Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban thanks on 'you laugh you lose' ?

Options
  • 21-09-2010 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

I useed to like checking the post of the day(most thanked post) it is usually some smart arse clever remark.

Now it is always something off the you laugh you lose, so basically gonna be an unoriginal image linked

This sucks, how about we ban thanks on that thread?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,957 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Its thanks that people post the pictures for. Banning thanks on that thread (whilst not possible I think) would kill it.

What might be possible and probably a better solution is to not have posts from there eligible for POTD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

We currently have a Feedback thread running in Cool Vids if anyone has any suggestions

I can understand your frustration but to be honest the system works on the most thanked post of the day so I don't see why You Laugh you Lose should be excluded

As pointed about above you can't remove thanks from a thread, it has to be removed at forum level and I wouldn't like to see that happen, aside from anything else it would make the Photoshop competition impossible to decide

However if it something that annoys a lot of people I wouldn't object to You laugh you lose being removed from the post of the day, though I am not sure how possible that is with the current system and again as the post of the day brings new people to the thread and forum I don't see why the forum should suffer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

That thread has been there for a good while but it's only recently it has become very popular and attractive.

It will pass in time, just like the photoshopped face pictures (Which are awesome :))

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

You stay away from my forum.
    /shakes fist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I thank things I laugh at that I don't come across regularly. Cyanide & Happiness panels tend not to get thanks (from me) because I have seen them / it is very easy to just post up the latest five comics.

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Funniest thread on boads. Leave it alone imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 IMMA CHARGIN MAH LAZER

5starpool wrote: »
    Funniest thread on boads. Leave it alone imo.

Well said. it is like a 4chan archive of funneh.

Saves you having to go to 4chan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Don't think you can disable the 'thanks' on one thread, can you?

Anyway, don't see why someone should be disqualified from the prestigious title of 'post of the day' just because it might happen to be a repost.

I have lost out on post of the day twice thanks to that thread just piping me by one or two thanks, not a happy bunny was I, but that's the way it goes.

The same thing happens from time to time when somebody takes a picture of the liffey with a new lens filter that gives the feel of autumn, while still retaining a warm hint of a summer breeze and then later posts it in the photography forum.

Blinking artistic folk.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You actually count your thankses and compare them with the POTD?

Doesn't everyone?? :confused:

I have often been counting down to midnight with the nervousness of an Ebay auction :D

Boards mobile counts the thanks for you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I useed to like checking the post of the day(most thanked post) it is usually some smart arse clever remark.
    Now it is always something off the you laugh you lose, so basically gonna be an unoriginal image linked
    This sucks, how about we ban thanks on that thread?
    Aye,because the smart arse comments are soooo thank worthy.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

A thanks whore's best friend

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Doesn't everyone?? :confused:

I have often been counting down to midnight with the nervousness of an Ebay auction :D

Boards mobile counts the thanks for you ;)

Eh,you only found that out yourself the other week after i told you! How long are you here? :p

Anyway, i know what you mean OP in a way, but i now use the thanks filter as a way to see all the good 'you laugh, you lose' without having to go through the whole thread sifting through crap ones to find them :D
    People are just gonna have to come up with wittier remarks to get POTD!

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Eh,you only found that out yourself the other week after i told you! :p

Eh no, I knew already but I don't have a new fangled phone device these days (thanks to the recession) so couldn't check myself .. :)

I hear broadband will be with you soon enough down there anyway, so your days of climbing up mountains trying to get a signal strong enough for an m.boards session, will soon be over.

They had spend a fortune trying to get the drinking water sorted first ya see ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Eh no, I knew already but I don't have a new fangled phone device these days (thanks to the recession) so couldn't check myself .. :)

You learn something new every day ;)

m.boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I hear broadband will be with you soon enough down there anyway, so your days of climbing up mountains trying to get a signal strong enough for an m.boards session, will soon be over.

They had spend a fortune trying to get the drinking water sorted first ya see ;)

Broadband actually arrived in the area last month. I just can't afford it atm thanks to the recession..but sure climbing mountains keep me fit.

Anyway,like penguin88 said, you don't need a new fangled mobile to check mobile boards. :p

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Anyway,like penguin88 said, you don't need a new fangled mobile to check mobile boards. :p

What, and have Firefox laugh at me??

penguin88 wrote: »
    You learn something new every day ;)

m.boards.ie

Aye it works fine, we use it to check the thanks in the Photoshop comp

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I see no harm in leaving thanks as is. If it is a decent image, it deserves thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Stranglers

I've been banned on 2 accounts & still got 2 accounts live - you can't be really banned.Its stupid to think otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

So the POTD is still dominated by YLYL. It's just a barrage of thanks in that thread. If the thanks button is used for something being funny, the thread should have been called "Post a pic thread" because obviously when you go into a thread for funny pics, there will be funny pics and it just makes no sense to thank funny pics, that are supposed to be funny anyways. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Your signature is how I feel while reading your post...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

POTD isn't from YLYL today, it's a lovely pighead post

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I just stopped looking at potd since ylyl

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Yes. Ban thanks from YLYL.

Then ban MT Cranium from receiving thanks because he'll be POTD every day when that's done.

Next thing you'll have users starting threads in Feedback complaining that all the POTD are from After Hours so we should ban thanks from that forum...

Get over it. You can find the top thanked posts from the whole site here and over half of them are not from YLYL.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Yes. Ban thanks from YLYL.

Then ban MT Cranium from receiving thanks because he'll be POTD every day when that's done.

Next thing you'll have users starting threads in Feedback complaining that all the POTD are from After Hours so we should ban thanks from that forum...

Get over it. You can find the top thanked posts from the whole site here and over half of them are not from YLYL.

To be honest I think the Post of the day link should be replaced by what you linked to and renamed Posts of the day, would be a simple and quick fix

Post of the day is a very crude measure and whilst I am happy that it generally come from Cool Vids I understand people's frustration

In much the same way Thread of the day should be reworked to have some form of logic and measurement behind it rather than the current random selection but I understand that the Dev team have much more important things to look at like keeping the site running

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Just do what I do. Create an account on reddit.
    Downvote all the pictures that make you laugh to stop them ever showing up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭Penn

...but I understand that the Dev team have much more important things to look at like keeping the site running

Pah! Excuses Shmshuses!

Advertisement