm sure the mod still wants to see the OP sell his product

But doesn't that make the no advertising rule moot by leaving it there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

But doesn't that make the no advertising rule moot by leaving it there?

I don't think so, everything is a case by case basis. That user is relatively new and probably wasnt aware. Had he been spamming it across multiple fora than that would become a bigger issue

The mods has edited the OP anyway now, probably due to a report :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

It's at the mod descretion I guess. A few times I've seen mods lock a thread but keep the details, usually if it's for a good cause.

• Advertisement
Advertisement