Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four Leaving Certificate English A1 Poetry Essays

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

We're only using 4 poems for each personal response, does that mean we're going to lose marks? I saw you use 6 on the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but there is no way you received the results you're boasting. Maybe you obtained these results from your own English teacher (in which case I would advise they 'hang up their boots'). I read a few paragraphs of the Yeats essay and wished I could retreat to my own "Innishfree". Your language, for the most part, was quite simplistic in nature and while you did make it quite personal, it felt very forced and ultimately boring :P

I received an A1 in the 2010 Leaving Cert and I have no qualms in admitting that my responses were of a much higher standard. People in my class who obtained high C's and B's made better attempts at their poetry responses.

I wouldn't advise anyone to take these essays... It's plagiarism for a start and they’re not of a standard that I would risk my Leaving Certificate results for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Dr. Ring wrote: »
    I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but there is no way you received the results you're boasting. Maybe you obtained these results from your own English teacher (in which case I would advise they 'hang up their boots'). I read a few paragraphs of the Yeats essay and wished I could retreat to my own "Innishfree". Your language, for the most part, was quite simplistic in nature and while you did make it quite personal, it felt very forced and ultimately boring :P

I received an A1 in the 2010 Leaving Cert and I have no qualms in admitting that my responses were of a much higher standard. People in my class who obtained high C's and B's made better attempts at their poetry responses.

I wouldn't advise anyone to take these essays... It's plagiarism for a start and they’re not of a standard that I would risk my Leaving Certificate results for.
    Have you got an essay you could share? You sound quite confident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

I'm sorry if I came across as overly confident. I don't mean to offend. It's just that these essays are being put up with the assurance that they've received 50/50 and 47/50 when I feel that they don't deserve such impressive marks.

As I said before, the responce sounds very forced if that makes sense and I can see it annoying an examiner who has to correct 200 scripts.

In any event, if people were to copy these and use them for their own, it would be plagiarism and that alone is grounds for having your result (and perhaps entire Leaving Cert) upheld.

I appreciate what your trying to do for other people but don't say it got 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

any chance of a Dickinson essay from anyone?? please?? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 princessima

Only seen these now , theyr deadly , cheeers :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Splicer

Here are some more essays to look at esp. Sylvia Plath, Robert Frost, Yeats and Shakespeare

www.lcnotes.blogspot.com

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sarahmocks

soup1 wrote: »
    im rather surprised these achieved the results you claim. Your syntax seems so laboured :/ i achieved 49/50 in my Yeats answer this year with an overall result of 96% but my answers were certainly more substantial than this, both in size and detail. However, maybe the examiner took a liking to your style :)
    Either way, i would be worried about students using these answers as a template to achieve and A1 :/

I think that you are being completely unfair to the person who posted these essays! he/she took the time to upload them in the hope that they might be able to help somebody. he/she's not getting anything for them, and it's not benefiting her/him in the slightest! if you didn't find them good. then just go off of the thread no need to be mean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Cydoniac wrote: »
    We're only using 4 poems for each personal response, does that mean we're going to lose marks? I saw you use 6 on the first one.

I think 4 is fine as long as you have enough to write about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement