Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Distance to router effecting connectivity to net

• 21-09-2010 1:16pm
    Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

I can't get my head around this at all and hoping the community here could shed some light on it - I was in my parents house yesterday and they presented me with a laptop which wouldn't connect to the internet depending on where you were in the house. We're not talking a mansion here - it's a standard semi D with a granny flat attached. My first assumption was that perhaps the routers signal was being interfered with or similar because I would have expected a router to have more than 20 foot coverage.

From what I can see though in the parts of the house where there is no internet working the connection to the router is there with 4 out of 5 bars signal. However the network centre shows that the laptop is connected to the router only and not to the net. Pick it up and carry it back inside / downstairs as appropriate and the internet connects. During this time the main PC wired directly to the router has full net access so it appears that if the laptop is not at 5 out of 5 bars the router shuts down connection the net for that laptop alone. I can log into the routers admin panel etc from anywhere and the admin area shows the laptop happily connected yet no net access unless it's within 10 feet of the router. Does this make any sense to anyone here :confused:

Had a look at firmware updates etc but had no joy. Would appreciate any thoughts ypu might have. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,539 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Had a look at firmware updates etc but had no joy. Would appreciate any thoughts ypu might have. :)

Done the usual things like change channel, compare with another wireless adapter etc, site survey to see what other networks are around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I can't get my head around this at all and hoping the community here could shed some light on it - I was in my parents house yesterday and they presented me with a laptop which wouldn't connect to the internet depending on where you were in the house. We're not talking a mansion here - it's a standard semi D with a granny flat attached. My first assumption was that perhaps the routers signal was being interfered with or similar because I would have expected a router to have more than 20 foot coverage.

From what I can see though in the parts of the house where there is no internet working the connection to the router is there with 4 out of 5 bars signal. However the network centre shows that the laptop is connected to the router only and not to the net. Pick it up and carry it back inside / downstairs as appropriate and the internet connects. During this time the main PC wired directly to the router has full net access so it appears that if the laptop is not at 5 out of 5 bars the router shuts down connection the net for that laptop alone. I can log into the routers admin panel etc from anywhere and the admin area shows the laptop happily connected yet no net access unless it's within 10 feet of the router. Does this make any sense to anyone here :confused:

The signal bars in windows are hilarious at times. It will happily sit there and tell you that there are five bars but at the same stage neglect to mention that the network speed is now a healthy 56kb.

Sounds like a bandwidth issue

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Spear wrote: »
    Done the usual things like change channel, compare with another wireless adapter etc, site survey to see what other networks are around?

One other network presumably next door neighbours. Will be back over there with our own eircom router to see if that solves it. Changing channel tbh I had never heard of.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,539 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

One other network presumably next door neighbours. Will be back over there with our own eircom router to see if that solves it. Changing channel tbh I had never heard of.

There's a limited set of 11 to 14 wifi channels depending on region. They're not entirely separate and overlap slightly too. It's possible that they're on the same channel, or a nearby one, and are interfering. Try Netstumbler or Inssider to scan about and see who could be interfering. Changing channel is just an option on the router.

Advertisement