Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Megane Scenic - makes weird noise when trying to start first time

Options
  • 21-09-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I have a 04 Renault Megane Scenic, when I start it in the morning or after a couple of hours in the parking it makes a weird sounds - like something metallic whirring.....sometimes it cuts out and won't start first time and then starts second or third time.

It often happens first time I start it in the day. It will start eventually but it's irritating. I have asked one of the garage to look in to it when I was changing the timing belt, they have just replaced the battery and it didn't help.

Does anyone had the same problem and fixed it any garage in Dublin? If anyone knows about this problem, can you please share the information with me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Does it sound a bit like crunching at all on startup? It's been a while since I heard the soudn but what your hearing could be what I'm thinking.

Get it to a garage with diagnostic equipment. My money is on the crankshaft or its associated parts or sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

If its during starting then it may be the starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I thought all Meganes were like that......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

My Clio used to do the same. I was told it was the starter going.

I never found out for sure as that was the least of its problems before I got rid of it

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

The noise could be the De-Phaser Pulley which gives trouble on 1.6 and 2.0 petrol scenic - expensive.
    Info here http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34284
    Check out the audio example on the 2nd page of that link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I thought all Meganes were like that......
    You forgot the :o when you realised you were wrong ;).
    johnos1984 wrote: »
    My Clio used to do the same. I was told it was the starter going.

I never found out for sure as that was the least of its problems before I got rid of it
    I doubtful it's the same problem as a bad starter wouldn't cause it to cut out though.

However I'm guessing the OP may be describing 2 problems,
    1) the starter solenoid is occasionally sticking hence the whirring noise you hear.
    2) a dirty or failing crank sensor can cause the engine to turn over but not start or cut out, especially when hot. Once diagnosed, cleaning or replacement should be a 15 min job.

[edit]
    or Armadillo's dephaser
    [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I doubtful it's the same problem as a bad starter wouldn't cause it to cut out though.

The Clio used to make the whirring/grinding noise when trying to start it. This was identified as the starter.

It also used to be hard to start other times when it was cold and cut out however this issue was a TDC sensor which is a common failure in them

I should of been more clear in what I was saying

Its amazing what you can find on the internet. Looks like the new owner got tired of it after a couple of months too

http://www.adverts.ie/218124/cars/2004-renault-clio-12-dynamique/

At least my ad was honest....

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

The non starting intermittantly could be TDC (top dead centre) sensor also known as cam shaft sensor. It might just need cleaning or replacing.
    See here http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10062&highlight=tdc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Armadillo wrote: »
    The noise could be the De-Phaser Pulley which gives trouble on 1.6 and 2.0 petrol scenic - expensive.
    Info here http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34284
    Check out the audio example on the 2nd page of that link.

+1

Well known to give trouble on this engine in the Scenic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭konline

Thank you all for your inputs. I have looked in to the link given by Armadillo and I have listened to the audio. My car doesn't start first time in the morning but it makes grinding noise as in the audio.

Doesn't anyone recommend a decent garage who has fixed this kind of problem? I have read some stories in the other websites where people have had bad experiences and changed everything in the engine by incompetent mechanics.

If it's a known issue with most of the Renault cars then Renault should fix this for free of cost, isn't it?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

konline wrote: »
    If it's a known issue with most of the Renault cars then Renault should fix this for free of cost, isn't it?

If cars have been recalled for this fault, yes. Since yours is well outside warranty I'd doubt they'll replace it for free though.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭konline

Yes, you are right.

Doesn't anyone recommend a decent garage who have fixed this kind of problem?

Confab wrote: »
    If cars have been recalled for this fault, yes. Since yours is well outside warranty I'd doubt they'll replace it for free though.

Advertisement