Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Management

Options
  • 21-09-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,
    I am a sys admin looking to enhance my skillset as there is talk of outsourcing IT in my company so I want to make myself as marketable as possible. I already have a few certs such as MCSE, VMware, etc. I'd like to add Project Management to the list as it is an area I am interested in plus it means future opportunities may not be limited to sys admin work only.

As part of my role, I manage a lot of large multi team projects anyway and would like to beef up my CV a little bit with a formal certification. Are there many opportunities for project managers around Dublin today? Would people recommend doing a Prince or PMP certification?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

PRINCE2 is a week long course with two exams in the middle. Easy enough to do.

PMP is another dog altogether it requires a long process where you show how you have worked on multiple large projects at the same time.

If you want a quick cert then PRINCE2 is fine. PMP is something which will take you a lot longer but still doable

There's always Project Management Jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 raul2010

Thanks for that. From an employers perspective, do they tend to value PMP a lot higher than Prince?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I would say Yes, PMP is like a professional certification while PRINCE2 is more...common(?) for want of a better word.

Have a look through the PMP certification process. It takes time to get one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Theres a very good PM course in DBS, I attended it a couple of years ago, it lasts a couple of months doing one evening a week. You get to discuss real projects and methods with real highly experienced project managers. Although the lecturers don't concentrate on either prince 2 or PMP they do touch on elements of both which for me was better as some places use PMP, some use prince 2 and others use MS project...

I found the diploma certainly opened a lot more doors and I'm now doing Six sigma which is really interesting. There isn't a huge amount of Infra projects going at the moment, its a hard nut to crack to get into pure project management within infra but its a good feather in the cap of a Sys admin. (like myself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fidelma_1

You should do PMP or IPMA certification. Prince isn't really that recognised. For PMP you have to have a certain amount of experience and hours of training. It's the similar for IPMA but there are different steps to IPMA so you can start at Level D and work up to C, B etc. It's also internationally recognised (International Project Management Association). It's really important to go to a quality institution/college. It seems that every college under the sun is providing project management courses these days! If you want to spend a year doing a masters you can go to Trinity or UCD. If you want a professional qualification and to study while working the institute of project management of ireland is well known.

• Advertisement
Advertisement