Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ronaldo heading back to United (another slow news day for Goal.com)

• 21-09-2010 1:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭
    °°°°°

This has to be a candidate for the most daft story of the week.
    Seemingly United are ready to launch a £100m bid to bring the unhappy Ronaldo back to Old Trafford.

A £100m bid from a club desperately clinging onto any sense of financial stability to be spent on a player they sold last year.

Here's the link... http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2010/09/21/2129090/manchester-united-readying-sensational-bid-to-bring-real
    Manchester United are plotting to launch an astonishing bid to bring Real Madrid’s world record signing Cristiano Ronaldo back to English football, reports suggest.

Goal.com Spain comments that sources in the capital believe Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson wants to lure CR7 back to the venue where his career flourished under the legendary coach, with an audacious €100 million bid being readied.

Glazers Out!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

why bother posting that tbh. In the words of SAF, its absolute nonsense.

close thread please

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

nullzero wrote: »
    This has to be a candidate for the most daft story of the week.
    Seemingly United are ready to launch a £100m bid to bring the unhappy Ronaldo back to Old Trafford.

A £100m bid from a club desperately clinging onto any sense of financial stability to be spent on a player they sold last year.

Here's the link... http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer-zone/2010/09/21/2129090/manchester-united-readying-sensational-bid-to-bring-real

Considering the chances of this happening, your username is rediculously fitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

call me a numpty, but i believe he'll be back at Utd some day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Explains why they kept the money anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

SlickRic wrote: »

I think he'll be back when his contract with Madrid runs out, tbh.
    I don't think he realised how good he at it at United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Horse ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

baz2009 wrote: »

and he intimated as much in February.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/players/cristiano-ronaldo/7234785/Cristiano-Ronaldo-Manchester-United-return-possible.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

I would be surprise if united had some sort of clause inserted where we could buy him back if ronaldo wanted a return

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

SlickRic wrote: »

I believe this too. I think he will finnish his career at OT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Man Utd would never match the wages he'll finish up on at Real, would they? His pay increases every year apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i also think he will be back someday....fergie did say the only player he would ever spend 60 million on would be ronaldo.

if we ever got him back, it would cost far less than 100 million, i would think 50 million in fact would be tops.

one major factor is the manager - fergie incharge, then its defo a possibility. fergie is like a 2nd dad for him. i honestly believe that if there relationship wasnt so close, fergie wouldnt have let him go. he felt he owed ronaldo for all the loyalty he showed to united and couldnt say no to him. they had a deal - one more year and if real provided the biggest transfer deal of all time, fergie would leave him go...

viva ronaldo......... i miss him :(..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ronaldo ain't leaving Madrid any time soon and Fergie only has a few more years at United so the two won't be reunited professionally. Plus I can't recall off the top of my head Fergie selling a player and then bringing him back. I would doubt that Ronaldo will play for United again.

He did piss me off with the manner in which he left with all that 'I'm being treated like a slave' nonsense but I'm not hostile towards him any more as he did provide great memories and seems to have many himself. Plus, Fergie seems to get on well with him. If he returned with Madrid I'd hope he'd get a good reception. I think that's the only time he'll play at Old Trafford again.

He did piss me off with the manner in which he left with all that 'I'm being treated like a slave' nonsense but I'm not hostile towards him any more as he did provide great memories and seems to have many himself. Plus, Fergie seems to get on well with him. If he returned with Madrid I'd hope he'd get a good reception. I think that's the only time he'll play at Old Trafford again.

Was it not Tevez that said he ws being treated like a slave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Was it not Tevez that said he ws being treated like a slave?

No.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/ronaldo-i-am-a-slave-864958.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

lol at me hoping this is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Jebus OP. Why on earth would you bother to create a thread for this story, couldn't you have just posted it in the Superthread and we could have ridiculed it in there? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

I think he'll be back when his contract with Madrid runs out, tbh.

As opposed to how tough he has it over in Madrid?

fkiely wrote: »
    As opposed to how tough he has it over in Madrid?

He was the man at United, everything revlved around him and the crowd loved him.
    Madrid fans would have less patience for him if he was on a run of bad form and he's not at the God-like status he was at for United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Excellent (in a mr burns voice). Now, lets get Tevez, Alan Smith, Phil Neville and Diego Forlan back too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

He was the man at United, everything revlved around him and the crowd loved him.
    Madrid fans would have less patience for him if he was on a run of bad form and he's not at the God-like status he was at for United.

That's very debatable I think. He’s bigger at Real now than he ever was at Man United. The Madrid fans idolise him more than anybody else at the club (bar perhaps Ramos and Casilles) He had a great season last year and is now playing for probably the best manager in the world. The potential at Real right now is second to none in the world. He could win everything this season. I think he has it perfectly fine in Madrid as it is. I doubt he’s pining for a return to Manchester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

fkiely wrote: »
    That's very debatable I think. He’s bigger at Real now than he ever was at Man United. The Madrid fans idolise him more than anybody else at the club (bar perhaps Ramos and Casilles) He had a great season last year and is now playing for probably the best manager in the world. The potential at Real right now is second to none in the world. He could win everything this season. I think he has it perfectly fine in Madrid as it is. I doubt he’s pining for a return to Manchester.

I was listening to Sid Lowe not long ago on The Guardian's podcast and he was saying a section of their fanbase has been jeering him as they feel he is too selfish (shooting when he should pass etc.)

I would agree though that everything is in place for him to win everything (including winning the boo boys over).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont think he would have made the move to Madrid if he felt like he was going be back at Old Trafford within 2 - 3 years.

It would be great for the EPL to have a player of his ability back in the league though, maybe someday he will be abck just I wouldnt hold my breath if I was a Man Utd fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Dancor wrote: »
    I believe this too. I think he will finnish his career at OT.

Nah, he'll finish it in the US like Henry and Beckham, the Americans would pay top dollar for him and you can rest assured he'd enjoy that lifestyle more than Manchester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Seen him play in the Bernabeau last January, the fans absolutely loved him. Same night he scored 2 and got sent off.
    He seems to have it all at his feet now. He ain't leaving anytime soon imo-a good hooker story or something would complete his status:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

deisedevil wrote: »
    Jebus OP. Why on earth would you bother to create a thread for this story, couldn't you have just posted it in the Superthread and we could have ridiculed it in there? :D

I thought everyone might like to ridicule it.
    Funny to think these lad's at Goal.com are getting paid to come up with these stories.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Excellent (in a mr burns voice). Now, lets get Tevez, Alan Smith, Phil Neville and Diego Forlan back too.

Lol, Alan Smith:pac:

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I'm not sure on this. It all depends on what Madrid win over the next two/three years I'd say.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hopefully Jose will bring him with him in a couple of years time.

VIVA RONALDO! VIVA RONALDO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

There's been rumors about this since he went there, so it's not even an original made up story. One thing though, he's never seemed to fit in as well with real as he did with united, there's too many other selfish players for his liking i'd say, but he won't come back anytime soon, he's too happy with the lifestyle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Id give an awful lot to have Ronnie back at the club, i dont see it happening though, ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

nullzero wrote: »
    Funny to think these lad's at Goal.com are getting paid to come up with these stories.

As funny as you reading it, linking to it and starting a 3 page (and growing) bulletin board discussion on it?

I think those guys know what they're doing to be honest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Earlier I posted that the chances of this story being true are zero. I just want to add to this-I think the story as it stands is utter tripe. Ronaldo is going nowhere in the short term.

Despite the diving and moaning, I think that Ronaldo is one of the most driven athlethes in world sport today. He has made it clear that he wants to be on the same page of greats as Pele and Maradona, and has stated that he needs to win every major honor in football. International accolades aside, that means he needs to win everything in Spain just like he won everything in England with United. After that, you are probably looking at a Serie A title (no disrespect to other leagues).

Ronaldo has stated many times that he loved his time at United, but his need to be the greatest player of all time means he had to do what was right for his career, and that meant moving to Madrid.

IF he wins everthing in Spain (and I think under Mourinho, he will over the next 3-4 years), I can see him looking at leaving Madrid. Whether he will want to go back to United or push for another challenge outside of Spain and England is another matter. Also, in their current situation, I cannot see United competing for a player who would be in his late 20s by that time (financially and policy-wise).

I'd personally love to see him back at some stage, providing it's in the best interest of the club. Whether it will happen or not, pretty much impossible to predict.

°°°°°

Neil3030 wrote: »
    As funny as you reading it, linking to it and starting a 3 page (and growing) bulletin board discussion on it?

I think those guys know what they're doing to be honest.

You really got my number there.

Now everyone's taking the story seriously and it's all my fault.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement